Mr.Beer Community
EwanRGR

Plastic Bottle Reuse?

Per the title, is it ok to clean and reuse the 740ml PET or the O2 Control Plastic Bottles? I am concerned that after I've let them get hard with carbonation they might be weaker the next time around. I'd rather replace bottles than constantly be cleaning up wasted beer. If they can be reused, any thoughts on how many times? I presume dishwasher is a no-no, just dish soap and then the normal rinse-free cleanser before use? Lastly, I assume even if I reuse the bottles I should get new caps each time?

• Like 1

Great question! The caps wear out, the bottles typically don't unless you overcarbonate a lot and they start bulging at the bottom. I'd say I get 6-10 uses out of the plastic caps.

Two things things to keep in mind are that plastic:

-Scratches easily, and scratches can harbor critters that will infect your beer. Only clean with soft cloth type material

-Absorbs odors easily. They might smell kind of beer-ish, even when clean. Strong flavors like root beer concentrate leave a smell. The dishwasher is indeed a no-no, but unscented dish soap is fine.

• Like 6

You should be able to reuse them for a quite a long time. I think cleaning in lukewarm or cool water is much better than overheating them.  Bottle brushes can scratch the plastic too.

I just add 1 drop unscented color free dish soap then fill em maybe 1/2 way, shake well then rinse a couple times. I try to store them top down in an old Mr Beer box. Sanitize before use. My hearing has fallen victim to too many bad practices but my sniffer is still on target. I never smell anything left behind in my older plastics bottles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

You should be able to reuse them for a quite a long time. I think cleaning in lukewarm or cool water is much better than overheating them.  Bottle brushes can scratch the plastic too.

I just add 1 drop unscented color free dish soap then fill em maybe 1/2 way, shake well then rinse a couple times. I try to store them top down in an old Mr Beer box. Sanitize before use. My hearing has fallen victim to too many bad practices but my sniffer is still on target. I never smell anything left behind in my older plastics bottles.

That's exactly what I do.  And I clean them right after I pour the beer so that the residue doesn't have time to dry.

• Like 2

TBH I don't even use soap (enter Rick Beer stage left).  I just put some warm water in them, cap them, shake vigorously, dump, and repeat until there is no trub or beer odor in them.  So far so good.  3 years and no infections.  ????

BTW I do this with the LBK's (all 6 of them) and all buckets as well (8 of them).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

TBH I don't even use soap (enter Rick Beer stage left).  I just put some warm water in them, cap them, shake vigorously, dump, and repeat until there is no trub or beer odor in them.  So far so good.  3 years and no infections.  ????

BTW I do this with the LBK's (all 6 of them) and all buckets as well (8 of them).  

Anthony also doesn't use soap or shampoo when he showers.  Here is a picture of him (see below).

Don't listen to him, it's BAD PRACTICE.

adtrack-dial-shrek.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Anthony also doesn't use soap or shampoo when he showers.  Here is a picture of him (see below).

Don't listen to him, it's BAD PRACTICE.

adtrack-dial-shrek.jpg

Richard, were peaking in on me when I was showering again??   

IMG_0378.JPG

• Like 1

Not surprised you are familiar with the form as you've been the recipient of it signed by a judge, right?

On 7/23/2017 at 7:15 AM, 76shovel said:

I follow this same routine mostly and have been using the same bottles for 2+ years - no issues.

Kevin

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Not surprised you are familiar with the form as you've been the recipient of it signed by a judge, right?

Love ya, Rick!