Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Rooster

NorthWest Pale Ale

Is there a recipe for NorthWest Pale Ale that uses something from the kitchen, such as molasses, brown sugar, or honey ?

Thanks

I have to ask, why?  What would you want to get from any of those?  The answer is no, none of the 4 recipes for that refill include any of these.

You'll find recipes that add honey.  Honey raises the ABV and makes the beer drier, but adds ZERO honey flavor.  You do that by steeping honey malt.  

As to molasses or brown sugar, remove the sweetness (as the yeast will), and there isn't a great flavor left.  Some recipes add brown sugar to get a certain effect though.

1 hour ago, Fire Rooster said:

Is there a recipe for NorthWest Pale Ale that uses something from the kitchen, such as molasses, brown sugar, or honey ?

Thanks

The NWPA is pretty good as is. The most I would add is some LME/DME or hops, specifically the latter. I brewed this one yesterday, adding in El Dorado hops for 5 minutes and will dry hop a week before bottling. I discourage any other adjunct. 

• Like 3

RickBeer:

Why you ask ? thought I was missing out on something.  I read

about all this goodness being added , coffee. chocolate, canned fruit, honey

guess I'm not missing anything <_<

Big Sarge:

Good to know, good as is.  Finishing up Diablo IPA, it came out good

2 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

RickBeer:

Why you ask ? thought I was missing out on something.  I read

about all this goodness being added , coffee. chocolate, canned fruit, honey

guess I'm not missing anything <_<

Why do I ask?  Because people add things without knowing what they are trying to accomplish.  Going all mad scientist most often results in crappy beer.

The reason that you don't see chocolate added to an IPA is because it has nothing to do with the style.  Same with molasses or brown sugar.  Honey could be added - but given that an IPA is already dry to enhance hops, there would be no purpose.

You could add LME to improve the ABV, but it's already high for Craft refills.

It's great to add things that enhance brews, and brewing something with and without the addition allows you to compare and learn, and most importantly result in a better brew.  So brew it as is, then try one of the suggest Mr. Beer recipes.

Definitely dry hop 7 days before bottling. The bitterness on this one is just fine as is. Good luck!

• Like 1

I liked the Diablo but I though it needed more aroma. That is my main issue with the Mr Beer HMEs. But that may be difficult to include.

1 oz Cascade dry hopping fixed that. You could smell it 6 feet away - lol. Maybe 0,5 oz is enough until you see how it is.

• Like 2

Talking of which I have some Citra hop flowers (not pellets) in the freezer I just remembered. I have to figure what to put them in.

Nickfixit: As I write, on the last bottle of Diablo it was good.

Bewitched conditioning, Oktoberfest brewing, Northwest on deck followed

by St Patrick Irish Stout.  I think its the variety I'm enjoying, not sure when I'll

redo a brew.

• Like 3

Fire Rooster -

Variety is great. When I do buy beer, I often look for new and different beers. If I'm out at a restaurant or Pub, again I'll look for local craft beers or something different. When it comes to brewing, you're the boss. I'm not a fan of going overboard, "Mad Scientist" crazy mixing things. However, some things might work out well. 

@Fire Rooster back to your original post. I have a NWPA in the fermenter, that has a cup of honey, falconers flight hops, and pitched with Belle Saison yeast. That yeast has been voracious and produced a very active high krausen. Will let you know how it turns out. Bottling it around April 9th, and will be real interested in the FG reading!

11 hours ago, Cato said:

@Fire Rooster back to your original post. I have a NWPA in the fermenter, that has a cup of honey, falconers flight hops, and pitched with Belle Saison yeast. That yeast has been voracious and produced a very active high krausen. Will let you know how it turns out. Bottling it around April 9th, and will be real interested in the FG reading!

Thanks

On 3/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, Nickfixit said:

I liked the Diablo but I though it needed more aroma. That is my main issue with the Mr Beer HMEs. But that may be difficult to include.

1 oz Cascade dry hopping fixed that. You could smell it 6 feet away - lol. Maybe 0,5 oz is enough until you see how it is.

Thanks

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, Fire Rooster said:

Nickfixit: As I write, on the last bottle of Diablo it was good.

Bewitched conditioning, Oktoberfest brewing, Northwest on deck followed

by St Patrick Irish Stout.  I think its the variety I'm enjoying, not sure when I'll

redo a brew.

Agreed. I like the small batch for the variety. Even when I split a 6 gal (e.g. Cooper's) recipe into 3 LBKs I make them all a bit different.

• Like 1

Used NWPA  in the American Resolution Hazy IPA I have in the last week of fermentation right now.  I like just about all IPAs but I looking for a slightly less bitter IPA than I've been making (ThunderBay and API IPA). Hoping the ARH is the answer.

• Like 2