Mr.Beer Community
Neub7

2 gallon kit in a6 gallon pail?

I am intersted in getting another fermenter so that I can have a couple batches brewing at the same time. I know eventually I will Want to start brewing bigger batches than 2 gallons.  If I purchase a 6 gallon pail fermenter now can I do the 2 gallon Mr. beer kits in that pail until I decide to start doing 6 gallons batches? 

It is not recommended to do 2 gallons in a 6 gallon vessel.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the problem is that there is too much air that can spoil the brewing process.  Best things to do with the 6 gallon Mr. Beer fermenter is to either buy 5 gallon kits from other sources, or buy 3 of the same Mr. Beer recipe.

1 hour ago, Neub7 said:

I am intersted in getting another fermenter so that I can have a couple batches brewing at the same time. I know eventually I will Want to start brewing bigger batches than 2 gallons.  If I purchase a 6 gallon pail fermenter now can I do the 2 gallon Mr. beer kits in that pail until I decide to start doing 6 gallons batches? 

Yes, you can ferment a 2 gallon batch in a 6 gallon container, but only for the first 7-10 days. After that, the beer risks oxidation. After 7-10 days fermentation, it is recommended that you rack the beer into two 1 gallon jugs with airlocks. This will cut off the excess headspace and prevent oxidation for the final 1-2 weeks.

The 2 gallon LBK has a small amount of headspace and will be fine during a 2-3 weeks fermentation, but 2 gallons in a 6 gallon bucket will have a LOT of headspace and most of the Co2 may off-gas before the fermentation period is up so it is recommended that you do a secondary in the 2 jugs.

You can, however, do a 4+ gallon batch in a 6 gallon bucket and the beer should be fine.

• Like 3

Okay thanks. I'll just buy another 2 gallon LBK until I'm ready to get into a bigger operation. 

I realize this is an old thread, but I do 2 gallon batches in the 6 gallon Brewmax often [did a Bavarian Pear Wheat recently]. CO2 is heavier than air, so atmospheric air doesn't get into the beer, it is just present above the surface and will take longer to pervade the beer than we typically leave beer in the fermenter. Other factors that effect the volume of CO2 is ABV -- higher percentages increase a larger volume of CO2. Racking your beer into another vessel also increases the risk of oxidation.

You really have to try hard to get the O2 to displace the CO2. As long as you are not moving around your fermenter or removing the cover, you'll be fine.

• Like 1