Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

MUG MidWest meeting

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, scouterbill said:

 

My attendance is 'iffy' at best. We've been crazy busy since the first of the year and my boss is sending me 'hither, thither, and yon' supporting other regions. I've probably logged 30k miles this year (10k/month), so even if I'm not busy that weekend I'll have to do some serious bribing to get SWMBO to bless this endeavor. I'm going to try my 'damnedest'. 

 

No problems, @scouterbill.  I'm sure we'll have other meetings in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@MiniYoda, will you be in the Cinti area for any reason (Reds game, dijing out, sight seeing) over the next 2 weeks?

 

I won't be able to make it to Cincy for a couple of months due to a long list of things going on.  I can probably be there sometime in June or July

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bonsai beer on the way to @MiniYoda tomorrow!

 

Thanks.  If you can, send me a personal message with the tracking number.  As soon as the box comes in I'll put it in my conditioning closet, then Tuesday next week I'll put them in the fridge.  I already have an Igloo cooler ready for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be landing in Chicago at about 5:45pm on Friday. Will be driving a rental car directly to the hotel. I will update this post with my phone number and room number when I'm en-route. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of putting your number on this thread, just PM me and Creeps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

I will be landing in Chicago at about 5:45pm on Friday. Will be driving a rental car directly to the hotel. I will update this post with my phone number and room number when I'm en-route. 

Just you or is rick coming too? I’m gonna revisit the “let’s be friends” thread to review all your favorite styles for when I go buy some indigenous beer. I know @MiniYoda like all double and triple ipas, ill be sure to stock up on those. I have to set aside some time to bottle some stuff up or fill some growlers on Friday morning. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Just you or is rick coming too? I’m gonna revisit the “let’s be friends” thread to review all your favorite styles for when I go buy some indigenous beer. I know @MiniYoda like all double and triple ipas, ill be sure to stock up on those. I have to set aside some time to bottle some stuff up or fill some growlers on Friday morning. 

 

Rick has a wedding to go to so it will just be me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Rick has a wedding to go to so it will just be me.

Good, less people I’ll have to babysit... or maybe now it’s less people to babysit me.

 

(Disclaimer) im thinking about filming certain parts of this weekend. We’ll see how big of a hassle it is for me. I’m new to this but I want to start filming my beer journeys. You’ve been warned, if you make a fool of yourself, I may catch it on video

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Just you or is rick coming too? I’m gonna revisit the “let’s be friends” thread to review all your favorite styles for when I go buy some indigenous beer. I know @MiniYoda like all double and triple ipas, ill be sure to stock up on those. I have to set aside some time to bottle some stuff up or fill some growlers on Friday morning. 

 

Ick.  There will be enough of those at three floyds

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Good, less people I’ll have to babysit... or maybe now it’s less people to babysit me.

 

(Disclaimer) im thinking about filming certain parts of this weekend. We’ll see how big of a hassle it is for me. I’m new to this but I want to start filming my beer journeys. You’ve been warned, if you make a fool of yourself, I may catch it on video

 

I was hoping someone would record this historic event 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Just you or is rick coming too? I’m gonna revisit the “let’s be friends” thread to review all your favorite styles for when I go buy some indigenous beer. I know @MiniYoda like all double and triple ipas, ill be sure to stock up on those. I have to set aside some time to bottle some stuff up or fill some growlers on Friday morning. 

 

Double?  Triple?  For and on the record, Yoda's first beer at 3 Floyds will be

 

https://www.3floyds.com/beer/permanent-funeral/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

 

Double?  Triple?  For and on the record, Yoda's first beer at 3 Floyds will be

 

https://www.3floyds.com/beer/permanent-funeral/

 

The ibu is 100, that’s like as high as they measure... and it’s 10.5%! I’m going with the dust immediately. Then some brew pub exclusives followed by a growler of dust to go. Actually I’m going all flights. Actually... I don’t know, we’ll see

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MiniYoda I would like to film a beer challenge by all of us. For example, you yourself order a flight, but only I know what the beers are. Now I challenge you to pick the style of the beer. It was actually be quite hard there cuz their beers are so hoppy and crazy. Gumball head tasted like a pale to me. A pale malt bill with Saison carb level and an ipa hoppyness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the thousand or so beers I've had in my time, only one I could not finish.  Cave Creek Chili Beer.  I don't do spicy stuff, and that was a spicy beer.

 

That said, I don't like harsh hops, but I'm up for a challenge.  I agree flights, as we should sample their beers and not get trashed on them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@MiniYoda I would like to film a beer challenge by all of us. For example, you yourself order a flight, but only I know what the beers are. Now I challenge you to pick the style of the beer. It was actually be quite hard there cuz their beers are so hoppy and crazy. Gumball head tasted like a pale to me. A pale malt bill with Saison carb level and an ipa hoppyness. 

 

I'm in, as long as this BJCP judge joining us plays as well, and he has to tell the style without knowing un advanced

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I received a package from Mid Continent Testing Labs of South Dakota (Thanks @Bonsai & Brew)  To endure the lab samples are ready for proper use, I will put the box in the fridge now.

