Mr.Beer Community

In the spirit of friendly competition, grab some Churchills Nut Brown Ale refills for $10 and get crafting!  I've always felt a little sorry for this extract because there is only 1 recipe for it.  Maybe we can get some ideas going here and brew something special to keep Calavera Spiced Chile Stout company.  This would be a great time for @AnthonyC to return to the Forum with his "Fat Bottomed Squirrels" Nut Brown Ale recipe, but get crafty, be original, and have fun!      

• Like 5

I thought about it but I already have a queue of dark beer HME (ST Pats Stout, Baltic Porter and Cooper's Dark Ale).

So I went for the lighter BOGO ones which I was out of.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this, but my brew queue is long enough as it is.

• Like 1

I'm thinking something desserty, maybe sweet? Off to Google. 

• Like 2

I'll play along on this since I was planning to try a couple PM's that I've been working on in Qbrew anyway. My LBK's won't open up for a few more weeks. 

Lol, since you are the OP @Bonsai & Brew, how do we go about this? Do we share our recipe before brewing or just have at it and brew it and then reveal?

• Like 1

@Cato -- That's a great question and thanks for joining in!  There are no ground rules but I usually can't help myself from posting recipes that I haven't even brewed yet.  At the same time, you don't want to give away your best ideas to your fellow competitors, so it's up to you.:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

@Cato -- That's a great question and thanks for joining in!  There are no ground rules but I usually can't help myself from posting recipes that I haven't even brewed yet.  At the same time, you don't want to give away your best ideas to your fellow competitors, so it's up to you.:)

Well alrighty then, I love just planning a new brew out and making little tweaks here and there. This'll be fun and I'm sure to learn a lot from you and MRB Tim on critiques of my grain bill.

• Like 2

Boy, I've been back and forth a lot but think I'm starting to close in on what I'm going to brew. Lol, I know I am going to have to drink this once its done and bottled.

Definitely going to be interesting because I've only tasted the hydrometer sample from Calavera Stout. So I'm going a lot by description and have likely created a 

Frankenbrew, working with some new grains and HME. RDWHAB, its all good.

• Like 3

More than likely, I'll brew another version of a cellared barrel-aged Old Ale (with, or w/o Port wine) but could end up with an English Barleywine if I get carried away with my grain bill.  Discipline is not exactly my strong suit when it comes to brewing beer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

More than likely, I'll brew another version of a cellared barrel-aged Old Ale (with, or w/o Port wine) but could end up with an English Barleywine if I get carried away with my grain bill.  Discipline is not exactly my strong suit when it comes to brewing beer.  

Well, I did get carried away with my grain bill and then realized I'd have a better chance at making a decent beer going with a bit less complexity, so going by the KISS thought process, I pared it down.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to stay within items like grains, hops, Lme, etc that MB carried or not, but in doing so helped me solve my items to pare down. Lol, I ordered a spare Churchill's to indulge my whims later on.

So I've sifted through enough recipes and finalized my recipe and should be set on my inventory.

MRB Tim is quiet on his desert search, but mine is locked in and set to go in my queue. 

I've used some elements of a Scotch Ale, (MB archived recipe), and elements of Northern English Brown Ale recipes. Where that falls style wise I'm not too concerned, mainly getting my proportions in balance. Churchill-HME, LME, two-row, Victory, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Heather tips, Fuggles, Nottingham yeast. O.G. if I remember should be about 1.071, F.G. 1.018 range and about 6.8% ABV.

There, I'm done until I can start brewing which at earliest will be mid to late next week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cato said:

Well, I did get carried away with my grain bill and then realized I'd have a better chance at making a decent beer going with a bit less complexity, so going by the KISS thought process, I pared it down.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to stay within items like grains, hops, Lme, etc that MB carried or not, but in doing so helped me solve my items to pare down. Lol, I ordered a spare Churchill's to indulge my whims later on.

So I've sifted through enough recipes and finalized my recipe and should be set on my inventory.

MRB Tim is quiet on his desert search, but mine is locked in and set to go in my queue. 

I've used some elements of a Scotch Ale, (MB archived recipe), and elements of Northern English Brown Ale recipes. Where that falls style wise I'm not too concerned, mainly getting my proportions in balance. Churchill-HME, LME, two-row, Victory, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Heather tips, Fuggles, Nottingham yeast. O.G. if I remember should be about 1.071, F.G. 1.018 range and about 6.8% ABV.

There, I'm done until I can start brewing which at earliest will be mid to late next week.

Nice "Wee Heavy Winston" there Cato!  I think you've taken an early lead in the competition, but you never know what @MRB Tim might be up to... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Nice "Wee Heavy Winston" there Cato!  I think you've taken an early lead in the competition, but you never know what @MRB Tim might be up to... 

