Mr.Beer Community
Creeps McLane

Build me a recipe

53 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Current status, enjoying saison #2

mashing, 15 minutes from boil. 45 minutes in my 60 minute mash per @Bonsai & Brew. Propane is a lot more touchy than electric. Fyi

1 new carboy cleaned and ready for starsan. 1 carboy currently under CIP forced carboy cleaner.

both why so creepys kegged. 

Redman mudface is the soundtrack. 

Next up mash out 

PS thats yeast you sickos

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

"That's Yeast, you sickos"

um...........yea................

• Like 1

1214 am, 60 minute addition added. Switched to tech n9ne collabos. 1 slice of pizza down. 1 gatorade. Now enjoying a sir kenneth blonde ale. 

IMG_4192.JPG

• Like 3

Kind of a boring brew day. Im brewing 10 gallons partial mash BIAB style, i cleaned 3 fermenters, 1 carboy, 1 keg, and kegged 10 gallons of an IPA. Busy boy but still have a lot of down time. Staring at the forum wondering if anyone else is brewing tonight... ? 

• Like 1

Current status, 121 am, flame out, HMEs added, sitting at 5 gallons. I have 27lbs of ice on standby, no wort chiller method. Wort sitting at 190 so I'm gonna sit here and wait a bit for Mother Nature to lower the first degrees. The worst part of the night is coming, carrying carboys downstairs. Im gonna just sit and enjoy a sir Kenneth for a bit. 

PS whirlfloc and yeast nutrient added at 10

• Like 1

2 am, holy shit does ice work! 17 lbs in, tooped off with filtered water, 10.9 gallons 40 degrees ? that some crazy stuff. OG 1.037 i filled the kettle to 11 to allow .5 gallons for trub. Now to rack into the big mouth bubblers!!!

IMG_4301.PNG

IMG_4302.PNG

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

In bed at 3, up at 8. The things we do for love

Like walking in the rain and the snow, and there's nowhere to go...

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Canadian Blonde 2

You Have TWO CANADIAN BLONDES!!!!!!?????

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

You Have TWO CANADIAN BLONDES!!!!!!?????

And as a bonus for @AnthonyC, they're smoking stogies! :)

2617023.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Now i have to take a break from other peoples recipes and brew up some signature black birch ales for @kedogn's competition 

Black Birch Ale?  Hmmm... :)

On 8/16/2017 at 9:59 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

OK then, a Blonde Lager dry-hopped w/Galena.  I would enjoy that.?

Dry hopped the lager today with 1 oz of galena. Saw the krausen fell, turned the temp up to 62 and tea bagged that sack right in. Going camping for the weekend so ill crash it on sunday or monday

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Hey @Bonsai & Brew am I dry hopping the k-97 Ale version?

You can dry-hop whatever you'd like, but the Blonde Warrior Ale recipe does not call for it, haha.?

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

You can dry-hop whatever you'd like, but the Blonde Warrior Ale recipe does not call for it, haha.?

In other words, "you better make my beer right, dammit!"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

In other words, "you better make my beer right, dammit!"

That, or I trust Creeps to brew a great beer either way!;)

• Like 1

Updated list. No dead lines, however, if you come up with a good recipe, ill brew it. Chances of me sending you beer? Slim. I hate bottling. Thats why i keg after all. But thought some of you might have fun with it.

Beer ingredients 

50 lbs northwest pale ale malt
50 lbs 2 row malt
50 lbs Vienna Malt
11 lbs Caracopper Malt
5 lbs Carafa II
5 lbs Briess Blackprinz Malt
6 lbs crystal 40
6 lbs aromatic malt
2 lbs corn sugar

1 lb Mosaic
1 oz Mosaic lupalin powder
1 lb Cluster
1 lb Willamette
2 oz Loral
2 oz Apollo
2 oz Delta
6 oz Columbus
4 oz Citra
1 oz Waimea
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz HBC 438
4oz Polaris
1 oz French Strisselspalt
1 oz X04190
8 oz Cascade leaf hops

Safale US-04 english style yeast
Safale US-05 cali style yeast
Omega Yeast Bayern lager yeast
Omega Yeast American Farmhouse yeast
Mangrove jack Bavarian wheat ale yeast
Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat Lager yeast
Mexican Lager Yeast

2 oz oak chips
10 grams lime zest

On 8/18/2017 at 10:16 PM, Creeps McLane said:

1214 am, 60 minute addition added. Switched to tech n9ne collabos. 1 slice of pizza down. 1 gatorade. Now enjoying a sir kenneth blonde ale. 

