Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Calling all cider brewers

Im picking up a few gallons of fresh apple cider from an orchard in the area. Never brewed a cider before so this is how i plan on it going

gallon 1- straight up, add sugar to get desired abv. Ferment with safcider

gallon 2- same as the first. Then lactose. Measuring gravity before the lactose since it will not add abv. I plan on boiling a small amount of cider with the lactose to dissolve it

gallon three- wild card. Not sure. Straight up with cascade dry hopping? 

• Like 2

Make sure the ciders has been UV light treated and no preservatives have been added..... those preservatives can be detrimental to the yeast..... 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Forced post...  but I'll work with it.  Let me eat and then I'll run some ideas by you.

Last time i did cider, i went with just the fresh cider and the yeast, no sugar added... it turned out great and a respectable ABV. 

Every time that I've made cider I've had to bomb the crap out of it w/lactose to get it how I like it.  I was going for something between a Red's and a not too sweet cider.  I'm sure there are 1,000's of opinions on that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Every time that I've made cider I've had to bomb the crap out of it w/lactose to get it how I like it.  I was going for something between a Red's and a not too sweet cider.  I'm sure there are 1,000's of opinions on that.  

When do you add the lactose?

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

When do you add the lactose?

Always at 5mins left.  I was living in fear of caramelizing the sugar and I didn't want that "burned sugar" taste in there.  

Just now, AnthonyC said:

Always at 5mins left.  I was living in fear of caramelizing the sugar and I didn't want that "burned sugar" taste in there.  

Why, is there a "hop schedule"? 5 min left in what? What im buying is already pasteurized. Do i need to do more? I feel like a newb all over again

Of all of them that I've made I would say my favorites are (in no particular order):

Ginger, Hopped, Spiced, Pumpkin Spiced, & the Graft.  

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

Why, is there a "hop schedule"? 5 min left in what? What im buying is already pasteurized. Do i need to do more? I feel like a newb all over again

Don't forget Creeps that I was using the Mr. Beer Hard Pear Cider recipe initially.  Hop schedule was for the hopped cider only.  When I use orchard cider I still like to boil it b/c I like to add a little LME or DME + I am paranoid over getting infections.  It's a quick boil--15mins tops.  

• Like 1

...ah, just realized that I never mentioned that all of my ciders are carbonated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyC said:

...ah, just realized that I never mentioned that all of my ciders are carbonated.

Ok ok ok. Let me think. Cuz now im feeling inspired

batch 3- boil for 15 minutes, hopped at 15, 10, and 5 ? cuz i can damn it

do you stir everyday or every other or not at all? Whos that older gentlemen i used to watch on YouTube before Don Osborn? He stirred his cider every day or so. 

Creeps, the hardest part about making a cider is finding your desired sweetness.  You can throw just about anything you want in there.  If I wasn't so focused on getting these AG recipes going I'd probably brew 2 or 3 cider recipes.  I wanted to do a Hard Peach Apple with peaches from the orchard and maybe even a graft with wheat LME, flaked wheat, and 2-row, and an Apple Jack w/Bourbon and just a few French Oak Chips.  Just don't see it happening this year.  

5 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ok ok ok. Let me think. Cuz now im feeling inspired

batch 3- boil for 15 minutes, hopped at 15, 10, and 5 ? cuz i can damn it

do you stir everyday or every other or not at all? Whos that older gentlemen i used to watch on YouTube before Don Osborn? He stirred his cider every day or so. 

Ozzy Osborne?  ?   

Once it hits the bucket it stays put.  3 weeks max.  Not even a secondary b/c I feel like cider needs some sediment to give it authenticity.  

Most amount of hops I've added to cider was 1oz of Mosaic @ 5mins.  A little went a long way in cider...  and you know that I over do EVERYTHING!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Ozzy Osborne?  ?   

Once it hits the bucket it stays put.  3 weeks max.  Not even a secondary b/c I feel like cider needs some sediment to give it authenticity.  

Most amount of hops I've added to cider was 1oz of Mosaic @ 5mins.  A little went a long way in cider...  and you know that I over do EVERYTHING!

Im thinking like .33 at each interval. Maybe some amarillo. Maybe cacscade. Maybe citra... who knows

3 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Live my dream, Creeps.  Make the Bourbon recipe!  

? liquor makes me sick. Unless its a sipping stout. Itll take me all night but ill enjoy every sip

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

? liquor makes me sick. Unless its a sipping stout. Itll take me all night but ill enjoy every sip

Even considered non-carb version that could have a dash of spice and served warm...  but I hear ya on the sick thing.

It's a little late to chime in, however, fermenting the cider to a good 8 or 9 abv and then back-sweetening with a little apple juice or apple juice concentrate makes a good sweeter cider. 

How'd this experiment turn out?