LOL, @Bonsai & Brew, I knew I was dusted before even joining in on this fun, but it's making me put my thinking cap on, and I do have to be able to drink this once its done.

However, it'll be fun for me to see where I went wrong and what I might have done right when I show you guys my QBrew recipe, and will welcome any critiques.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cato said:

LOL, @Bonsai & Brew, I knew I was dusted before even joining in on this fun, but it's making me put my thinking cap on, and I do have to be able to drink this once its done.

However, it'll be fun for me to see where I went wrong and what I might have done right when I show you guys my QBrew recipe, and will welcome any critiques.

Looking forward to it!

Monday, Memorial Day, I'll cold crash my Tangerously Hoppy IPA and Tuesday will be brew day for "Wee Heavy Winston" so dubbed by @Bonsai & Brew! My supplies arrived today and I've  got some other names I can give it, but that one stuck like fly paper, so it's named like that in my Excel sheet for now.

I kinda wish they made a 5 gallon brew kettle /mash tun for us little guys but found I've got a 12qt. ALLCLAD pot with a full steamer basket that sits about an inch off the bottom. Yeah, that baskets going to hold some grains next Tuesday and relieve me of trying to use my oversize strainer to drain grain sacks.

Queue is shaping up for an Irish Red using a Muntons Maris Otter can of LME with grain additions, and then a Strong Dark Belgian Ale, using a jar of Briess LME and grains. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I kinda wish they made a 5 gallon brew kettle /mash tun for us little guys but found I've got a 12qt. ALLCLAD pot with a full steamer basket that sits about an inch off the bottom. Yeah, that baskets going to hold some grains next Tuesday and relieve me of trying to use my oversize strainer to drain grain sacks.

Tell me about it!  That is exactly what I've been looking for.  I'll continue my search online but from your description, that 3 gallon kettle would be perfect for 2 gallon mash-in-sack recipes, and the steamer basket would allow for a little sparging as well!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Tell me about it!  That is exactly what I've been looking for.  I'll continue my search online but from your description, that 3 gallon kettle would be perfect for 2 gallon mash-in-sack recipes, and the steamer basket would allow for a little sparging as well!

Yes  I want to try a small batch of mash in sack in that 3 gallon kettle, though I'd need to watch it like a hawk for hot break.

No sooner had I lamented the lack of a 5 gallon kettle, when one popped up on my Google. Made by Anvil. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anvil-Brew-Kettle-5-5-gal/dp/B01HECQZ1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527127096&sr=8-5&keywords=5+gallon+brew+kettle

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cato said:

Yes  I want to try a small batch of mash in sack in that 3 gallon kettle, though I'd need to watch it like a hawk for hot break.

No sooner had I lamented the lack of a 5 gallon kettle, when one popped up on my Google. Made by Anvil. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anvil-Brew-Kettle-5-5-gal/dp/B01HECQZ1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527127096&sr=8-5&keywords=5+gallon+brew+kettle

Great -- now I'm shopping for yet another stock pot to brew mash-in-sack recipes...

https://www.amazon.com/Excelsteel-Quart-Stainless-Muti-Cookware-Encapsulated/dp/B002CGSYB2/ref=pd_cp_79_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002CGSYB2&pd_rd_r=79f2c215-5f43-11e8-8fd5-1bda721a730b&pd_rd_w=JauHx&pd_rd_wg=l45ng&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=80460301815383741&pf_rd_r=KM9241H6B5QRAWEVKH3K&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=KM9241H6B5QRAWEVKH3K

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Ordered a 5.5 gal kettle today from SS Brewtech. It's bigger than the kitchen pots I've been using but I think will give me more flexibility in partial mashes or even BIAB batches to fit in my LBKs. Once I get it setup and brew a few PMs I hope you and @Creeps McLane can give me a few tips or answer some questions on small BIAB batches. 

I liked this size because it'll fit on my gas stove top very comfortably and I got the screw in barb and 3 feet of food grade tubing for draining.

1527336367198997876955.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cato said:

Ordered a 5.5 gal kettle today from SS Brewtech. It's bigger than the kitchen pots I've been using but I think will give me more flexibility in partial mashes or even BIAB batches to fit in my LBKs. Once I get it setup and brew a few PMs I hope you and @Creeps McLane can give me a few tips or answer some questions on small BIAB batches. 

I liked this size because it'll fit on my gas stove top very comfortably and I got the screw in barb and 3 feet of food grade tubing for draining.