IMG_4192.JPG

Tech N9ne, great choice brother! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Updated list. No dead lines, however, if you come up with a good recipe, ill brew it. Chances of me sending you beer? Slim. I hate bottling. Thats why i keg after all. But thought some of you might have fun with it.

Beer ingredients 

50 lbs 2 row malt
50 lbs Vienna Malt
11 lbs Caracopper Malt
5 lbs Carafa II
6 lbs crystal 40
6 lbs aromatic malt
2 lbs corn sugar

1 lb Mosaic
1 lb Cluster
1 lb Willamette
2 oz Loral
2 oz Apollo
2 oz Delta
6 oz Columbus
4 oz Citra
1 oz Waimea
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz HBC 438
4oz Polaris
1 oz X04190
8 oz Cascade leaf hops

Mexican Lager Yeast

2 oz oak chips
10 grams lime zest

I would love to see what @HoppySmile! would come up with, but I would select a yeast and work backwards -- probably ending up with an Imperial Vienna Lager (or something).

• Like 2

On October 31, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Beer ingredients 

50 lbs 2 row malt
50 lbs Vienna Malt
11 lbs Caracopper Malt
5 lbs Carafa II
6 lbs crystal 40
6 lbs aromatic malt
2 lbs corn sugar

1 lb Mosaic
1 lb Cluster
1 lb Willamette
2 oz Loral
2 oz Apollo
2 oz Delta
6 oz Columbus
4 oz Citra
1 oz Waimea
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria
1 oz HBC 438
4oz Polaris
1 oz X04190
8 oz Cascade leaf hops

Mexican Lager Yeast

2 oz oak chips
10 grams lime zest

I'm trying to find your dark Grisette here, but we'll need a couple lbs. of malted wheat for that.  Or did you already brew that?

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm trying to find your dark Grisette here, but we'll need a couple lbs. of malted wheat for that.  Or did you already brew that?

I would run to the LHBS. I really shoudve ordered some rye and wheat to keep on hand. Love me those huskless grains

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, Creeps McLane said:

I would run to the LHBS. I really shoudve ordered some rye and wheat to keep on hand. Love me those huskless grains

I dare you.

Creepy, Dark Farmhouse Grisette

All grain, 10 gal.

Two-row, 14 lbs.

Malted Wheat, 2 lbs.

Vienna, 0.5 lb

Carafa II, 0.5 lb, +/- color to preference

Loral hops, 1 oz (11.8%), 60 min.

Loral hops, 1 oz, 20 min.

Mandarina Bavaria (9.2%), 10 min.

Strisselspalt, 1 oz. Day 7 dry-hop

Omega American Farmhouse Ale yeast

OG 1.047

IBU 39

SRM 13

Maybe a little flaked rye too as long as you're going to the LHBS anyway.

17924972-creepy-old-house.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I dare you.

Dark Farmhouse Grisette

All grain, 10 gal.

Two-row, 14 lbs.

Malted Wheat, 2 lbs.

Vienna, 0.5 lb

OG 1.047

IBU 39

SRM 13

I love it! I wanna brew it. I was actually just at the LHBS but i didnt get any wheat or rye. I was gonna but then i changed my mind.  I was wondering what i was gonna brew this weekend and then my co worker decided for me yesterday. 

30911D70-3BDC-4D29-BF55-EAB6308902FE.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:22 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I would love to see what @HoppySmile! would come up with, but I would select a yeast and work backwards -- probably ending up with an Imperial Vienna Lager (or something).

well i'm about to try out the Omega yeast packets, and recently got the Gigayeast DIPA packet in for a creative NEIPA experiment!!! Began another saison/brett this next weekend until some a$$hole stole my yeast packet off of my front porch about 30 minutes b4 I got home! but I didn't know it was shipping so soon. I just hope they enjoy the yeast slurry fermenting into their belly!!!! IDIOTS!!!!! LOL!  So I just got back an hour ago from my LGBT, uh I mean my LHBS and decided with the White Labs American Farmhouse Ale blend to use in place of the stolen yeast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2017 at 6:22 PM, HoppySmile! said:

well i'm about to try out the Omega yeast packets, and recently got the Gigayeast DIPA packet in for a creative NEIPA experiment!!! Began another saison/brett this next weekend until some a$$hole stole my yeast packet off of my front porch about 30 minutes b4 I got home! but I didn't know it was shipping so soon. I just hope they enjoy the yeast slurry fermenting into their belly!!!! IDIOTS!!!!! LOL!  So I just got back an hour ago from my LGBT, uh I mean my LHBS and decided with the White Labs American Farmhouse Ale blend to use in place of the stolen yeast. 

