Mr.Beer Community
Scottyb in Wi

Newbie with a few questions

Hi everyone,

I'm Scott and I'm from the badger state. I brewed Mr.beer before and quit for a few years. I got back into it recently as my first batch is currently bottled and I'm excited to taste it as I did the taste test before bottling and it tasted terrific. My only concern was when I bought my kit and I opened it up and got to brewing I noticed the date on the bottom of classic american light was expired by a year. I was wondering will this affect anything like taste wise? 

I talked to the people at Mr.beer and they told me it shouldn't affect anything. I just wanted everyone's opinion on here.

Thanks

• Like 2

It's my understanding that the HMEs are good quite some time past those dates, but I think the color gets darker over time. As far as taste, I doubt there will be anything that you can detect. If your test tasted fine, I wouldn't sweat it.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Scottyb in Wi said:

Hi everyone,

I'm Scott and I'm from the badger state. I brewed Mr.beer before and quit for a few years. I got back into it recently as my first batch is currently bottled and I'm excited to taste it as I did the taste test before bottling and it tasted terrific. My only concern was when I bought my kit and I opened it up and got to brewing I noticed the date on the bottom of classic american light was expired by a year. I was wondering will this affect anything like taste wise? 

I talked to the people at Mr.beer and they told me it shouldn't affect anything. I just wanted everyone's opinion on here.

Thanks

If they said it's fine, it's fine.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was wondering why people hate mr.beer kits? I stopped by a local brew store and the guy bashed mr.beer I left mad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottyb in Wi said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was wondering why people hate mr.beer kits? I stopped by a local brew store and the guy bashed mr.beer I left mad.

There are many reasons I've seen people list for this. A lot of folks look down on extract brewers in general I think, but I know what you mean about the hate. It's changing now for some people though, now that they know Coopers is involved.

• Like 1

scottyb wrote:  I was wondering why people hate mr.beer kits? I stopped by a local brew store and the guy bashed mr.beer I left mad.

ok point 1.. you were in a place that sells beer.

point 2 .. most of the beer they sell is probably American made , mass produced swill like buttweiser or miller or coors.

point 3..  most ppl that work in beer stores think they are experts at beer. they know everything and are happy to tell you that.

point 4... a good percentage of people who try mr beer kits don't stick with it. they don't follow instructions. or they buy a can of expired beer from someone's garage that is 10 years old, bulging, and has flies on it... and use it to make beer...  then are shocked that when they put garbage ingredients into a beer they get garbage beer. .. then they blame mr beer. same with the people who go all mad scientist on their first kit and end up with crap. they blame mr beer. "ooers! I think i'll dump half a liter of hot sauce, some hersheys chocolate syrup and 2 cans of peaches in my lbk of American cal that ive got sitting in my 92 degree F attic fermenting! it will be so cool!!!!!! good thing I had extra Fleischmans rapid rise yeast coz that guy who sold it to me at a garage sale juked me on the yeast pack! oh wait... it's 5 minutes from the last time I opened it up to look inside the lbk... better give it a stir too. I think i'll use this pencil to stir it. don't want to dirty a spoon."

or you have category 5... the snob who bases their opinion on something they have NEVER even tried.

sure the starter kits for mr beer are very basic. they make simple , drinkable but unremarkable beers. they are simple for a reason.  BUT..  they also sell a wide variety of styles and complexities of beer. a person can augment them with hops and malts, steeping grains... in short, they make beer that I would gladly stack up against any snooty pants beers that guy sells in his store. had I been a beer snob I never would have gotten into brewing. I would have tried going straight to all grain, got bogged down with how much work and science and etc it is... and would have given up on my first batch. my ONLY complaint when I started mister beer was... quote... "OH MY GOD! A GALLON OF WATER WEIGHS 8 POUNDS????? IF I DO a 5 GALLON BATCH OF BEER IT WILL MEAN IT WEIGHS FOURTY PLUS POUNDS!!!!".  that was it... unless you count 'its been 2 hours since I pitched the yeast. WHY ISNT ANYTHING HAPPENING!?!?!? oh noes... I mustve killed the yeast!'.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Scottyb in Wi said:

Because your local brew store does not sell Mr. Beer products and thus you aren't going to buy anything from him.  The best is when you brew something good and take it to them to try and after they like it and ask what went into your recipe, you tell them Mr. Beer.

