Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cato

Witch's flight yeast

Tried searching the forum first before asking about Witch's Flight recipe.

I got my ingredients today and put the hops, LME, and Safale US-05 yeast in the fridge until needed.

I noticed the Safale yeast has 11.6 grams. Wanted to confirm that I should only should need 1/2 the packet for my 2 gal. LBK?

Also will pester with one other question. Some recipes like this one call for filling to 8.5 quart mark on the LBK. Do I add that additional quart ?

19 minutes ago, Cato said:

Tried searching the forum first before asking about Witch's Flight recipe.

I got my ingredients today and put the hops, LME, and Safale US-05 yeast in the fridge until needed.

I noticed the Safale yeast has 11.6 grams. Wanted to confirm that I should only should need 1/2 the packet for my 2 gal. LBK?

Also will pester with one other question. Some recipes like this one call for filling to 8.5 quart mark on the LBK. Do I add that additional quart ?

The full packet can be used for a five-gallon batch so half the packet will work.  I just use the whole thing, though.

For the water, yep, add a gallon of cold water (preferably straight from the fridge) to the LBK, add the wort, then add more cold water until you're at the mark.

Witch's Flight is one of my favorite recipes; enjoy!

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the info and reply Shrike.

My LBK just has the 2 marks one for the one gal. and 2gal. mark and was unsure if there was an older design LBK and recipes that called for 8.5 quarts instead of 2 gal.

Wondering if calling for 8.5 quarts instead of 8 is because my Bewitched can is bigger than say the light beer can that came with the kit.

Well, I peeked at my LBK that currently has Bewitched Amber in it and I had only filled to the 2 gallon mark and that recipe calls for 8.5 quarts. Not sure how this will effect the final outcome, but is what it is now. Newbie mistake!!! Hopefully not too disastrous but time will tell. Learning curves

All Mr. Beer refills, recipes, and cans are designed to brewed with 2.13 gallons of total wort.  Bigger cans are more malt, but no more wort.  Examine your LBK when it is empty, in bright light, to ensure you can see all markings.

So, what happens if you put in 2 gallons total instead of 2.13 gallons?  Your beer will be slightly maltier and slightly hoppier and slightly stronger.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cato said:

Thanks so much for the info and reply Shrike.

My LBK just has the 2 marks one for the one gal. and 2gal. mark and was unsure if there was an older design LBK and recipes that called for 8.5 quarts instead of 2 gal.

Wondering if calling for 8.5 quarts instead of 8 is because my Bewitched can is bigger than say the light beer can that came with the kit.

Well, I peeked at my LBK that currently has Bewitched Amber in it and I had only filled to the 2 gallon mark and that recipe calls for 8.5 quarts. Not sure how this will effect the final outcome, but is what it is now. Newbie mistake!!! Hopefully not too disastrous but time will tell. Learning curves

The older LBKs have marks for 4, 6, and 8.5 quarts on the left side of the back end and 4, 6, and 8.5 liters on the right side.  The newer ones just have two marks, "1" and "2".  If you filled it to the "2" mark you're spot on.

It seems like some of the instructions say "Fill to the 8.5 quart line" and others say "Fill to the #2 line".  Both are pretty much interchangeable.

• Like 1

Thanks Rickbeer. I'll have to take a magic marker and mark that level after I bottle next weekend.

I actually did that with all of mine when I got them, because the forum told me too :)  Remember to make sure you measure the water very carefully.  The more times you fill a smaller measuring container, the more inaccurate  your total will be...  Also remember that a few ounces one way or the other won't make any noticeable difference.  

• Like 3