Omega yeast is my favorite. However ive never used wyeast or giga. Ive only kinda tried white labs. My brew buddy using wyeast all the time. Two smack packs, no starter. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Bonsai & Brew

please add 12 lbs of breiss white wheat, 12 lbs of rye malt and 12 lbs of munich to the ingredient list

NOW we're talking!  When's your next brew day? 🍻 

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

NOW we're talking!  When's your next brew day? 🍻 

Probably like two weeks from now. Ive been dreaming of a grisette

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Probably like two weeks from now. Ive been dreaming of a grisette

Looking at Dark Farmhouse as it stands, I might actually save the Mandarina Bavaria for the dry-hop and use the Strisselspalt for the late boil addition, i.e. swap-the-hops.  As for the new grain bill, I've been using 4oz. flaked rye in my Petite frere de Saison 2-gal. batches so maybe 1 lb. would work nicely for this Grisette.  Anyway, I don't know if this will turn out to be the beer of your dreams but if it is, hopefully that dream won't be a nightmare!:D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Looking at Dark Farmhouse as it stands, I might actually save the Mandarina Bavaria for the dry-hop and use the Strisselspalt for the late boil addition, i.e. swap-the-hops.  As for the new grain bill, I've been using 4oz. flaked rye in my Petite frere de Saison 2-gal. batches so maybe 1 lb. would work nicely for this Grisette.  Anyway, I don't know if this will turn out to be the beer of your dreams but if it is, hopefully that dream won't be a nightmare!:D

Not sure of the difference between flaked rye and rye grain for usage and taste wise. But rye malt is what i have.

this would just be something new. Thats all im looking for. Branching out a bit

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 1:39 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I dare you.

Creepy, Dark Farmhouse Grisette

All grain, 10 gal.

Two-row, 14 lbs.

Malted Wheat, 2 lbs.

Vienna, 0.5 lb

OG 1.047

IBU 39

SRM 13

So is this the final recipe? I think I’ll brew ten gallons and make one a grisette and one a dark wheat with some hefe yeast. Or am i switching around the hop schedule? 

@Bonsai & Brew What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

So is this the final recipe? I think I’ll brew ten lbs and make one a grisette and one a dark wheat with some hefe yeast. Or am i switching around the hop schedule? 

@Bonsai & Brew What are your thoughts?

Right, along with adding a pound of your malted rye, I think the Mandarina Bavaria would be the better dry-hop.  I really like your method of splitting the batch and getting 2 brews out of 1 mash. 🍻

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Right, along with adding a pound of your malted rye, I think the Mandarina Bavaria would be the better dry-hop.  I really like your method of splitting the batch and getting 2 brews out of 1 mash. 🍻

Thanks man. I think brewing this way makes me really think about the yeast and how i can achieve different beers just changing one ingredient. Plus on this particular occasion, I will have some harvested hefe yeast to use. 

• Like 2

Moved the last two Hop additions around, added rye malt. The yeast is a lie. I only have dry yeasts in my spreadsheet. @Bonsai & Brew Is that what you wanted me to do with the hops?

forgot Vienna, ignore that. I’ve added it on my side

B698198F-0EF5-4869-98BA-1AE2A950E4C7.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Moved the last two Hop additions around, added rye malt. The yeast is a lie. I only have dry yeasts in my spreadsheet. @Bonsai & Brew Is that what you wanted me to do with the hops?

forgot Vienna, ignore that. I’ve added it on my side

B698198F-0EF5-4869-98BA-1AE2A950E4C7.png

How does this program calc. SRM?  Can you input Lovibond?

9 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

How does this program calc. SRM?  Can you input Lovibond?

Yeah, i can change anything i want to. The value to the left of the name is the Lovibond i stole from Beer Smith. Hop alpha was jacked from ych. Ive had to change a few hops before. 

Yeah, i can change anything i want to. The value to the left of the name is the Lovibond i stole from Beer Smith. Hop alpha was jacked from ych. Ive had to change a few hops before. 

Oh, OK.  I'm just curious what half a pound of 430 ºL Carafa 2 will do for the final color.  How dark do you feel this brew should be?

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Oh, OK.  I'm just curious what half a pound of 430 ºL Carafa 2 will do for the final color.  How dark do you feel this brew should be?

I dont even have a value for that one...  ill fix that when i get home

@Bonsai & Brew 1/2 lb brings us to 28 srm, about in the brown ale srm range. 30-40 would be like a stout. 