 

The lab must have some issue securing boxes for shipping samples.  The box doesn't have the lab's logo.  Instead, they used a box from Green Chef.  The kid at the UPS store asked if it was food stuff.  I said........um...yea, and left it at that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scouterbill said:

Here's a thought for those attending this soirée. This event is happening in Chicago on Saturday. 

 

https://untappd.com/v/goose-island-brewpub/881/event/250203

 

Thanks for the heads up on the event.  It's something I'd like to do, but we'll have to make sure that someone is sober enough to drive the one-hour each way trip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T minus 36 hours, 30 minutes until departure (leaving at 0800hrs Friday morning).

 

Boxes of drinking glasses and non-drinking beers ready to go.  Preparing to clean two igloo coolers and test a laptop.  List of places to stop along the way prepared earlier today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

T minus 36 hours, 30 minutes until departure (leaving at 0800hrs Friday morning).

 

Boxes of drinking glasses and non-drinking beers ready to go.  Preparing to clean two igloo coolers and test a laptop.  List of places to stop along the way prepared earlier today.

How long of a drive for you? 

 

Were ma,in gone stop that I know of. Pipe works brewing in Chicago for lunch and a growler fill. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4.5 hour drive for normal people (I tend to drive slower than "normal"), minus one hour due to time zone change.  I'm stopping in Indianapolis for a little while, then have a couple of other stops planned on the way.  In part to check on the coolers to see if they need ice/remove water, and in part to visit breweries along the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bonsai & Brew has added is home brewery, Stau-Haus, to Untappd.  He has loaded two of his 12 beers that he sent us (hopefully he can add the remaining 10 before tomorrow evening). 

 

I promised him we will give him "honest" reviews on them

 

:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those going to the big shin-dig this weekend:

 

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Munster+IN+46321:4:US 

 

Anyone coming in from the north, this means a long sleeve shirt and a light water-proof jacket

Anyone coming in from the south west, this means a thick sweatshirt and water-proof parka

 

Yoda......I'm a born northerner.  T-shirt and run when it's raining.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

For those going to the big shin-dig this weekend:

 

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Munster+IN+46321:4:US 

 

Anyone coming in from the north, this means a long sleeve shirt and a light water-proof jacket

Anyone coming in from the south west, this means a thick sweatshirt and water-proof parka

 

Yoda......I'm a born northerner.  T-shirt and run when it's raining.

I’m packing a light rain jacket but I will grumpily walking back to the hotel Saturday night. I may have to pick up my to go beers before the rain comes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

@Bonsai & Brew has added is home brewery, Stau-Haus, to Untappd.  He has loaded two of his 12 beers that he sent us (hopefully he can add the remaining 10 before tomorrow evening). 

 

I promised him we will give him "honest" reviews on them

 

:D

Jesus @Bonsai & Brew, that’s a lot of beer! What a great problem

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of me, he went on untappd earlier today.  He is still trying to find the time to add his beers.  He'll add friends soon

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our forecast for the next 6-48 hours includes a blizzard warning with 40-50 mph winds and 8-12 inches of snow.  While normal people stock up on bread, milk and tobacco, I made a quick stop at the LHBS for base malts and yeast.  After crafting a brew, I plan to enter a few more beers on Untappd and add all my new friends. :D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

We’re up to 5! Hurry up with that Berliner Weiss!!!

C3E641A5-37F0-4041-A771-02869945CFFA.png

 

OK -- you guys should be good to go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we wait for Josh to arrive, @Creeps McLane, his friend Jeff and I have sampled the four commercial beers that I brought.  Creeps video recorded it, and we'll have it posted in the near future.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh has arrived and we are all hungry, ao we're going to 3 floyds now for a bite and a beer

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Josh has arrived and we are all hungry, ao we're going to 3 floyds now for a bite and a beer

 

I highly recommend the Scotch Egg!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

Hey Alejandro, you might give us a hint how to find you on Untappd!:D

 

I joined Untappd over 4 years ago under a different nickname: visorbill. I'm also in Untappd as a brewer: 618 Brewing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting at home wishing I was at 3 Floyd's. Was going through some of my older inventory and ran across some of my original Belgian Spiced Ale (brewed in June 2015).  Decided to chill some so that I would have something to toast you guys with. Opened one tonight and all I can say is Wow! It's mellowed wonderfully. The spice came through nicely on the nose. Still wonderfully carbonated. A good malt presence with a warming spice finish. This brew has definitely aged well!!

 

IMG_1837.JPG

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I logged the Belgian Spiced Ale in Untappd and earned a badge on my own brew! Sweet!!!

 

The Dark Side badge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summary of yesterday and plans for today

 

Day one was a lot of fun.  When @MRB Josh R arrived, @Creeps McLane, his friend Jeff and I were ready to go to 3 Floyds for supper.  Josh was ready to eat too, so we waited for him to unload his car and we all went to eat.  We did sample some of their beers, but that's more planned for today.  When we got back to the hotel, the hotel staff allowed us to use the conference room for our tasting of beers we brought.  Small samples of each, but there were a LOT of different beers.  So many that we couldn't finish all that we wanted to sample, and haven't even looked at the main event, @Bonsai & Brew's shipment.

