Mr.Beer Community
WisconsinBadger

"That Voodoo You Do" Input Sought

Greetings all and thanks for your help in the past. I’ve made six batches (all from the basic kits) in the past 6 months and have been loving the results.

I’m now planning to try my first Deluxe Kit, the That Voodoo You Do, because I’ve really enjoyed the Bewitched Ale kit.

Anyway, I’ve been following the timing formula you have all advised: 3 weeks ferment/4 weeks carb and conditioning rather than that advised on the kit label; 2 weeks ferment/ 2 weeks carb and conditioning. Now, this deluxe That Voodoo You Do kit advises 3 weeks ferment/ 2 weeks carb and 1 to 2 months conditioning, so… should I extend the ferment to 4 weeks and the carb and conditioning to 3 or 4 months? (and yes, I have found that the more conditioning the better the flavor – but that first taste is always anticipated).

Opinions? Experiences? Thanks!

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I'm brewing this one tomorrow.

There's no need to go any longer than three weeks for the fermentation.  As for the conditioning, it's up to you, but I find MRB's recommended conditioning times to be pretty accurate for the most part.  So I see no reason to wait three or four months...unless you have much, much more patience than I do. :) .  Me, I plan on trying it one month after bottling to see how it is.  If it needs more time I'll wait one more month, then try one a week or so after that.

Oh, and don't forget the brown sugar (as at least one reviewer did).

• Like 3

Thanks Shrike. I've got the brown sugar ready. This will be my first use of the LME. I'm really looking forward to this batch....forward to September.  Oh September...sounds like this is going to be some football beer! See, two things to look forward to with this batch.

Let me know how yours turns out, Shrike.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2017 at 7:47 AM, Kevin Caffrey said:

Just brewed this recipe yesterday -- will be ready for kickoff on September 7th!  :D

Kevin

This one started fermenting SUPER fast (within the first 12-24 hours) so brewing it in July had to really monitor the temperature and be dutiful with changing the ice bottles in my cooler.

Kevin

• Like 1

The reason it is recommended to let this one condition longer is the brown sugar and the higher ABV. 

This is one I would absolutely let sit in the bottle for 8 weeks before even trying one for sampling. It will take some time for everything to blend in and settle. 

It is worth the wait.

• Like 3

Got started a little late on this one, but I'm coming up on three weeks of fermenting, which should be the end point.

Just want to check one thing with you all; I added the recommended one packed cup of brown sugar to the ferment. Having done that, I still add the bottling sugar as well don't I? (I just don't want to overdue it and create a batch of gushers)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WisconsinBadger said:

I still add the bottling sugar as well don't I? (

Great question! Yes, you want to add priming sugar no matter what's in the beer. If the beer is ready to bottle, it won't have any fermentable sugars left in there. You'll always need to add more sugar to bottle carbonate. 

• Like 1

Awesome. I thought so but, you know, best to ask. And this forum is so great at helping without making me feel like the novice brewer knucklehead that I am.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, WisconsinBadger said:

Awesome. I thought so but, you know, best to ask. And this forum is so great at helping without making me feel like the novice brewer knucklehead that I am.

Oh you must not have met my friend Richard.  ?  JK...  check out the stickies under his name.   "RickBeer"

• Like 3

On 9/26/2017 at 6:53 PM, C-ya said:

@WisconsinBadger, @Shrike, @Kevin Caffrey, do yourselves a favor and let as many bottles age for as close to a year as you can.  Believe me, you won't be disappointed!

I believe you!  I had my first one at 6 weeks and it was very good.  At 7 weeks I also tasted a slight improvement.  This is a delicious, malty beer!  Not sure if I'll have the patience to let one age a full year though!

Kevin

@Kevin Caffrey, they just keep getting better the longer they sit.  Seriously, hide one or two and put a note on your calendar to go get them.  You'll kick yourself for not saving more!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, C-ya said:

@Kevin Caffrey, they just keep getting better the longer they sit.  Seriously, hide one or two and put a note on your calendar to go get them.  You'll kick yourself for not saving more!

You've convinced me - I'm gonna do it!  Thanks!

Kevin

• Like 2

Been trying to balance my stock by moving to the longer conditioning beers but you still gotta throw some quickies in there to keep brews on hand. 

I won't have an open fermenter for two weeks ,  There's a Voodoo mix on deck for it.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 5:53 PM, C-ya said:

@WisconsinBadger, @Shrike, @Kevin Caffrey, do yourselves a favor and let as many bottles age for as close to a year as you can.  Believe me, you won't be disappointed!

At 4 weeks I chilled and drank two of them and.....dang! this is what I love about home brewing. It was so delicious, smooth, complex...just an amazing beer. I'll let it sit, but keep sneaking another each month.

In fact I must get another batch going...it's just sooooo good. Voodoo is my new favorite!

• Like 3

Just bottled my first Voodoo, I gotta admit it tasted pretty good right from the LBK

• Like 2

I made a version of this, but I sorta forgot the brown sugar.....  (Oops).

Iwonder if I can put the brown sugar in the fermenter after fermenting for 8 days?

49 minutes ago, Cammanron said:

Iwonder if I can put the brown sugar in the fermenter after fermenting for 8 days?

I say let it ride as is. Then when you brew it again with the sugar you can compare and decide which you like better.

• Like 3

On 11/13/2017 at 8:13 PM, Cammanron said:

I would think you'd want to boil the brown sugar, let it cool to room temp then add it......But I doubt you'd want to stir it in so I'd probably do as suggested above and let it ride.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2017 at 8:15 PM, Cammanron said:

What it looks like right now....

IMG_20171113_102007956.jpg

Well, just bottled this beer yesterday, and it cleared up real nice. All the krausen has disappeared, the yeast cake is nicely compacted and the initial taste test was "very tasty".

I dry pitched the Bry-97 yeast, and used the UK pilgrim hops at flameout and kept it in during dry hop. 

I'm looking forward trying this one in about 5-6 weeks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cammanron said:

Well, just bottled this beer yesterday, and it cleared up real nice. All the krausen has disappeared, the yeast cake is nicely compacted and the initial taste test was "very tasty".

I dry pitched the Bry-97 yeast, and used the UK pilgrim hops at flameout and kept it in during dry hop. 

I'm looking forward trying this one in about 5-6 weeks.

I haven't heard on this forum of people using the UK Pilgrim hops, so it was an experiment and it seems to have worked out.

• Like 2