Color is not a concern. Flavor is. Not sure how carafa II tastes at certain levels. This is a brew with a lot of first for me

@Bonsai & Brew 1/2 lb brings us to 28 srm, about in the brown ale srm range. 30-40 would be like a stout. 

Color is not a concern. Flavor is. Not sure how carafa II tastes at certain levels. This is a brew with a lot of first for me

Yeah, I thought about that as well -- too much Carafa might impart undesired roastiness, but with limited use it might not be noticeable.  We need help from @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim on this one!

16 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Yeah, I thought about that as well -- too much Carafa might impart undesired roastiness, but with limited use it might not be noticeable.  We need help from @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim on this one!

Carafa is a dehusked grain whose main purpose is to add color without a lot of flavor. It is preferable to any of the darker grains if that's what you're looking for. You can even get less flavor by doing an overnight cold steep instead and adding that to your boil. If you can't get Carafa, Blackprinz is basically the same thing, but from a different brand (Briess).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Carafa is a dehusked grain whose main purpose is to add color without a lot of flavor. It is preferable to any of the darker grains if that's what you're looking for. You can even get less flavor by doing an overnight cold steep instead and adding that to your boil. If you can't get Carafa, Blackprinz is basically the same thing, but from a different brand (Briess).

Very informative, thank you sir

• Like 1

I'm building another IPA recipe, will be posting soon, however, I do not know when to add the used leather shoe? During aroma or dry hop????

• Like 1

The three gallon cooler is getting used today. Pretty sure ive only used it once before. But a 10 gallon BIAB batch with 12.5 gallons of strike water and 17 pounds of grains say that it is a must. Prepare for excellence rubbermaid cooler. I need you at your best today

A53F458D-F148-427A-8570-99CFE2E414A1.jpeg

• Like 2

@Bonsai & Brew i guess i have a 2 oz pack of mandrina Bavaria or whatever it is. Shall i use 1 oz of it or dump the whole 2 oz in?

I think 1 oz. would be just right.  Save an oz. for a Mandarina Bavarian Wheat!

• Like 1

On November 24, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Creeps McLane said:

6 pm tomorrow. Its going down @Bonsai & Brew. Im freaking jacked up. My dad will be brewing with me also. Thats a first. Wish us luck

So how does it taste @ kegging?  Am I fired?

48 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

So how does it taste @ kegging?  Am I fired?

To be honest, I don’t taste anything at kegging anymore. Not sure why, I guess I just want max volume in the keg. If I have a little left in the fermenter then I’ll pour a glass.  But anyway, it smelled great. I’m really not planning on tapping this for quite awhile. If a keezer spot opens up and I have nothing else then I’ll throw it in but I really want this beer to age with that Brett in there. Shooting for maybe one keg in February and maybe one for summer or possibly next winter?

• Like 1

@Big Sarge let’s be about it. No time like the present. No limits to the recipe. Tell me what you want to brew and we can do it.  This is what I have on hand.

50 lbs pilsner

40 lbs golden promise

15 lbs munich

6 lbs rye malt

4 lbs black prinz malt

5 lbs aromatic makt

7 lbs whit wheat malt

5 lbs carapils copper

7 lbs vienna

5 lbs crystal 40

Ample hops: 

Mosaic

cluster

willamette

cascade

3 oz southern cross

3 oz Michigan copper

nothing is off the table. I’ll order anything. You name it, I’ll brew it. Or we’ll brew it. Or I’ll send it to you. You choose.  We can go back and forth, style, or grain bill, or hops, ABV, ibu. You start

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Big Sarge let’s be about it. No time like the present. No limits to the recipe. Tell me what you want to brew and we can do it.  This is what I have on hand.

50 lbs pilsner

40 lbs golden promise

15 lbs munich

6 lbs rye malt

4 lbs black prinz malt

5 lbs aromatic makt

7 lbs whit wheat malt

5 lbs carapils copper

7 lbs vienna

5 lbs crystal 40

Ample hops: 

Mosaic

cluster

willamette

cascade

3 oz southern cross

3 oz Michigan copper

nothing is off the table. I’ll order anything. You name it, I’ll brew it. Or we’ll brew it. Or I’ll send it to you. You choose.  We can go back and forth, style, or grain bill, or hops, ABV, ibu. You start

Shoot, I'm just seeing this. It was a long day at work. I'm gonna get after it though. I say we go with a big farmhouse ale. You've got a helluva lot to work with. I'm all in though. I'm going to take a general stab without a brew calculator though; working on drinking a few after a long day is the current priority. Let me know what you think:

golden promise all the way

a touch of Munich 

aromatic for good measure

nice and light SRM 

I like Willamette highlighting with southern cross on rhythm

mild IBUs but not too much to take away from the funk...it's gotta be funky. 