 

Today, once we get up and start moving, we'll go back to 3 Floyds for the tasting and tour, and we'll return here to sample Bonsai's beers.  I'll post the results of those either late tonight or tomorrow morning

 

@C-ya, I will send you a personal message with my phone number.  Call or text when you arrive, and we'll tell you where we are

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MiniYoda "main event" -- L:DL!  Don't feel obligated to drink and/or judge that box of beer.  This was just my way of living vicariously through you Midwest MUGgers.  Drink beer wherever you find yourselves and have a great time!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust me. They will be sampled and judged....by one pro and three amature beer judges

 

And enjoyed by all

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of footage thus far to edit from this trip and what not but the first video of my you tube channel is up. Looking to get a lot better at this. Some day I’ll look back at this video and laugh

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

BBE11597-32E3-4953-95E3-DD1F4A544790.jpeg

 

For the record, if you don't know who is who, I'm the one who is drunk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

 

For the record, if you don't know who is who, I'm the one who is drunk

So you're saying you could be any one of those fine gents????

 

OK  :D

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have a lot of footage thus far to edit from this trip and what not but the first video of my you tube channel is up. Looking to get a lot better at this. Some day I’ll look back at this video and laugh

 

 

 

Awesome!  You were born to sample beers on YouTube, Creeps.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 12, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Wait a minute... @Bonsai & Brew is on untappd and he hasn’t added me as a friend yet? Wtf, man??? 

 

Untappd is telling me that I need to accept your request, but I don't have a notification on my dashboard.  Try deleting your friend request and then I'll try from my side.  I've tried several times to friend you but there seems to be a glitch in the platform.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my way. Should be there in about an hour.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great day today with the MUG Midwest team.  we got a late start, well deserved considering the beers we enjoyed Friday evening.  finally got our act together and made it to 3 floyds.  The tour was very good.  If you make it to this place, definitely do the tour of their facility.  lots of beers sampled, and FINALLY @C-ya joined us.  Due to a personal matter, I left, and freed up my seat for him.  About 6:30pm we gathered in Josh's room for another beer sampling.  C-ya brought an excellent Oktoberfest beer.  We went through all 12 of Bonzai's beers, and our official beer judge said they were mostly excellent.  Two had issues, and I'll PM him directly, but overall great beers

 

Sadly, c-ya, creeps and friend Jeff will be leaving tomorrow.  Josh and I will be in town, but probably do things on our own until late tomorrow when he has to leave.

 

I want to thank *EVERYONE* at Mr. Beer for this event, and letting Josh join us.  Creeps, C-Ya, and Jeff, great meeting you guys, and hope to see you in October

 

Yoda

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

A great day today with the MUG Midwest team.  we got a late start, well deserved considering the beers we enjoyed Friday evening.  finally got our act together and made it to 3 floyds.  The tour was very good.  If you make it to this place, definitely do the tour of their facility.  lots of beers sampled, and FINALLY @C-ya joined us.  Due to a personal matter, I left, and freed up my seat for him.  About 6:30pm we gathered in Josh's room for another beer sampling.  C-ya brought an excellent Oktoberfest beer.  We went through all 12 of Bonzai's beers, and our official beer judge said they were mostly excellent.  Two had issues, and I'll PM him directly, but overall great beers

 

Sadly, c-ya, creeps and friend Jeff will be leaving tomorrow.  Josh and I will be in town, but probably do things on our own until late tomorrow when he has to leave.

 

I want to thank *EVERYONE* at Mr. Beer for this event, and letting Josh join us.  Creeps, C-Ya, and Jeff, great meeting you guys, and hope to see you in October

 

Yoda

 

 

If there's another in October, color me there!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got to border of WI and IL and stopped for the day. Crazy blizzard = one more day of vacation. Thank god we have beer

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scouterbill said:

 

If there's another in October, color me there!!!

 

There are plans for "something" in October.  I can't release details yet, but I will soon.  For now, everyone and all keep the days of October 11-16 free.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM, MiniYoda said:

 

For the record, if you don't know who is who, I'm the one who is drunk

Just for shits and giggles, well, maybe to confirm my first impression of the photo, I briefly copied that photo to FB to test out the facial recognition. Sure enough, FB tagged Yoda as me. LOL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally made it home. Kind of a crazy drive. 

 

This is my yard in the middle of February A753400E-79A2-47ED-A9F9-5F66599CD859.thumb.jpeg.003928610d2fee0e2ff79f777f0f62fa.jpeg

 

this is what i came home toDC6489A6-4400-4778-9E67-7809CFD865A7.thumb.jpeg.d8d9b1f82dbe0cfbb7062d2c9760e9b8.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's insane Creeps. I am supposed to be in Appleton once again tomorrow evening. Should I assume they got hit just as bad?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

That's insane Creeps. I am supposed to be in Appleton once again tomorrow evening. Should I assume they got hit just as bad?

I would think if not they’d at least be close. I didn’t really think anything was too bad until I exited the highway. Then it was like “my god, what happened here?”

 

ps stop at any festival grocery store there. Best beer selection in town

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...