• Like 6

Many brewing stores don't sell extract kits.  Those that do make a lot more money selling brewing equipment and ingredients than they do selling extract kits.  And, many of them are simply ignorant - the Mr. Beer fermenter is the same as any other fermenter.  The Mr. Beer extract kits, especially the Craft Series and Seasonal kits, are of very high quality.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

Because your local brew store does not sell Mr. Beer products and thus you aren't going to buy anything from him.  The best is when you brew something good and take it to them to try and after they like it and ask what went into your recipe, you tell them Mr. Beer.

Rather than ripping Mr Beer, if they were smart, they would try to sell you some lme/dme and hops that you can add to Mr Beer to make it even better. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, gophers6 said:

Rather than ripping Mr Beer, if they were smart, they would try to sell you some lme/dme and hops that you can add to Mr Beer to make it even better. 

When I lived in Olympia, WA, this is exactly what one LHBS did.  The guy working there (who brewed for Dick's Brewing in Centralia) offered me some advise on how to "make things better".  This was basically the same steps I was reading about here on the forums back then, but it was good to hear it from someone like that.  He helped me learn and grow and well... now look :)  As for the other LHBS in town, yeah, they hated MRB so much that it only took me a couple times going in and being ignored when I would try to learn about new things, that I just stopped going.

Find the right place for you... sadly, most people only have 1 LHBS they can go to and are forced to deal with people like that.   My theory has always been that owners of LHBS should be excited to see people who do MRB walk through the door as that is yet another customer they will be able to groom... even if it takes a while.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Scottyb in Wi said:

I was wondering why people hate mr.beer kits?

If it's a homebrew store, they want you to buy something. If not, they're either being snobs (I only brew with these Himalayan malts, you've probably never heard of them) or don't know anything about our products. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

If it's a homebrew store, they want you to buy something. If not, they're either being snobs (I only brew with these Himalayan malts, you've probably never heard of them) or don't know anything about our products. 

My LHBS is more than happy to sell me as much supplies as I want. They inquire about what I'm making and whatnot. Heck, they even tell me to bring some of the finished product over, which I haven't yet. One day out of each month, they have a big homebrew get together, where people come and bring some beers. Sometimes they even brew an AG batch together, like a brew class sort of.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, epete28 said:

My LHBS is more than happy to sell me as much supplies as I want.

Most of them are great! I just meant that on the rare occasions where one will badmouth us, it's like other posters said- they don't carry our stuff, but they want to make a sale anyway. This is a poor tactic for getting that done, there are much better ways. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gophers6 said:

Sadly, common sense seems to evade some people. LOL. Many of the volunteers at my local HBS, while they don't come straight out and bad mouth Mr. Beer, they do say something like, "We need to get you to the point where you're making real beer." I usually laugh it off, buy my needed supplies, ask a few questions and promise to let them "help" me when I move to whole grain.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kedogn said:

When I lived in Olympia, WA, this is exactly what one LHBS did.  The guy working there (who brewed for Dick's Brewing in Centralia) offered me some advise on how to "make things better".  This was basically the same steps I was reading about here on the forums back then, but it was good to hear it from someone like that.  He helped me learn and grow and well... now look :)  As for the other LHBS in town, yeah, they hated MRB so much that it only took me a couple times going in and being ignored when I would try to learn about new things, that I just stopped going.

Find the right place for you... sadly, most people only have 1 LHBS they can go to and are forced to deal with people like that.   My theory has always been that owners of LHBS should be excited to see people who do MRB walk through the door as that is yet another customer they will be able to groom... even if it takes a while.

I lived in Oly for a decade. The homebrew shop with the guy from Dick's is Rocky Top Homebrew. Great folks. Not sure what the other place is because the only other homebrew store in Olympia used to be Healthcrafts and I managed it (it closed a few years ago). We were never anti-Mr. Beer products. In fact, we sold Coopers HMEs. So the place you're referring to must be new (within the last 3 years). 