We need more cowbell. And by cowbell, I mean Brett. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

Shoot, I'm just seeing this. It was a long day at work. I'm gonna get after it though. I say we go with a big farmhouse ale. You've got a helluva lot to work with. I'm all in though. I'm going to take a general stab without a brew calculator though; working on drinking a few after a long day is the current priority. Let me know what you think:

golden promise all the way

a touch of Munich 

aromatic for good measure

nice and light SRM 

I like Willamette highlighting with southern cross on rhythm

mild IBUs but not too much to take away from the funk...it's gotta be funky. 

We need more cowbell. And by cowbell, I mean Brett. 

Kinda tart cherry funky in your face brett flavor or that woodsy funky background brett flavor

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Kinda tart cherry funky in your face brett flavor or that woodsy funky background brett flavor

I'm thinking an old horseblanket hanging on the wall in the background 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 10:17 PM, Creeps McLane said:

50 lbs pilsner

7 lbs whit wheat malt

7 lbs vienna

Ample hops: 

Mosaic

cascade

I like the idea of using New World hops with a Saison malt base and yeast, so, ya know, you could/should do that. I did something very similar with Ekuanot pellet/CryoHops and I overbittered a bit (only my 2nd AG batch) but otherwise I was quite happy with it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

I like the idea of using New World hops with a Saison malt base and yeast, so, ya know, you could/should do that. I did something very similar with Ekuanot pellet/CryoHops and I overbittered a bit (only my 2nd AG batch) but otherwise I was quite happy with it. 

That southern cross flavor profile sounded perfect for a farmhouse brett beer. Ive never used it before. Ive never used ekuanot either

21 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ive never used it before. Ive never used ekuanot either

I've never used Southern Cross, either, but I'd say Ekuanot is mostly peppery. I had a separate Brett Saison that's been in secondary for a while now, I used Tettnang for that and it seemed to work well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Big Sarge water profile to match what google says DuPont water profile is. This beer will take a long time before drinking

You, sir, are an artist. That looks damn good. It bears a damn fine name, too. I swear I'm going to make a tshirt with that on it!

We just graduated the the kids from basic training this afternoon, with the next cycle starting in a mere 10 days. In the interim, I have lots of catching up in all things beer. 

• Like 5

On November 7, 2017 at 5:22 PM, HoppySmile! said:

We miss you man!🍻

• Like 1

I'm making a pale ale to use up some extraneous hops. I want to bitter with one and split into two for dry hopping. Here's what's available:

Azacca: B/A 14% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: B/A 12% Floral, fruity

2 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

I'm making a pale ale to use up some extraneous hops. I want to bitter with one and split into two for dry hopping. Here's what's available:

Azacca: B/A 14% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: B/A 12% Floral, fruity

Azacca: co-humulome- 38-45% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: co-humulone- 22-24% B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: co-humulone- 28-30% A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: co-humulone-40-42% B/A 12% Floral, fruity

columbus for refrence: 28-35%

so long story short with 0 experiences in any of these hops. Id go with:

waimea for bittering since its only a pale and not an ipa. Then split azacca in one and the last two blended in the other. I love a low bitterness, juicy pale ale. Let them dry hops shine
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Azacca: co-humulome- 38-45% Citrus, pineapple, pine

Waimea: co-humulone- 22-24% B/A 16% Citrus, pine
Wakatu: co-humulone- 28-30% A/B 6.5% Floral, citrus
Calypso: co-humulone-40-42% B/A 12% Floral, fruity

columbus for refrence: 28-35%

so long story short with 0 experiences in any of these hops. Id go with:

waimea for bittering since its only a pale and not an ipa. Then split azacca in one and the last two blended in the other. I love a low bitterness, juicy pale ale. Let them dry hops shine

I like it. A lot. I think they're definitely logical pairings throughout. 

Question: Why the insistence on pointing out the co-humulone levels? I've obviously heard of it before, but I'm too lazy/busy to look it up. 

Thanks again @Creeps McLane

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

I like it. A lot. I think they're definitely logical pairings throughout. 

Question: Why the insistence on pointing out the co-humulone levels? I've obviously heard of it before, but I'm too lazy/busy to look it up. 

Thanks again @Creeps McLane

Alpha acids are one way of looking at a hops bittering power but the true indicator is the co-humulone. 

Alpha acids are one way of looking at a hops bittering power but the true indicator is the co-humulone. 

Roger dodger.