Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Danesporty

General temps and times?

Hi there!

Brand new to homebrewing but can't wait to get started. I have the Mr Beer American Lager. Was trying to determine temp and time for fermentation and bottle conditioning.

I'm planning on fermenting in my basement. Temp down there is a consistent 60-62 degrees. Was planning on 3 weeks fermentation.

For bottle conditioning, was going to leave in my laundry room which is right around 70 degrees. Would leave them there for 4 weeks. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Help would be very much appreciated!  Can't wait to get started!

• Like 3

Both of those temps should be fine for the the American Lager.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your first few brews will be learning the process, making some mistakes, getting better each time. Your first beer most likely will not be the best one you brew anyways!

15 hours ago, Danesporty said:

... I'm planning on fermenting in my basement. Temp down there is a consistent 60-62 degrees. Was planning on 3 weeks fermentation.

For bottle conditioning, was going to leave in my laundry room which is right around 70 degrees. Would leave them there for 4 weeks...

Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new too, but have picked up a few things through lots of reading and a little brewing.

First, you're lucky to have a cool room for fermenting. Still, if you have an old camping-style cooler sitting around that would accommodate your LBK, so much the better. During the first week your brew might get to 70 or above in a 62-degree room. If it's in an insulated box, you can drop in a frozen water bottle or two to get it back under 70. On the other hand, 60-62 might be a little chilly for the fermentation to finish off, so you might want to put in a bottle of warm water to get back up to 65 or so. A temperature strip on your fermenter ($2 or $3) would be useful.

Second, in my brief experience, I would say 4 weeks is just a bare minimum for carbonation/conditioning. My beers so far have been more than twice as good at 8 weeks than they are at 4. So I'm now planning to not even open one (except the little half bottles you sometimes end up with) until 6 weeks.

Jim

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Danesporty said:

Hi there!

Brand new to homebrewing but can't wait to get started. I have the Mr Beer American Lager. Was trying to determine temp and time for fermentation and bottle conditioning.

I'm planning on fermenting in my basement. Temp down there is a consistent 60-62 degrees. Was planning on 3 weeks fermentation.

For bottle conditioning, was going to leave in my laundry room which is right around 70 degrees. Would leave them there for 4 weeks. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Help would be very much appreciated!  Can't wait to get started!

Welcome to the forums!  Not sure if that's the right temp for a Lager.  I thought, depending on your yeast selection, that you'd have to go a bit cooler.  Maybe someone can help us both out.  ?

18 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Welcome to the forums!  Not sure if that's the right temp for a Lager.  I thought, depending on your yeast selection, that you'd have to go a bit cooler.  Maybe someone can help us both out.  ?

No, the standard MRB American Lager HME is brewed like an ale, using the regular MRB yeast and temp range.  It confused me, too, the first time I brewed with it which I believe was while making Dad's Favorite Cream Ale.

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

No, the standard MRB American Lager HME is brewed like an ale, using the regular MRB yeast and temp range.  It confused me, too, the first time I brewed with it which I believe was while making Dad's Favorite Cream Ale.

Thanks for the clarification, sir!  ??

question for the forum. i don't pull samples from the LBK during fermentation. I just go 3 weeks b/c @RickBeer chapter 1 verse 5 says so. Can I get away with 2 weeks? My lack of patience is getting the best of me at this moment. tell me to forget about it and go 3 and I will do that.

7 minutes ago, Jdub said:

question for the forum. i don't pull samples from the LBK during fermentation. I just go 3 weeks b/c @RickBeer chapter 1 verse 5 says so. Can I get away with 2 weeks? My lack of patience is getting the best of me at this moment. tell me to forget about it and go 3 and I will do that.

I do two weeks quite often but i also keg, different world. I can always pull the prv if i have to. 

Anywho, i dont take readings either but I generally go at least a week after i see all the krausen collapse as long as my temps are good. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I do two weeks quite often but i also keg, different world. I can always pull the prv if i have to. 

Anywho, i dont take readings either but I generally go at least a week after i see all the krausen collapse as long as my temps are good. 

i don't know if it makes a difference, but i also used a yeast starter with this batch and had some serious overflow. Had to use a blow off tube for this particular fermenter (not a LBK). my point is, could it have completed relatively quickly?

43 minutes ago, Jdub said:

I always go 18 days, and then 3 more days if cold crashing.

I always use the blow off tube on my mini bucket and brew bucket @Jdub. Particularly on the mini when you're squeezing close to 3 gal. Doesn't leave much headspace.

The issue is not whether it's done fermenting, it's whether the yeast is done cleaning up.  Try to go at least 18 days if you can.  Build a pipeline so you won't have impatience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cato said:

I always go 18 days, and then 3 more days if cold crashing.

I always use the blow off tube on my mini bucket and brew bucket @Jdub. Particularly on the mini when you're squeezing close to 3 gal. Doesn't leave much headspace.

thanks...think i will go 18. i have used the airlock with no problems on another batch, but this one got very aggressive! and yes, i filled to 3 gallons.

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

The issue is not whether it's done fermenting, it's whether the yeast is done cleaning up.  Try to go at least 18 days if you can.  Build a pipeline so you won't have impatience.

i know....i will go 18. i have a pretty respectable pipeline right now to the point that my wife is complaining about boxes of beer everywhere. However, i want to use this particular 3.5 gal fermenter and I only have one of them. I will wait.

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

i know....i will go 18. i have a pretty respectable pipeline right now to the point that my wife is complaining about boxes of beer everywhere. However, i want to use this particular 3.5 gal fermenter and I only have one of them. I will wait.

#homebrewproblems   😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

There are two solutions.

The first, taken by some, is to simply trade in the wife for one that doesn't complain about beer boxes.

The second, which costs less, is to mail some of your beer to offsite beer storage, for example Rickbeer's Beer Vault, where the motto is "You ship it to us for safekeeping, we keep it safe from you."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

There are two solutions.

The first, taken by some, is to simply trade in the wife for one that doesn't complain about beer boxes.

The second, which costs less, is to mail some of your beer to offsite beer storage, for example Rickbeer's Beer Vault, where the motto is "You ship it to us for safekeeping, we keep it safe from you."

ha ha....as they say...it's cheaper to keep her. so # 1 won't work. also it's against the rules to mail beer, and I would never ever ever do that. swear on a stack on John Palmer's How to Brew books. :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I have heard over the years he has had a few naive newbs select option #2. He's best at keeping your beer safe from you during and shortly after an annual thrashing from Ohio State.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, D Kristof said:

I have heard over the years he has had a few naive newbs select option #2. He's best at keeping your beer safe from you during and shortly after an annual thrashing from Ohio State.

Explains why when I first joined, he had 9 cases to go through before he could brew anymore beer!

• Haha 1