Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KaijuBrew

Brown Bag special turned out great!

Brown bag special was my second partial mash recipe.  It turned out great with a delightful head and color.  Taste is on the sweeter side compared to other beers but typical for the style.

At this point, I am only going to brew partial mash recipes!

IMG_3535.jpg

• Like 9

I have been doing everything from partial mash to plain extract. Depends mostly on the time available. What style of beer were you trying for? Whatever it is it looks great!

• Like 2

Congrat's on a successful brew!  But if I may, don't let a lack of grain in a recipe deter you from trying one.  Three of the brews I'm REALLY enjoying now are American Burleywine, Witch's Flight, and Noche del Lobo.  And I just tried a young Beauty and the Yeast tonight and it was quite tasty.  All four of those don't call for grain.  I do really enjoy all of the partial mash brews I've done so far, but I don't discount the pure extract ones out of hand.

Now, having said that, my standard operating procedure for a non-PM brew is to always steep 4oz of carapils before starting the extract part of the recipe just to add some body and head retention.  So, technically I guess, ALL of my brews are PM. :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Brian N. said:

I have been doing everything from partial mash to plain extract. Depends mostly on the time available. What style of beer were you trying for? Whatever it is it looks great!

Thanks Brian.  This is the brown bag special recipe Mr. Beer developed - sort of a craft brew take on Malt Liquor.

The head was best I have achieved - I guess that is the corn.  It really worked out well.  The taste is very unique - almost a little sweet.

I am learning the secret to a good beer photo is to put a light source behind the glass so you can see the color and carbonation!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shrike said:

Congrat's on a successful brew!  But if I may, don't let a lack of grain in a recipe deter you from trying one.  Three of the brews I'm REALLY enjoying now are American Burleywine, Witch's Flight, and Noche del Lobo.  And I just tried a young Beauty and the Yeast tonight and it was quite tasty.  All four of those don't call for grain.  I do really enjoy all of the partial mash brews I've done so far, but I don't discount the pure extract ones out of hand.

Now, having said that, my standard operating procedure for a non-PM brew is to always steep 4oz of carapils before starting the extract part of the recipe just to add some body and head retention.  So, technically I guess, ALL of my brews are PM. :)

Good tips, @Shrike!

Actually I have enjoyed some extract recipes too - like Novocaine.  Even just a straight up diablo or long play IPA has turned out well for me  As well as all extract coffee stout.

I am getting better at temp control with a mini fridge for brewing or ice packs.  Plus monitoring temps every day with tack on temp strips on my LBKs.

I like your idea of always seeping in some Carapils to add body to whatever beer you make.

I guess I am just high on the consistently good results I am getting with partial mashing!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kedogn said:

While this thread is almost 5 years old (holy cow!), it has some good information on it and worth a read about steeping cara-pils...

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/21382-stop-the-presses-steeping-cara-pils-not-effective/

Nice find!  Other interesting tidbit that I noticed was a member named FedoraDave who had over 10,500 posts.  I bet that guy's a fountain of information.  I wonder what ever happened to him??

11 minutes ago, kedogn said:

While this thread is almost 5 years old (holy cow!), it has some good information on it and worth a read about steeping cara-pils...

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/21382-stop-the-presses-steeping-cara-pils-not-effective/

That's a good read.  Unfortunately there's no definitive conclusions on whether it's worth it or not.  I notice a difference with my beers (or I've convinced myself that I do :) ), so will continue.  I suppose a blind test between the same HME made with, without, and maybe another that uses maltodextrin instead of carapils would be helpful in seeing how much it adds to body and head retention.  

One thing that's not addressed in that thread, though, is that steeping grains is supposed to help mitigate extract "twang" (Conway?  Are you there, Mr. Twitty? :) ).  Mashed grains are supposed to be more effective, but steeped grains help, just not as much as mashing.  And in that area I have noticed a difference.  The only time I use the carapils is when the recipe is extract only or extract plus booster.  If there are already grains in the recipe I don't bother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Nice find!  Other interesting tidbit that I noticed was a member named FedoraDave who had over 10,500 posts.  I bet that guy's a fountain of information.  I wonder what ever happened to him??

Good ole FedoraDave.  I run into him on Facebook from time to time still.  he was a fountain of knowledge back in the day, be that about beer or BBQ :)

That post was a trip down memory lane, both good and bad, for me with some of those names... a few I have had the chance to have beers 'in real life" with as well :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shrike said:

That's a good read.  Unfortunately there's no definitive conclusions on whether it's worth it or not.  I notice a difference with my beers (or I've convinced myself that I do :) ), so will continue.  I suppose a blind test between the same HME made with, without, and maybe another that uses maltodextrin instead of carapils would be helpful in seeing how much it adds to body and head retention.  

One thing that's not addressed in that thread, though, is that steeping grains is supposed to help mitigate extract "twang" (Conway?  Are you there, Mr. Twitty? :) ).  Mashed grains are supposed to be more effective, but steeped grains help, just not as much as mashing.  And in that area I have noticed a difference.  The only time I use the carapils is when the recipe is extract only or extract plus booster.  If there are already grains in the recipe I don't bother.

I think the point that jumped out at me is multiple sources talking about only 20% utilization over all if you steep.  Imagine (if you will) that if you like your results from steeping, how much better it could be if you added a little 2-row and did a mini mash :)

2 minutes ago, kedogn said:

I think the point that jumped out at me is multiple sources talking about only 20% utilization over all if you steep.  Imagine (if you will) that if you like your results from steeping, how much better it could be if you added a little 2-row and did a mini mash :)

I saw that and might have to do an extract-only brew, once with steeped carapils and once with carapils mashed with some two-row to compare.  I'll have to add that to the end of my brew to-do list. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I saw that and might have to do an extract-only brew, once with steeped carapils and once with carapils mashed with some two-row to compare.  I'll have to add that to the end of my brew to-do list. :)

You gotta appreciate having an "excuse" to brew :)

4 minutes ago, kedogn said:

You gotta appreciate having an "excuse" to brew :)

I can always come up with one.

"Today's Fourth of July Eve Eve, I should brew."

"It's raining out, I should brew."

"It's Rene Russo's birthday, I should brew."

"I want to brew so I should brew."

:)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I've used a lot of "excuses" but I can honestly say I have never brewed because it was Rene Russo's birthday lol :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

Add "Sorry I can't spend the day with my MIL, I'm scheduled to brew that day!"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Add "Sorry I can't spend the day with my MIL, I'm scheduled to brew that day!"

That is my most favorite "excuse" for sure :)

• Like 1

On July 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM, AnthonyC said:

@Shrike  BAZINGA!!

IMG_0334.JPG

"We danced every dance and lord the Beer we went through, that night I met a lady wearing tight fittin' jeans"

• Like 3