• Like 1

the dude at my lhbs was cool when I first started brewing and mentioned mr beer. he understood that a lot of brewers get their start this way. he asked what I was interested in brewing.. offered suggestions.. we talked about beer and I walked out with a bunch of supplies that I needed for brewing anyway. got my hydrometer from him , bunches of yeast packets, etc etc...   over time I moved on to more complex methods of brewing and I have never heard him badmouth mr beer once. he also always tries to make sure you have what you need before you leave. I think I got my first 3 gallon Italian glass carboy from him. my only complaint about his shop when I first started out brewing was that he catered more to wine makers so his stock was a little limited. that has changed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

So the place you're referring to must be new (within the last 3 years). 

Much like Kurt Cobain calling Aberdeen, Seattle.... now that I am North Ender, I call pretty much anything down that way, "Olympia" lol :)  It was a small place in the Lakewood area.  The Beer Essentials ended up overtaking them and they are still around I think.  So many places all over have closed, a few up this way, like Larry's (Tukwila), Mt Si, Homebrew Heaven (Everett) and a couple others I can't think of right now.  From where I live I either have to go into South Seattle or up to Snoqualmie (which is by for the closest at this point since I am off HWY 18 just before Tiger Mountain.  :)

P.S... I haven't lived down there since I moved to Marysville in June of 2011.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

the dude at my lhbs was cool when I first started brewing and mentioned mr beer. he understood that a lot of brewers get their start this way. he asked what I was interested in brewing.. offered suggestions.. we talked about beer and I walked out with a bunch of supplies that I needed for brewing anyway. got my hydrometer from him , bunches of yeast packets, etc etc...   over time I moved on to more complex methods of brewing and I have never heard him badmouth mr beer once. he also always tries to make sure you have what you need before you leave. I think I got my first 3 gallon Italian glass carboy from him. my only complaint about his shop when I first started out brewing was that he catered more to wine makers so his stock was a little limited. that has changed.

THAT is how these LHBS employees/managers/owners should be treating their customers - not ridiculing them or making them feel bad because they started on Mr. Beer (or any other HME kit). Mr. Beer has ALWAYS been the easiest, most affordable and accessible way to learn how to brew. Any one of these LHBS people could do a little research and see that we're the #1 best-selling homebrewing kit in the US, and #1 on Amazon. They should be catering to these customers' needs rather than ridiculing their consumer choices if they want to stay in business. It is a business, after all, not a soap box. Speaking of soap boxes, time to get off of mine. :lol: But I will leave you with this:

When I was at the National Homebrewer's Conference in MN this year, the #1 thing people said to me was "Thank you for getting me started". :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

Much like Kurt Cobain calling Aberdeen, Seattle.... now that I am North Ender, I call pretty much anything down that way, "Olympia" lol :)  It was a small place in the Lakewood area.  The Beer Essentials ended up overtaking them and they are still around I think.  So many places all over have closed, a few up this way, like Larry's (Tukwila), Mt Si, Homebrew Heaven (Everett) and a couple others I can't think of right now.  From where I live I either have to go into South Seattle or up to Snoqualmie (which is by for the closest at this point since I am off HWY 18 just before Tiger Mountain.  :)

P.S... I haven't lived down there since I moved to Marysville in June of 2011.

Ahh, yes. Beer Essentials. Great place. One of the nicer shops I've seen. Almost got a job there several years ago, but I didn't want to move to Lakewood. lol. The shop I worked at was the oldest homebrew shop in WA. It was formerly called "Olympia Homebrew Supply" many years ago, but in the mid 90s, cannabis growing started getting more popular so the owners invested in a bunch of indoor gardening and lighting inventory and they changed the name to "Healthcrafts". So it became a hydroponics/gardening/homebrew shop. It was all inside a little red barn. I really do miss working there sometimes.

EKVCRLGOKZPXF5YOWWWO1AHXDRGYIGNSOSYZ4P45

• Like 1

i owe my start in brewing to mr beer and the good ppl of this forum....  rickbeer.. dogsnharleys... screwybrewer... all the old guard who use to haunt this place. it is super having this forum when you just start out.  I learned as much from here as I have doing personal research and experimentation. . . and... it is always nice to have reassurance when you are first starting out.   that reassurance may have come with humor, eye rolls , 'not THAT question again! you know there is a search feature here you can use but....'...  but never ridicule or negativity. while I am far from an expert it wasn't long before I was taking my turn at 'paying it forward' by trying to help the new batch of brewers too.

the one thing that separates the current forum from the old days? you actually see mr beer employees here answering questions and sharing. I think that in itself is pretty darn cool.

• Like 4