Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cato

First Oktoberfest- It's drinkable

Tasting my first sample of Oktoberfest at 3weeks. Probably needs a few more weeks, but it's certainly drinkable, so that's something positive. Got wife to try it and she said, " That's not bad at all", hey I can live with that on first sample!

Carbonation seems fine while drinking but didn't produce much head when pouring.

20180223_175021.jpg

• Like 6

Don't use iced mug, just chilled.  Pour 1/2 down side, then rest straight in middle.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Don't used iced mug, just chilled.  Pour 1/2 down side, then rest straight in middle.

Lol, I  knew that was coming Rickbeer! I'm not sure that's a habit I'll ever break away from at least for the first one, but who knows, if I can up my brewing game like you guys then maybe.

Now the pour, I guess I've always poured down the side to avoid the foam mustache. My next one I'll give it a try as you suggest.

20 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

Good To Know In Case I Ever Brew CRAPPY Tasting Beer ;)

No matter how crappy it is, it's always good for boiling some brats in.  :)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Shrike said:

No matter how crappy it is, it's always good for boiling some brats in.  :)

Oh, and by "brats" I don't mean this:
spoiled-brats-kids-in-movies.jpg&f=1

:):)

• Like 5

rick nailed it as usual.  another thing you can do is a steep of carapils (crushed grain) to add body and head retention.  foam is entirely for looks. i'm fine if the head collapses after only a couple minutes.

as for cold impacting taste, that's why i drink room temp beer.  every time i have chilled a beer it tastes muted and slightly acidic for lack of a better word. (largely due to more co2 in solution).  i think the only beer i would ever intentionally chill for me would be a kolsch.  i'm not a fan of that saddle blanket / straw taste that some kolsch yeast produces. (unless its the hops they used in it?) chilling it knocks it back a few notches.    i might chill a 'lawnmower beer' too. 

• Like 2

Hehe, a few weeks ago if somebody told me to pitch my yeast , I'd have thought that meant throwing it in the trash!

Then I opened Pandora's box and found this little keg, cans of malt, bottles, and simple instructions for homebrew.

Curiosity is a killer! Hey, it was an Xmas present, as in free, low cost, no overhead, free beer, why not give it a try?

Now a month later, there's another, carton of PET bottles, case of long necks with bottle capper, beers in covered bins, another LBK mysteriously appeared. Wife opens the fridge and there's a keg in the fridge, LME, yeast packets, and little packets of rabbit turds (hops).

Now I've even got a wand, a little different from Harry Potter's, and my first spell produced "lawnmower beer" and second spell is a Bewitching one! Folks trouble is brewing here! I must be having fun.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cato said:

Hehe, a few weeks ago if somebody told me to pitch my yeast , I'd have thought that meant throwing it in the trash!

Then I opened Pandora's box and found this little keg, cans of malt, bottles, and simple instructions for homebrew.

Curiosity is a killer! Hey, it was an Xmas present, as in free, low cost, no overhead, free beer, why not give it a try?

Now a month later, there's another, carton of PET bottles, case of long necks with bottle capper, beers in covered bins, another LBK mysteriously appeared. Wife opens the fridge and there's a keg in the fridge, LME, yeast packets, and little packets of rabbit turds (hops).

Now I've even got a wand, a little different from Harry Potter's, and my first spell produced "lawnmower beer" and second spell is a Bewitching one! Folks trouble is brewing here! I must be having fun.

Welcome to the obsession.  :)

slippery-slope-640.jpg&f=1

• Like 3

Ya it’s funny. I’m in Lubbock tx today visiting my college student.   The 1st thing I did today was google local breweries and home brew shops in Lubbock. #obsessed

• Like 3