Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Constant Fermentation Temp vs. Cooling

Sometimes I have to travel for work and I want to fit a brew session in when I can. My temperature control system is Cool Brew container. It's basically an insulated soft container that you put bottles of iced water in to keep the temperature down. It works pretty good if you're on top of it. Obviously when I travel I can't change the bottles. So, for example. I plan to brew tomorrow night, but I travel on Saturday and get back on next Wednesday. The temperature will no doubt have risen. Last night when I got back from a trip the latest brew was at 71'. Should I cool it down again or just let the temperature stay the same as much as possible?

Most of your esters are produced during peak fermentation. As long as you maintain your temps during that period youre pretty good. Lots of people raise ales to about 68 to finish fermenting.

id leave the fermenting batch as it is. As for the one you brew tonight... id say thats bad timing unless youre brewing something you want esters in. 

• Like 1

Agree, that's bad timing.  Travel after the first 5 days if you can, if not the first 3 at least.

Thanks guys. I feel okay about the Thunder Bay IPA that I brewed, I had a week of controlling temperatures. I can wait a couple of weeks on the next one. It's a shame, I wanted to brew a stout for St. Paddy's, but there's no way it's ready if I decide to wait. There's always the local pub and Guinness!

• Like 1