Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Gelatin and dry hopping

Creeps McLane here. Avid dry hopper, first time gelatin user. Im gonna use gelatin in the fermenter instead of the keg. Am i supposed to accommodate for the gelatin when dry hopping?  For example, if i usually keg at 18 days and dry hop at 14 then should i assume the gelatin will knock out the dry hops? So more like dry hop at 14 gelatin at 18 and keg on 20? You know what i mean?

Ironically, I used gelatin for my first time at 12:30pm this afternoon. My beers had already been in the cooler at 38* for a few days when I tossed mine in. Also, I bag my DH, that alone helps clearify faster anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kedogn said:

Ironically, I used gelatin for my first time at 12:30pm this afternoon. My beers had already been in the cooler at 38* for a few days when I tossed mine in. Also, I bag my DH, that alone helps clearify faster anyway. 

Well, i made a pale ale and forgot to add the whirlfloc. I knew i was forgetting something but I didn't think of it until after. This pale ale has both rye and wheat so its quite murky. Im looking to hit it once with gelatin now and if it needs it, once more in the keg.  

They say your beer need to be cold for the gelatin to work the best. So ill have to stagger my dry hop, cold crash, gelatin schedule. 

• Like 1

Yeah, from everything Ive read about gelatin, the colder the better (within reason). :)  I will only have 24 with it in my Blonde before I have to keg the 25+ gallons and 1 sixtel at 24 hours in my Pale as well. However, with the Pale, the rest can sit a few days longer. I just need a sixtel for my LLC member evert on Saturday. :) 

PS... I'd let it set  few more days with the gelatin if I could, however, I need that conical on Sunday for my Chocolate Porter and I need something on tap Sat for Manfish LLC event Saturday. 

Btw - I kegged my 1st beer with the gelatin in it yesterday... it did not impress me!  Still hazy. I like the look of the beer, so I am ok with that, but I am not sure why it didnt do what it was supposed to do unless I just didnt let it sit long enough for the size of the batch (26 hours for 25 gallons), which is possible.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Btw - I kegged my 1st beer with the gelatin in it yesterday... it did not impress me!  Still hazy. I like the look of the beer, so I am ok with that, but I am not sure why it didnt do what it was supposed to do unless I just didnt let it sit long enough for the size of the batch (26 hours for 25 gallons), which is possible.

I'm gonna take pics of before cold crashing, after cold crashing and then after gelatin. I think that'll be nice to see some side by sides

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

I'm gonna take pics of before cold crashing, after cold crashing and then after gelatin. I think that'll be nice to see some side by sides

For me.  If I use it again... I am going to make sure I have more than 3 days in the cooler before using it and more than 26 hours afterwards before I have to keg.  If that dont do it... I wont waste my time going forward. 

Rushing sucks, but I have an LLC members meeting here today and if I hope to get more $$ from people, I better have them beer, so I didnt let that one sit.  Its a Blonde, so no biggie really.  I'll have a Blonde, a Pale and an IPA on tap for them.  That should be good :)

• Like 1

After comparing the blonde & pale after gelatin use, I have to wonder why it worked awesome on one, but not the other. I thought maybe I had some wheat in the blonde, after rechecking the recipe I see I did not.  From a difference stand point (other than the obvious recipe/style), Blonde had been in the cooler for a full day longer than the pale.. and that's it.  Both had the gelatin addition at the same time, but were kegged within 30 minutes of one another.  If the blonde had came out as clear as the pale, I might have been doing cartwheels across the brewery (maybe its a good thing it didn't lol). Either way, both are quite tasty... especially the pale :)

IMG_1699.thumb.JPG.90f9dad8f8c4f5db3241bb80cf59c777.JPG

Photo evolution of my beer 

Standard primary pics. Nothing added, 65 degrees. 7 days after pitchingIMG_4560.thumb.JPG.5b74b20855bbdd460292b51162e1742f.JPGIMG_4562.thumb.JPG.e57cae719efee38bfffe6f15b801f79b.JPG

three days of cold crashing

IMG_4581.thumb.JPG.4553d041874ad71289db5b8ffc586362.JPGIMG_4583.thumb.JPG.2f2c70679c5e572f0991615aea779221.JPG

now 5 days if cold crashing, 2 days after gelatin 

IMG_4628.thumb.JPG.75d5e1f4aa903ff5f2073f1eb6a6ebaf.JPG

now to bring it back into perspective. Heres the same batch, just the other 5 gallons that has remained untouched 

IMG_4629.thumb.JPG.f5a7889e44688e3dcca1a28c7d91359b.JPGIMG_4630.thumb.JPG.e1d22e13758cba14daf34fd11f6d028a.JPG

this beer has flaked wheat and flaked rye in it. It should be cloudy. It is clear as clear can be. Pics dont do it justice at all. 

• Like 1