Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tuxster

Fermenting bucket instead of using LBK

Several weeks ago, I made the St. Patrick's Irish Stout Deluxe Kit in my LBK. However, after things began fermenting a couple of hours later, the entire contents began to leak and make a REAL mess. It was annoying having to clean everything up and throw everything out.

So, I thought I'd use a regular 5-gallon fermenting bucket with an airlock next time.

And, boy did this help!

The krausen rose to over the 3-gallon mark, but the bucket held everything. No mess!    :)

I then racked the fermented brew off the yeast into my clean and sanitized LBK and used that as my bottling bucket.

It worked great!

So, now I just use my own fermenting bucket and the LBK as my bottling bucket with great success.

Anyone else out there with leaks or messes should give this method a try.   

• Like 1

Thankfully I haven't had this issue, and I've probably made 20 batches or so. I've had then make it into the lid, but never had one come out. That said though, I probably just jinxed myself.

• Like 1

What temperature was the wort when this happened?  I ask because the only time I've had this happen is when I was fermenting too warm.  Once I started fermenting at proper temperatures I never had it happen again, even with recipes like LSBBS, Novacaine, or Burleywine which all have several times the amount of fermentable sugars in them as the plain St. Pat's.

There are several reasons an LBK would leak.

1) It has a rough edge on the seam, which can be filed down.  If you didn't have a leak for a few batches, this isn't the reason.

2) The spigot was not properly tightened, or the washer was not put in the proper place.

3) You had wort come out the cap vents, as designed, due to fermenting too warm as Shrike noted.  You should ferment cooler.  You should put your LBK on a cookie sheet or in a cooler.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tuxster said:

However, after things began fermenting a couple of hours later, the entire contents began to leak and make a REAL mess. It was annoying having to clean everything up and throw everything out.

Sorry to hear that! If this was caused by a manufacturing defect, we'd be happy to send out a replacement. Like @RickBeer pointed out, though, there may have been a few other reasons why that happened that wouldn't necessarily require a replacement. If you like your bucket, that's cool with us! (we use them sometimes ourselves). But, you paid for a working LBK so we'd like to make sure you have one. 

• Like 2

ive slightly over filled my LBK past the recommended mark on the side so I could get a little more out of the volume and had over flowing issues from the vents and as well a very lively active fermentation in process

On 11/10/2017 at 6:26 AM, RickBeer said:

There are several reasons an LBK would leak.

1) It has a rough edge on the seam, which can be filed down.  If you didn't have a leak for a few batches, this isn't the reason.

2) The spigot was not properly tightened, or the washer was not put in the proper place.

3) You had wort come out the cap vents, as designed, due to fermenting too warm as Shrike noted.  You should ferment cooler.  You should put your LBK on a cookie sheet or in a cooler.  

I might be mistaken, but I think that he was describing a blowout. "However, after things began fermenting a couple of hours later..." says to me fermentation started getting vigorous and the kreusen started blowing out. It wouldn't be a couple of hours before he got a spigot leak, that would happen almost immediately. 

I have to believe that the fermentation temp was probably too high.