Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jasbo

What's the warmest you'd pitch US-05?

Recommended Posts

I'll fill in details later if anyone cares, but for now ... I have a batch of Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale in the LBK, but have not yet pitched because the wort is almost 80 degrees. I'm trying to cool it in my trusty Coleman, but it's slow going. How low do I need to get the wort temp before I can pitch Safale US-05? I see the Fermentis web site says 53.6-77 for the overall range, but I can't find a pitch temp.

 

I'm currently thinking I should try for 75 before pitching, but I don't want to wait forever. Any thoughts?

 

Jim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warmest I ever pitched 05 was 70 and my beer came out just fine. Any warmer the active fermentation temps could hit almost 80. I'd give it more time and ice packs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

Warmest I ever pitched 05 was 70 and my beer came out just fine. Any warmer the active fermentation temps could hit almost 80. I'd give it more time and ice packs. 

Thanks. I pitched it at right around 75. I plan to keep monitoring the temperatures and keeping it on a slow downward pace toward the mid-60s.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jasbo said:

Thanks. I pitched it at right around 75. I plan to keep monitoring the temperatures and keeping it on a slow downward pace toward the mid-60s.

 

Jim

 

Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sabres032 said:

 

Good luck. 

Again, thanks. Temps are now fine, but I'm kicking myself because it's a self-inflicted wound. I had only one gallon of refrigerated water on hand, because that had been enough for my last two batches to mix up at about 65 degrees.

 

I failed to make enough allowance for the fact that the wort I was pouring on top of the cold gallon in the LBK was probably about 7 cups instead of 4, because of extra water for the grains and a cup or two for a hot rinse of the grains. So I really needed another half gallon at least of refrigerated water on hand.

 

This was further exacerbated by my brilliant idea to put the Pale LME into the boil, thinking more sugars would help the hop utilization. So that made for more viscosity in the hot liquid, making it harder to cool. Hope I didn't just make a barrel full of esters by pitching at 75. I'm pretty sure I also messed up that nice blond color I was going for by boiling the LME.

 

Oh, well. Live and learn.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth, the US-05 instructions state that the temp HAS to be above 68 to pitch. 75 is fine. You didn't just make a barrel full of esters. Fermentation doesn't happen instantly. The yeast needs that nice, warm wort to get up and running. By they time they are doing their thing, your beer will be at a good temp. All will be well. Also, the temp range for US-05 is 53.6 to 77 degrees. 

 

As you have seen, once you start adding things...grains, LME, etc. then pitching temp becomes a bit more than just "add cold water." Next time, you might want to be ready to chill the wort before transfer. Give it a nice ice bath. That will do the trick. 


Since almost all of my brewing has grains, added LME, hops, etc. my standard operating procedure now is an ice bath to get the temp of the wort to 70 -75. Then I add it to the LBK and top off with room temp water. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jasbo said:

Thanks. I pitched it at right around 75. I plan to keep monitoring the temperatures and keeping it on a slow downward pace toward the mid-60s.

 

Jim

 

I wouldn't worry too much.  Like MrWhy said, the yeast need time to re-hydrate and get active after they're pitched.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, July 08, 2017 at 6:00 PM, jasbo said:

I'll fill in details later if anyone cares, but for now ... I have a batch of Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale in the LBK, but have not yet pitched because the wort is almost 80 degrees. I'm trying to cool it in my trusty Coleman, but it's slow going. How low do I need to get the wort temp before I can pitch Safale US-05? I see the Fermentis web site says 53.6-77 for the overall range, but I can't find a pitch temp.

 

I'm currently thinking I should try for 75 before pitching, but I don't want to wait forever. Any thoughts?

 

Jim

If you're below 95 degrees you're fine. The yeast needs to rehydrate and awaken from its hibernation. By the time its ready to do its thing you will have had time to cool things off further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've pitched yeast "too cold" and "too warm" as long as the wort temperature is within the proper range in a few hours your "golden". A standard packet of US-05 has enough yeast that even if half die, there are enough cells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes pitch hot around 75f and worry about cooling the wort to proper pitching temps after ive pitched.  I doubt highly that in the  hours it takes a bottle of ice to lower the temp to 65 or so that the yeast will pee out tons of esters.  if that were the case then rehydrating in water 96f temp would create tons of esters. it doesn't.

 

when I first started I was very impatient and lacked a wort chiller.  I hated that it took so long to cool the wort.. pitching a little hot is not that big of a deal as long as you get the temps dropping to where you need them . keeping it fermenting at a high temp would create the ester problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a 2 gallon LBK there is at least a gallon of cold water in the LBK before the wort goes in and then another 1/2-3/4 gallon of cold water on top  of that, then it's stirred well. Wouldn't that pretty much chill it? I have never taken the wort temp ( and apparently I should be), when I pitch the yeast all I know it the LBK is below body temp.  That might explain some things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the water temp.  Refrigerated water?  Absolutely.  Will end up around 60.  Tap water?  Depends on where you live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 76shovel said:

In a 2 gallon LBK there is at least a gallon of cold water in the LBK before the wort goes in and then another 1/2-3/4 gallon of cold water on top  of that, then it's stirred well. Wouldn't that pretty much chill it? I have never taken the wort temp ( and apparently I should be), when I pitch the yeast all I know it the LBK is below body temp.  That might explain some things.

 

The amount of fermentable sugars in the wort influences the temperature, too.  When I do a recipe that calls for one small can of HME and one LME, for example, when I'm ready to pitch the yeast the temperature is right around 66-70*.  When I do one that calls for a couple of small cans of HME plus some LME, or larger cans of HME plus LME, my temperature is usually between 70-75*.  This is using a gallon of refrigerated water, adding the wort, then topping off with refrigerated water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 76shovel said:

In a 2 gallon LBK there is at least a gallon of cold water in the LBK before the wort goes in and then another 1/2-3/4 gallon of cold water on top  of that, then it's stirred well. Wouldn't that pretty much chill it? I have never taken the wort temp ( and apparently I should be), when I pitch the yeast all I know it the LBK is below body temp.  That might explain some things.

If you go back to the fifth post on this thread, I try to explain what happened. In a standard Mr. Beer batch, you're probably going to come in around 65 if you've started with a gallon of refrigerated water at the bottom of the LBK. In this case, there was a lot more hot liquid than usual added to the 1 gallon of cold water. Hence the total mix was hotter than usual.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Depends on the water temp.  Refrigerated water?  Absolutely.  Will end up around 60.  Tap water?  Depends on where you live.

 

   I was always told ground water in the sticks is 52F.  Tonight I ran my cold tap until I knew the plumbing, bladder tank, and pump were purged, digital thermometer says 59F. Next batch I'll actually check the wort temp before pitching.  Today wasn't wasted, I'm learning something new.

 

 I started 2 LBKs  in the last 3 days, the room is 65-66F the LBKs are currently 71.3F and 73.2F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...