Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

Batch 100!

Recommended Posts

Any suggestions for my 100th batch?  This will be my final recipe so I'm looking to craft something really special.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Any suggestions for my 100th batch?  This will be my final recipe so I'm looking to craft something really special.

Maybe re-brew your 1st?  I've always wanted to do that b/c it succckkkkked!  It was Mr. Beer Oktoberfest fermented at a fiery 79+ degrees in late August.  Ahhhh...  the good ole days!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Any suggestions for my 100th batch?  This will be my final recipe so I'm looking to craft something really special.

What do you mean final batch???

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

What do you mean final batch???

 

I just threw that bit in to get the conversation started.  Sorry, Creeps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Maybe re-brew your 1st?  I've always wanted to do that b/c it succckkkkked!  It was Mr. Beer Oktoberfest fermented at a fiery 79+ degrees in late August.  Ahhhh...  the good ole days!

 

Well, that would have been Diablo IPA brewed that same August.  It turned out good enough though to start me on this crazy adventure.  I do remember trying to pick between Diablo and Bewitched Amber for my first brew, like it was the most important decision of my life at that time.  Good ole days indeed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

Well, that would have been Diablo IPA brewed that same August.  It turned out good enough though to start me on this crazy adventure.  I do remember trying to pick between Diablo and Bewitched Amber for my first brew, like it was the most important decision of my life at that time.  Good ole days indeed!

What I remember the most BB, was being very excited in mid-October to share it w/my family at a Sunday afternoon pasta party.  I was pumped!  Unfortunately it ended like tasting like a lighter version of Michelobe Ultra...  ass in a bottle!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading through all the brews in your sig block, I don't know that at this stage of my brewing career I could come up with anything near as creative as what you've already done. 

 

Either way, congrats on hitting the Century mark!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shrike said:

Reading through all the brews in your sig block, I don't know that at this stage of my brewing career I could come up with anything near as creative as what you've already done. 

 

Either way, congrats on hitting the Century mark!

 

Thanks Shrike.  All I know for sure is that the recipe will utilize at least one Mr. Beer HME, some wheat, and a mash -- maybe a moderately hopped doppelweizen, doppelwit, or some other inspired hybrid style.  If you come up with anything, let me know! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think DoppelWit would be the most appropriate.  It would use 1 (or 2) of 7 remaining Bavarian Weisbier HMEs that I still have left from the binge buying last year.  A German/Belgian Wit would also allow for some creativity with grains, spices and adjuncts. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then enter @MRB Tim, going on the offensive (in boisterous fashion) and upping the beer wars ante with a 3rd recipe.  I am forced to cover with yet another BelgiMex brew so Batch 100 may well be a SOB (South Of the Border) Grisette.  @MrWhy, 2nd place is in jeopardy! ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think @AnthonyC is onto something. This is your 100th batch. It has to have an emotional hook. You can brew a creative recipe anytime. What is going to make the 100th special?

 

I like the idea of re-imagining your first beer. That is something I am doing once a year. (Well, I've done it once and plan on doing it next spring.) My first ended up being a Belgian Amber so each year I am going to brew it up but change it, hopefully for the better.


Since your 1st was a Diablo IPA, why don't you go with that as the base? I like big beers, so I would say that for the 100th batch it needs to be 10% ABV with a ridiculous hop profile. I don't really know how the wheat fits in, but why not......

 

& regarding the Great Mexican-Belgian War....have no worries.....I've got two things up my sleeve. And while I don't want drop any spoilers, let's just say that La Noche Fuerte is not done......the recipe for Una Otra Noche Fuerte is ready and going to get dropped in this mix soon. But wait. Finish chewing the bacon and have a sip of coffee. I'm not done.

Wait for it.

 

Una Manana Brilliante is almost ready to be revealed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bonsai & Brew

 

I just thought of something.......

 

El Diablo....that is The Devil....IN SPANISH.

 

Why not for recipe 100 do a wicked Belgian IPA using EL DIABLO as the base. It not only fulfills the narrative need for an emotional connection to the 100th recipe, but also adds a nice Mexi-Belgian IPA into the mix.

 

Boom.

 

With that I gather up my guitar, I mount my donkey, and we ride off into the desert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

@Bonsai & Brew

 

I just thought of something.......

 

El Diablo....that is The Devil....IN SPANISH.

