Mr.Beer Community
EwanRGR

Early Hard Bottle?

Bottled the batch on Tuesday afternoon, and checked on them a little bit ago to make sure everything was holding seal, etc. Everything seems fine except for one bottle that is already pretty hard (740ml plastic bottle from the kit). Do I "burp" it, put it in the fridge, or...?

if you are certain you did not put too much sugar in? since it is plastic I would just put it in a closed cooler in case it blew.   I started carbing all my batches now in a closed coleman cooler. ive had a couple plastic bottle bombs that cleaning up the mess took hours. 

remember yeast are living things. some btls will firm up at different rates depending on how much yeast made it to bottle.. how healthy.. how hungry they are... many factors.

are you certain you let it finish fermenting before bottling? how long did it ferment?

Had let ferment in the LBK for the full 3 weeks. All of my bottles were 740ml plastic, and I used two of the "drops" in each. Other bottles seem to be firmer, but not hard. I am going to assume my best bet at this point is to sacrifice a little conditioning for making sure I don't get a gusher and put the one bottle in the frig for 3 days. That should at least slow things down.

I have a gut feeling that your beer may turn out a little over-carbonated either way.  If you put the "Mr. Beer recommended" 2 carbonation drops in, there is a pretty good possibility that it will.  In the beginning I was using their recommended amount & everything came out pretty bubbly.  Someone advised me to cut it back by 1/4 and that made a world of difference.  This may not be the case with yours though or maybe that's the way you like it.  Either way...  YOU MADE BEER.  ????

• Like 1