Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
hibby

Stupid mistake - dump it or let it ride?

Hi folks,

New here and new to the hobby. I've done two batches so far that came with the LBK kit, and just mixed up a third batch that was a little different, the Brew De Ale Ze Bub, IPA comes with hops pellets and an LME pack that my original 2 kits didn't have. Long story short...I just did everything, yeast is on the mixture in the keg fermenting, but just realized that although I did get the hops pellets in the bag and added to the wort mixture, I completely forgot the LME pack. Actually my kids were screwing around and had taken the packet out of the box, but my stupid brain was reading the instructions too fast and should have caught it anyways.

My question is...is it a waste of time to let it ferment, bottle, carbonate, and see what happens, just dump it now an reorder the kit? Or, do you think it will still turn out OK?

Thanks!

Hibby

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hibby said:

Hi folks,

New here and new to the hobby. I've done two batches so far that came with the LBK kit, and just mixed up a third batch that was a little different, the Brew De Ale Ze Bub, IPA comes with hops pellets and an LME pack that my original 2 kits didn't have. Long story short...I just did everything, yeast is on the mixture in the keg fermenting, but just realized that although I did get the hops pellets in the bag and added to the wort mixture, I completely forgot the LME pack. Actually my kids were screwing around and had taken the packet out of the box, but my stupid brain was reading the instructions too fast and should have caught it anyways.

My question is...is it a waste of time to let it ferment, bottle, carbonate, and see what happens, just dump it now an reorder the kit? Or, do you think it will still turn out OK?

Thanks!

Hibby

Youre fine, itll still be a solid brew just not the exact recipe. That pale lme wouldve just added a bit more abv. 

• Like 2

I'd say let it ride as well, it'll just have less muscle, so to speak. By all means DO NOT DUMP IT OUT! Lol! Save that LME to beef up your next batch.

• Like 3

Hibby!  DO NOT DUMP THAT DELICIOUS BREW!!!   What you have there is one of the finest recipes that Mr. Beer has to offer!  I'm not saying to do this but this is what I'd do--depending on when you made this (say within the last hour or two), I'd add the LME.  That's just me; not saying it's right or wrong.  I'd add it and gently whisk it in.  Chances are the yeast is gonna gobble it up whether it's fully dissolved in the wort or not.  

*Word of advice on that particular recipe.  Let it condition for 4-6mths.  It's a big brew & will benefit from the extra time...  if you can stand it.

Good luck & welcome!  ????

• Like 1

What these guys said.  It'll still be a decent beer.  To dump it would be a waste.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! We will let her finish out and enjoy, I guess I just wasn't sure how important that LME was, which sounds like it is important if you need boldness, but I don't. I'm OK with a toned down IPA for my first try.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hibby said:

Thanks everyone! We will let her finish out and enjoy, I guess I just wasn't sure how important that LME was, which sounds like it is important if you need boldness, but I don't. I'm OK with a toned down IPA for my first try.

I know that the recipe you chose is listed as an IPA, but I was just curious...  What flavor profile are you looking for?  Were you going for the typical hoppy (piney/citrus/floral) flavor, hibby?  This recipe is much more like a Barleywine.  It may be a bit less like one sans the LME.  ??

3 hours ago, hibby said:

LME is additional malt.....

In standard brewing (all grain), you take your grains and "mash" them....soak them in hot water (approx 150-165) for an extended period of time....an hour or more. This mashing is what pulls the sugar/starches/malt out of the grains (along with flavor, color, etc.) You then separate the grains from the water and this mixture is now called wort. This wort is very important!!!!! The yeast are going to eat the sugars in this wort, and in thanks for us feeding them they are going to give us alcohol. It is the greatest evidence we have that the Great Brewer exists and wants us to all work together. Beer is our lesson that cooperation matters. When we feed the hungry, good things happen. The more sugar you have (more grain used) the more ABV, the "thicker/heavier" the beer, the more flavor, etc.

Now this is an involved process that requires at the minimum grains, a way to heat a large batch of water to the appropriate temps, proper sized vessels, etc. It is a lot of work. Even the simplest form, brew in a bag (which I have done) requires a lot more time and work. It's not easy!

So the Great Brewer inspired good people to do this work for us. There are living saints whose job it is to do all the work of getting that malt/sugar out of the grains, and then extracting it from the liquid and giving it to us so we can make beer without having to extract the goodness ourselves.

This comes in two forms, liquid and dry....LME (liquid malt extract) and DME (dry malt extract.)

What you have with Mr. Beer cans is an HME....hopped malt extract. The other important part of the equation that makes modern beer are the hops. In standard brewing, you do a hop boil. 60 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less) putting in hops to get the bitterness (the IPA bite) and flavor/aroma.

Again, a longer process. The Mr. Beer HMEs have done the hopping for you. That is why you can essentially add water and have beer.

The recipes allow you to work with hops and malt to get a different type of beer.

In Mr. Beer recipes, adding LME will add more malt for the yeast to work with. This will raise ABV, add body, and increase the flavor....the beer is "maltier" when you add more malt. By adding hops, depending on how long the boil is, you will add a lot of aroma (which impacts taste) some flavor, and sometimes more IBUs.

You did not ruin this beer by forgetting to add the LME. It will have less ABV than the recipe, and the hops might shine a little more (since there is less malt to balance it out.) But they might not.....most likely it would be a subtle difference that you'd have to have an experienced palate to notice. Meaning if we put two beers side by side, the only difference being one was made with the additional LME, one made without, most people probably wouldn't be able to pick it out. The things you have in your favor are that it is a craft can, not a standard can. Those have more malt than the standard. You can definitely taste a difference between a standard and a standard with an LME added. Also, since it is an IPA, you've got the IBUs kicking in and you did a hop addition. 

Your beer is going to be good.

Now recipes that call for 2....3.....LMEs....definitely a difference if you leave them out......

• Like 2

Wow, that's a lot of info...

The LME packet added some ABV.  You won't notice it's not there.

• Like 4

Mr Why, could you repeat the part where you said that stuff about the thing?

• Like 5