Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
omracing

Bewitched Amber Ale

I bought a Mr Beer Bewitched Amble Ale home brew kit and we followed all the instructions but the beer is a lot darker than expected, a deep red colour and there is little or no head after the beer is poured. Is this to be expected from this style of beer ?

The darker color happens with extract beers, especially as the extract ages.  The BAA-based recipes I've made so far have varied from amber to light brown.  I'm not a stickler for color, though, and they all taste great so it's not a big deal to me.

Same thing with the head retention.  There are ways to help this, though.  I steep 4oz. of carapils for every brew I make and that helps with both head retention and mouth feel.

It should be noted that head retention is not an indicator of the quality of a beer.  At a brew pub earlier this month I had two wonderful beers that had practically no head at all.

• Like 2

To heck with the color and head retention, how does it taste?

• Like 3

Congrats on a fine choice, omracing. I just drank a couple of Bewitched Amber Ales and watched the season finale of GoT. Both were delicious.

Mine has very little head, a nice reddish color, and an awesome taste.

So, how was your batch? That's what it is all about.

Excellent ... Its not me then. Beer tastes good. I tried a double fermentation and the taste changed, fortunately for the better. I will try the beer again tonight and report back. I did brew a Diablo IPA and a NorthWest Pale Ale today, both completely different colours.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2017 at 6:52 AM, omracing said:

I bought a Mr Beer Bewitched Amble Ale home brew kit and we followed all the instructions but the beer is a lot darker than expected, a deep red colour and there is little or no head after the beer is poured. Is this to be expected from this style of beer ?

Sounds about right.  As others point out, most extracts do not have a lot of head to them.

If you like BAA, I'd recommend trying the Howling Red Ale recipe.

Kevin

4 hours ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

Sounds about right.  As others point out, most extracts do not have a lot of head to them.

If you like BAA, I'd recommend trying the Howling Red Ale recipe.

Kevin

You can always add some malto-dextrin and that will help body and head retention. No impact on flavor, ABV or color and its cheap.

22 hours ago, epete28 said:

To heck with the color and head retention, how does it taste?

I'm with you epete28. If it's tasty without any off flavors drink it! I do like some carbonation though.

On 8/27/2017 at 3:52 AM, omracing said:

Just out of curiosity did  your kit come with the carbonation drops, if so and you bottled in 12oz bottles, how did you cut them for the 3/4 drop recommendation. I should be bottling my Ale on 9/11 and I can't find anything talking about the drops that came with my kit.

Use a pill cutter.  Or, use table sugar, measured into bottle BEFORE putting beer in.

• Like 3