 

Why not for recipe 100 do a wicked Belgian IPA using EL DIABLO as the base. It not only fulfills the narrative need for an emotional connection to the 100th recipe, but also adds a nice Mexi-Belgian IPA into the mix.

 

Boom.

 

With that I gather up my guitar, I mount my donkey, and we ride off into the desert.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

@Bonsai & Brew

 

I just thought of something.......

 

El Diablo....that is The Devil....IN SPANISH.

 

Why not for recipe 100 do a wicked Belgian IPA using EL DIABLO as the base. It not only fulfills the narrative need for an emotional connection to the 100th recipe, but also adds a nice Mexi-Belgian IPA into the mix.

 

Boom.

 

With that I gather up my guitar, I mount my donkey, and we ride off into the desert.

 

Before you ride off very far, please accept my gratitude for your suggestions and encouragement!  I don't know who you are Why, but you always seem to keep the rest of us on our toes.B)

 

Now then, it should come as no surprise that I'm no hop head, but:

 

1.  I have a Diablo HME that expired in May.

2.  I have an oversupply of hops.

3.  I can mash.

4.  El Diablo Supreme Belgian IPA would be fun to brew.

5.  Little mini-saison can wait.

 

It's done then.  Thanks @AnthonyC & @MrWhy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 0:43 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

The challenge will be to differentiate El Diablo from Josh's Chewbeerca but I'll give it a shot.

 

I ride back into town. Dusty. Thirsty. I don't need to rope my donkey. He is a good donkey. He stays where he needs to stay. I pat his head and with a dry, raspy voice mutter "muy bueno amigo." I take my guitar and stroll into "el pub." It is a busy night, but all stops as the door swings open. You could hear a drop of beer hit el piso. 

 

"Senor. We thought you would be gone for a lot longer" the bartender says.

 

"So did I."

 

I walk up to the bar. It is full but someone moves to give me their spot. The bartender comes over. He is a little man with a large mustache. He doesn't need to ask what I want and he pours me a beer. This place may be hot and dirty, but the beer is cold and clean. I sip. It's an Azteca Cervesa. It's good.

 

"We are glad you are back." He says after I finish a long pull. He leans in and in a whisper says "A brewer needs help. It;s @Bonsai & Brew"

 

I take another drink.

 

"He is trying to make a mexican-belgium ipa. I don't know. These guys are crazy. Anyways, he doesn't know how to make it different from the chewbeerca we have here."

 

I take one more long drink. And I keep drinking. I finish the beer and lean in to him.

 

"Ancho Chile" I whisper.

 

I lean back and close my eyes.

 

"An Ancho chile spiced IPA with Belgium yeast."

 

I open my eyes. His mouth is hanging open. Once again the place has fallen silent. 

 

I grab my guitar, get up and walk out. My good donkey is still there patiently waiting. One day I will name this donkey. But not today. I hop on. 

 

And once again we ride into the sunset, into the desert night.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the end of the story where you "hop on" the donkey!  Great IPA pun!  :-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

This reminds me of a song... a very good one too. 

 

 

 

I'm going to get autobiographical and drop a #truestory.

 

I had a brief moment of transcendent popularity when this album dropped because I was the first in my class to memorize this (Paul Revere) and could rap it like I was the fourth member of the Beastie Boys.

 

I can still rap this with like, 95% accuracy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

I'm going to get autobiographical and drop a #truestory.

 

I had a brief moment of transcendent popularity when this album dropped because I was the first in my class to memorize this (Paul Revere) and could rap it like I was the fourth member of the Beastie Boys.

 

I can still rap this with like, 95% accuracy.

I sang it at karaoke one night and the bartender was like "ive never heard that one before. That was a pretty cool song" i was shocked it wasnt more popular

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I sang it at karaoke one night and the bartender was like "ive never heard that one before. That was a pretty cool song" i was shocked it wasnt more popular

 

Listen up @Creeps McLane -

 

Is there ANY reason that Karaoke is not on the list of activities for the the First Annual Mr. Beer Community Forum Gathering? And is there ANY reason we are not rapping Paul Revere after getting slammered on a flight of Mexican-Belgium War beers?

 

And then we take a selfie, me, you, my donkey and @RickBeer (our keynote speaker?)


I mean, any reason other than that so far none of this has been officially planned?

