Mr.Beer Community
EwanRGR

Angry Bovine with non MrBeer LME?

Getting ready to make my Angry Bovine Milk Stout this week, and got around to opening the box from Mr. Beer. Imagine my surprise to find that while the recipe calls for two LME packs and a muslin sack - and the picture in the store SHOWS the two LME packs and the muslin sack - the box contains none of those items. Pulling my order back up, it indeed shows that once added to the cart, if I had gone back and checked the ingredients I would have seen those weren't in there. Not happy about this, but figure that it once again proves you should measure twice and cut (order) once.

In any event I could now order the LME softpacks, but to be sure I get them this week would cost as much or more as the packs themselves ($8 for the two packs plus $10+ for 3 day shipping). Amazon (since I am a prime member) sells a can of Dark LME for about $13 and free two-day shipping. My only concern is that the can is 3.3 lbs which I suspect is a bit much for a 2 gallon recipe? Should I add just half a can and try to save the rest for a future need or...?

Have you contacted MRB customer service?  It sounds like some error on the site and they're fantastic at helping customers.  @MRB Tim might be able to help.

Well, I'm not sure where I would say the problem is. I would think having the recipe and the picture show those items if they weren't really included would suggest adding a disclaimer somewhere. But for the current need, I am more looking to things I can do myself to address the issue. Some further reading suggests that while the taste may be different (not necessarily bad), that one can should be about right. Will try to remember to post back here one way or the other.

• Like 1

You should wait and contact Mr. Beer on Monday, as Shrike noted, and they will fulfill the order properly.   All ingredients in that recipe are supplied by Mr. Beer.

I added it to my cart, and here is what it added:

1 x Muslin Sack 
1 x Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast 
1 x St. Patrick's Irish Stout 
1 x No-Rinse Cleanser 
1 x BrewMax LME SoftPack - Robust 
1 x BrewMax LME SoftPack - Smooth 
1 x Lactose Milk Sugar 
1 x Cacao Nibs

51 minutes ago, EwanRGR said:

Well, I'm not sure where I would say the problem is. I would think having the recipe and the picture show those items if they weren't really included would suggest adding a disclaimer somewhere. But for the current need, I am more looking to things I can do myself to address the issue. Some further reading suggests that while the taste may be different (not necessarily bad), that one can should be about right. Will try to remember to post back here one way or the other.

As mentioned, contact Mr. Beer customer service. They will get it fixed. When you order a recipe, everything comes with it. Clearly an error. I've ordered the Angry Bovine in the past and all the mentioned ingredients come with it.

Now that being said.......let's just pretend it was your fault and there is nothing they can do. (Not saying it is, just for the sake of a thought experiment.) What are the options...

#1. Just brew it without the LMEs. It will be less abv and a bit sweeter. 

#2. Order a second can of Irish Stout from Amazon (13.99 with free shipping.) You now have a much stronger brew, that will be a little less sweet. (More malt.)

In both instances, less sweet/more sweet is relative to the original recipe. Both would still be really good beers. Just different than the original.

No need for a sack unless for some reason you are removing ingredients before fermentation, and that is rare. With the Mr. Bovine, you leave the nibs in for the duration, so just dropping them when called for is fine (which if I recall is once the water is boiling.) This is true of hops, etc.

Figured that was the case with the Nibs, but glad to hear that confirmed.

Am going to certainly see if MB can do something about the missing items, but am trying to make sure I have other options as well. Besides, starting to "play" with the recipe looks like it's half the fun as you get further along your homebrew journey. 

Thanks again for the kind words and suggestions!

It's not a CAN, it's a WILL.  They will ship the proper ingredients ASAP to you for free.

If it supposed to come with the recipe kit and it's not in the box, contact MrB customer service, they will make it right. Sounds like the shipping department oopsed when pulling the items, i have had this happen and customer service made it right.

32 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

If it supposed to come with the recipe kit and it's not in the box, contact MrB customer service, they will make it right. Sounds like the shipping department oopsed when pulling the items, i have had this happen and customer service made it right.

That's where it gets confusing. I selected "Angry Bovine" from the store, but looking at the order it didn't put all the items into the order. IOW it has the title of Angry Bovine, but then only some of the ingredients. That's why I say it's arguable where the problem is since I imagine Shipping looks at the order, and packs what's on the list. So either I ordered on a day the store was having a hiccup, or...

Again, at this point I am less concerned about Mr Beer (other than to get an answer of what SHOULD have been put on the order), and more about how to actually do my brew this week. Have gone ahead and ordered the can of Dark LME and will be interested to see what the resulting product tastes like with the substitution.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EwanRGR said:

That's where it gets confusing. I selected "Angry Bovine" from the store, but looking at the order it didn't put all the items into the order. IOW it has the title of Angry Bovine, but then only some of the ingredients. That's why I say it's arguable where the problem is since I imagine Shipping looks at the order, and packs what's on the list. So either I ordered on a day the store was having a hiccup, or...

Again, at this point I am less concerned about Mr Beer (other than to get an answer of what SHOULD have been put on the order), and more about how to actually do my brew this week. Have gone ahead and ordered the can of Dark LME and will be interested to see what the resulting product tastes like with the substitution.

If the website hickuped, they will make it right. If shipping hickuped, they will make it right. MrB has the best customer service. I ordered a kit from Amazon and it was missing items, MrB made it right.

• Like 1

@EwanRGR please either DM me here or email us at customerservice@mrbeer.com. Most of our orders go off without a hitch, but we are only human, and there is the occasional error. We're happy to make it right as soon as possible whenever that happens, so please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any issues, big or small.

• Like 2

Mr Beer customer service NEVER fails.

• Like 1

And the LME packs are on their way. Thanks again for the suggestions. I now have to buy the rest of the kit (again) so I can compare the straight way with the alternate way and see which is "best" :-)

• Like 2