Mr.Beer Community
planewrench

MB hops in recipes

In MB recipes that have hop additions the directions usually state to add hops at flameout. What would be the result of boiling the hops for five minutes or so before flameout and then adding HME?

This is probably oversimplified, but actually boiling the hops imparts flavors, and dry hopping is more about aroma, to my understanding. And beyond that, the longer you boil, the more bitter it will get. 

Check out this link

http://blog.mrbeer.com/hops-101/

Almost at the bottom of the page you will see a boiling schedule on how to get the most out of your hops.  It also depends on the Alpha Acid of the hops, but boiling for 5 minutes would give you a decent aroma with little flavor/bitterness.  If you are going for more flavor, go with a low alpha acid and boil for about 10-20 minutes.

• Like 1

Five minutes will give almost maximum aroma with just a bit of flavor and bitterness:

f1fd18ff5b4c05ae68d33426271a59fd.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. A couple of recipes I really like I would like more "hoppiness" in the final product. This will help a lot. Thanks again.

@planewrench. one more link

http://blog.mrbeer.com/aroma-hops-bittering-hops-dual-purpose-hops/

There are different hops, and Mr. Beer has lots of different bittering/aroma/dual hops.  Look over this page, and combine it with the other page about hop boiling.  You can easily have a hint of aroma, or something close to Zombie Space  Dust, depending which direction you want to go.  And, by the way, different flavor hops give out different flavors.  Think the difference between mandarin orange vs winter green.

MY......me, I'm not a hop person.

P.S.  Thanks to @MRB Renae for the great work on the web pages.

• Like 1

Ho. If you get no bitterness for 15 min approx. Someone needs to fix the brewing calculators.

• Like 1

@Nickfixit, Hops are multi dimensional. Combine the aroma, flavor, bitterness, and AA, and add conditioning time!  Adding the right hop to the right recipe at the right time of boil, and dry hop, this is a combo of art and science.  And people have different taste buds.  I personally hate the bitterness of hops, but my friend Lee loves em.   He could gulp zombie space dust while I can only drink a German Lager.

Personally, and I open this to those who know, I think the brewing calculators of Mr. Beer are good start, but it *does* depend on the AA of the hops.

That said, and I think I'm going overkill on a thread that shouldn't been there.  To the original poster, I think an additional hops to 5 mins to the boil before flameout will add flavor.  Understand Rickbeer's rule about not boiling the HME. 

I say, nothing will happen if you add 5 mins to the hops, except aroma.

M.Y.   Your mileage may vary

Short version (as I'm headed to bed): 

you need to boil hops in some sort of malt (not just water) in order to get them to "stick". Just don't boil them in HME; use steeped grain water or LME, then add the HME at flameout. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

Short version (as I'm headed to bed): 

you need to boil hops in some sort of malt (not just water) in order to get them to "stick". Just don't boil them in HME; use steeped grain water or LME, then add the HME at flameout. 

Still, the Cooper's AU recipes will use hop tea or hop steepings  in just plain water to good effect. ( I tried it).  Maybe it is not the same as boiling but you get good flavor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Still, the Cooper's AU recipes will use hop tea or hop stepping  in just plain water to good effect. ( I tried it).  Maybe it is not the same as boiling but you get good flavor.

@HoppySmile! and tea......doubt that one.

sorry.............had to go there.

adoYiniM.............cut off

• Like 1