 

I will get working on this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I call I get to do a seminar where I just argue with people and contradict myself and end the session with "F it, do what you want" then i sign a few LBKs and go kill Johnny B Good in karaoke 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I call I get to do a seminar where I just argue with people and contradict myself and end the session with "F it, do what you want" then i sign a few LBKs and go kill Johnny B Good in karaoke 

 

Cool. 

 

I'm running one called  "Chasing ABV - Making Drunk Mad Scientist Work for You."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Cool. 

 

I'm running one called  "Chasing ABV - Making Drunk Mad Scientist Work for You."

? rick will most certainly not be attending. Him and hoppy will just be sitting at different ends of the auditorium trying not make eye contact. Theyre like felix and oscar

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I raise my mug with a hearty toast to black electrical tape.  Today, I was able to repair a shorted vacuum cleaner, a leaking pond hose, and perform an emergency graft on a Japanese maple.  Amazing stuff...?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Oh, and Batch 100 OG was 1.080, IBUs 100.

Huh?> you could not make it 1.100?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nickfixit said:

Huh?> you could not make it 1.100?

 

I know, but you never know with BIAB mashing if you'll even get close to the calculated efficiency.  I will leave OG 1.100 to @MrWhy when he reaches his 100th batch.  At the same time, it would have been pretty easy to throw all stylistic caution into the wind and thrown in a couple packs of booster.?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

I ride back into town. Dusty. Thirsty. I don't need to rope my donkey. He is a good donkey. He stays where he needs to stay. I pat his head and with a dry, raspy voice mutter "muy bueno amigo." I take my guitar and stroll into "el pub." It is a busy night, but all stops as the door swings open. You could hear a drop of beer hit el piso. 

 

"Senor. We thought you would be gone for a lot longer" the bartender says.

 

"So did I."

 

I walk up to the bar. It is full but someone moves to give me their spot. The bartender comes over. He is a little man with a large mustache. He doesn't need to ask what I want and he pours me a beer. This place may be hot and dirty, but the beer is cold and clean. I sip. It's an Azteca Cervesa. It's good.

 

"We are glad you are back." He says after I finish a long pull. He leans in and in a whisper says "A brewer needs help. It;s @Bonsai & Brew"

 

I take another drink.

 

"He is trying to make a mexican-belgium ipa. I don't know. These guys are crazy. Anyways, he doesn't know how to make it different from the chewbeerca we have here."

 

I take one more long drink. And I keep drinking. I finish the beer and lean in to him.

 

"Ancho Chile" I whisper.

 

I lean back and close my eyes.

 

"An Ancho chile spiced IPA with Belgium yeast."

 

I open my eyes. His mouth is hanging open. Once again the place has fallen silent. 

 

I grab my guitar, get up and walk out. My good donkey is still there patiently waiting. One day I will name this donkey. But not today. I hop on. 

 

And once again we ride into the sunset, into the desert night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Any suggestions for my 100th batch?  This will be my final recipe so I'm looking to craft something really special.

summer kolsch? I know i'm responding too late

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

summer kolsch? I know i'm responding too late

 

I just picked up a pack of K-97 yesterday so very soon on that one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the S-189 swiss lager yeast on a kolsch this last spring, not bad, this yeast strain isn't for the high ABV or flavor. more of light crisp swiss lager. I wanted to keep things more simpler

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I tried the S-189 swiss lager yeast on a kolsch this last spring, not bad, this yeast strain isn't for the high ABV or flavor. more of light crisp swiss lager. I wanted to keep things more simpler

 

What is a Swiss Lager anyway?  I've seen S-189 at the LHBS, but have not tried it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one's for you @MrWhy and @AnthonyC.  I had a 6 oz. bottle of Devil Went Down to Belgium with my lasagna lunch today.  How can I put this...it's hot (8.5% ABV) and hoppy, yet carries a nice malty backbone that keeps everything in check.  Thanks again for helping me out with Batch 100!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Devil Went Down to Belgium

Still love this name... and was actually singing its theme song this past Thursday (I admit, I might have been several in, but still! lol)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2017 at 0:38 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

This one's for you @MrWhy and @AnthonyC.  I had a 6 oz. bottle of Devil Went Down to Belgium with my lasagna lunch today.  How can I put this...it's hot (8.5% ABV) and hoppy, yet carries a nice malty backbone that keeps everything in check.  Thanks again for helping me out with Batch 100!

 

It sounds like a fine brew, worthy of the name. Not that we would expect anything less of you. Still, simply meeting the expectations you've set is an accomplishment in and of itself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...