Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

Cold Crash Recommendation

For the last two years I've brewed the Punkin Lager recipe and a variation of the Punkin Lager recipe and unfortunately, always had some small chunks in most of the bottles.  Just brewed the Pumpkin Weissbier recipe and decided to cold crash for 48 hours.  Did wonders.  Every single bottle came out clear.  

Kevin

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

It's amazing what cold crashing Does! I cold crash every batch.

Nearly any other brew I make is fine as far as clarity, but the pumpkin recipes with the puree -- that's another story.  Also, if you're going commando with your hops, I'd highly recommend CC as well.

Kevin

• Like 2

I have cold crashed every batch but one since I started doing Mr. Beers in March. The one I didn't is the Whispering Wheat I just bottled a couple days ago. I figured clarity was not an issue for a hefe.

The problem I found was that, while I got just as many bottles, there was a lot more trub/sediment going into the last few bottles than usual. One of the advantages of crashing is that it helps the yeast cake settle and solidify, thus staying out of the bottles.

For me, the ease of cold crashing is one of the benefits of using LBKs.

Jim

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jasbo said:

The problem I found was that, while I got just as many bottles, there was a lot more trub/sediment going into the last few bottles than usual. One of the advantages of crashing is that it helps the yeast cake settle and solidify, thus staying out of the bottles.

I also learned this the hard way. Cold crashing doesn't affect the haziness of wheats as much as you might think (although it does a little bit)

• Like 2

As a follow on to this...I'll admit that I have not cold crashed my first six batches, no room in the fridge to do so. The beer is still good.

I do have the room now and want to try it with the batch currently fermenting but I want to check a couple of things with you fine people.

1) By the recommendations here I've been fermenting for three weeks. If I cold crash do I do three weeks + 3 days cold crashing, or 2 weeks and four days + 3 days cold crashing for a grand total of three weeks.

2) Because of the logistics of my house I ferment in the basement (good temperatures), but bottle on the first floor (enough room and light). I typically carefully carry the LBK upstairs about 3 hours before bottling so that anything I've stirred up can settle. Does this moving about defeat the advantages of the cold crashing?

Thank you!

1) Yes.  :D    If you ferment for 18 days, then you can cold crash at that point.  Or, if you prefer to go the full 21 days, then cold crash for 3 days.  It won't really make any difference 99.9% of the time.  As a new brewer, I'd go the 21 + 3 unless your pipeline is suffering.

2) What mostly messes things up is that 3 hours.  If you're going to cold crash, and you then let it sit on the counter for 3 hours, you might as well not cold crash.  I also ferment in the basement.  I cold crash with my LBK's tilted (see Propping Up Your LBKs, No Trubal), and then carry them upstairs SLOWLY in a Rubbermaid tub (also propped up inside the tub, I have ramps I built but anything works).  Don't carry it upstairs until you are 100% ready to bottle, then proceed to fill bottles.

• Like 2

Thanks Rick.

1) I can go the full 21 days. It's not a matter of supply :D, it's just that I have more time on a Sunday than I do on a Wednesday.

2) Good to know about the immediate bottling, that will actually make things easier. I too carry it, carefully, propped up and bottle that way as well. I hadn't thought about propping during cold crashing, but will add that to my Instructions.

Now I just need to wait a few more days...and that's always the hardest part.

(apologies for hijacking your thread, Kevin!)

Propping up during filling too!

You say you have "supply", but do you have a post-57583-0-41459300-1416930320_thumb.jpg

I am down to 13.4 cases with zero in the queue and haven't brewed since April...  Yikes!

• Like 1

I always prop during filling. But I admit that I usually drip it to get that last little bit. That last bottle I've been marking as the "trub" bottle and pour it very carefully. (I just hate to waste a drop!)

13.4 cases! I need to up my game...but it's football season so I'm just trying to maintain the status quo!

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I am down to 13.4 cases

You seriously have like 320+ bottles (assuming 12oz per) sitting around?!?  Really?  I couldn't even imagine what that would be like.  That's a damn lotta glassware! :) 

On the flip side, between what I have fermenting and what I already have kegged in my cooler, I have 218 gallons right now, which if that was all to be bottled would be like 2325 12oz bottles... think about capping all of those lol #CarpalTunnel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Propping up during filling too!

You say you have "supply", but do you have a post-57583-0-41459300-1416930320_thumb.jpg

I am down to 13.4 cases with zero in the queue and haven't brewed since April...  Yikes!

ATF notified.  ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kedogn said:

You seriously have like 320+ bottles (assuming 12oz per) sitting around?!?  Really?  I couldn't even imagine what that would be like.  That's a damn lotta glassware! :) 

On the flip side, between what I have fermenting and what I already have kegged in my cooler, I have 218 gallons right now, which if that was all to be bottled would be like 2325 12oz bottles... think about capping all of those lol #CarpalTunnel

Most I have had is just under 24 cases.  Right now I'm working through inventory to have fresher inventory.  Also brewed last Spring on a 7 barrel system 4 times, and will be doing it again starting soon.

37 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Most I have had is just under 24 cases.  Right now I'm working through inventory to have fresher inventory.  Also brewed last Spring on a 7 barrel system 4 times, and will be doing it again starting soon.

That certainly helps lol.  I hope to have one of those myself within the next couple years :)  But, dang, still, that's a lot of bottles.

None of the 7 barrel brewing went into my bottles, but we did one bottle session of 50 cases.  Lots of fun (not).

32 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

None of the 7 barrel brewing went into my bottles, but we did one bottle session of 50 cases.  Lots of fun (not).

Yeah, no thank you :)