Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
salvagemiberico

Making beer with market ingredients only

You might find this interesting.

http://www.thebrewsite.com/apocalypse-beer-ferment-anything/

There is some sugar in cornflakes but you have to convert the starch into sugar as well  - see above,

You might be able to mash it with some actual brewing grain that has enzymes? 

Baker's yeast will ferment sugar OK but may produce unexpected flavors too.

For balance you need bittering. If no hops, you can us orange peel pith (white) and other bitter herbs. There are books and no doubt Internet pages on making beer with herbs (gruit) here is one....

http://www.homebrewing.com/articles/gruit/

1 hour ago, salvagemiberico said:

Does anyone know a recipe to make beer from cornflakes and bakers yeast?

I can’t find it right now but im sure i read something about making beer from grape nuts cereal on more beers website. Its called grape nuts right? Tons of cereal is whole grain, maybe even a lil wheat and im sure some sugars. Add yeast and you should have a fermented beverage.

you would use the cereal as an adjunct and not as a main grain. i made a grape nuts, apple jacks cream ale.. i do not recommend it. i also used water i boiled cabbage in for the mash.. i dont recommend that either.  it wasnt horrible but it wasnt good either.

you can use cereal with  6 row. bakers yeast is not beer yeast.  if you used bread yeast in beer the result would be excessively fizzy, overly bready tasting with heavy yeast twang, and low alcohol.  the alcohol tolerance on bread yeast is not that high.

I used Cereal (Lucky Charms) as an enhancer, but only as a cold add to the LBK. (in a bag) It was a Mr Beer Collaboration recipe using St Pats Stout. HME