Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
gophers6

Pasteurization

Recommended Posts

Just wondering about something? Some craft brews say on the label "Non pasteurized, keep refrigerated. Our beers aren't pasteurized and they sit at room temp for months. Why does boughten need refrigeration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's "boughten"?  Must be a Minnesota word...

 

Some commercial brewers pasteurize their final product after it is in bottles or cans because it kills any bugs and yeast that might remain.  Cuts the risk of bottle bombs, which in a store or a home could be a big problem for a big brewer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

What's "boughten"?  Must be a Minnesota word...

 

Some commercial brewers pasteurize their final product after it is in bottles or cans because it kills any bugs and yeast that might remain.  Cuts the risk of bottle bombs, which in a store or a home could be a big problem for a big brewer.  

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/is-boughten-a-word;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

What's "boughten"?  Must be a Minnesota word...

 

Some commercial brewers pasteurize their final product after it is in bottles or cans because it kills any bugs and yeast that might remain.  Cuts the risk of bottle bombs, which in a store or a home could be a big problem for a big brewer.  

Also I think it guarantees stability of the product from a quality control viewpoint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Also I think it guarantees stability of the product from a quality control viewpoint.

Some interesting info on beers that are and are not.

For instance Sam Adams - in keg is not, but in bottle is - in case you have tasted some difference.

https://hubpages.com/food/Unpasteurized_Beers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RickBeer said:

What's "boughten"?  Must be a Minnesota word...

Hillbilly for "purchased"

 

Check your Redneck dictionary

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly didn't know boughten was an unusual word. People here use it all the time to identify something that's not homemade. 

Now excuse me while I finish skinning a possum for dinner.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, that's in Eastern Kentucky.  They go to the dentist twice a year.  Once for each tooth.

 

And I used to live in Eastern Kentucky, so I familiar with the easterners

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gophers6 said:

Honestly didn't know boughten was an unusual word. People here use it all the time to identify something that's not homemade. 

Now excuse me while I finish skinning a possum for dinner.

Good stuff, Gopher.  What homebrew do you serve with that?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta be something really strong to kill the taste. Although I guess you could always curry it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Good stuff, Gopher.  What homebrew do you serve with that?

 

Actually, I like to guzzle Bud Light with it while I'm watching NASCAR.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...