1527336367198997876955.jpg

You're gonna brew some amazing beers with that!  I want one!🍻

• Like 1

Chartwell Special Christmas Ale

• Mr. Beer Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.
  • Crisp Finest Maris Otter, 1.25 lb.
  • BrewMax Smooth DME
  • Flaked barley, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 2, 0.18 lb.
  • Crisp Amber malt, 0.18 lb.
  • Chateau Special B, 0.12 lb.
  • Lyle's Black Treacle, 0.25 lb.
  • Bramling Cross, 7.8% AA, 0.5 oz., 30 min.
  • Whitbread Golding Variety, 6.4% AA, 0.37 oz., 10 min.
  • Sun-dried figs in Amaretto, added after primary fermentation
  • Safale S-04

Mash grains for 45 min. @ 152 F.

Sprinkle sparge with hot tap water.

Add DME, heat to hot break, then begin 30 min. boil, hopping as scheduled.

Add black treacle with 10 min. left of boil.

Add HME @ flame-out.

Chill wort.

Transfer to LBK and make to volume.

Ferment with S-04 @ 65 F for the first few days, then allow primary fermentation to finish warmer.

OG. 1.082

SRM 30

ABV 8.4%

IBU TBA (probably close to 40)

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Chartwell Special Christmas Ale

• Crisp Finest Maris Otter, 1.25 lb.
  • BrewMax Smooth DME
  • Flaked barley, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 2, 0.18 lb.
  • Lyle's Black Treacle, 0.25 lb.
  • Bramling Cross, 7.8% AA, 0.5 oz., 30 min.
  • Whitbread Golding Variety, 6.4% AA, 0.37 oz., 10 min.
  • Sun-dried figs in Amaretto, added after primary fermentation
  • Safale S-04

Mash grains for 45 min. @ 152 F.

Sprinkle sparge with hot tap water.

Add black treacle with 10 min. left of boil.

Add HME @ flame-out.

Chill wort.

Ferment with S-04 @ 65 F for the first few days, then allow primary fermentation to finish warmer.

OG. 1.082

SRM 30

ABV 8.4%

IBU TBA (probably close to 40)

image.jpeg

"Wee Heavy Winston" won't be far behind! Your Special Christmas Ale sounds mouthwatering and likely aptly named for brewing now as a high gravity, probably won't be fully bottle conditioned until Xmas!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

"Wee Heavy Winston" won't be far behind! Your Special Christmas Ale sounds mouthwatering and likely aptly named for brewing now as a high gravity, probably won't be fully bottle conditioned until Xmas!

Thanks!  I just ordered 2 more Churchills, so keep crafting!🍻

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 10:58 PM, Cato said:

So, on your Chartwell Churchill's brew, you used some DME. 

I've never used that before and since LME is so easily dissolved, why use DME? I've read where people had it turn into tar like substance, and ended up pouring it all down the drain.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

So, on your Chartwell Churchill's brew, you used some DME. 

I've never used that before and since LME is so easily dissolved, why use DME? I've read where people had it turn into tar like substance, and ended up pouring it all down the drain.

It's what I had on hand, but DME really is quite easy to use.  Just quickly dump it in pre-boil and stir to dissolve while bringing your wort to a boil.  There is no need to freak-out over the inevitable clumps that form, but don't worry about it, they will dissolve quickly enough.

PS  Do not discard unfermented wort.  Ever. 🍻

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

It's what I had on hand, but DME really is quite easy to use.  Just quickly dump it in pre-boil and stir to dissolve while bringing your wort to a boil.  There is no need to freak-out over the inevitable clumps that form, but don't worry about it, they will dissolve quickly enough.

PS  Do not discard unfermented wort.  Ever. 🍻

Ah, so you use it as you are heating to a boil. Guessing you've got to stir constantly until dissolved to avoid scorching. 

Every day is a learning curve for me in brewing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Ah, so you use it as you are heating to a boil. Guessing you've got to stir constantly until dissolved to avoid scorching. 

From my experience, DME can be a pain if you try to do a slow, deliberate addition over a steaming kettle.  This will result in a sticky mess and much frustration.  Add it quickly, stir the floating clumps until dissolved, then keep a watchful eye for the hot break!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Cato said:

What influenced your decision to get the SStech kettle over the Anvil linked here?

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Here's a post I made a while back containing a three-minute video about different methods of combining DME and water.  I've never used DME so can't comment from personal experience.  The blender method looks good, though.

• Like 1

What influenced your decision to get the SStech kettle over the Anvil linked here?

It's nearly a toss up as they are both the same capacity.

However, some of the factors that influenced me are;

3 piece valve on the SS vs 2 piece on the Anvil. ( I watched a vid on taking apart a 3 piece and they break down easily for cleaning)

The Anvil is shorter and squattier at 12" dia and 11 5/8 high, vs the SS 11" dia and 13.4 high. I figured that may work better for me in covering grains on small batch's as well as maybe better flame coverage on my gas stove. Not worried about the stability as I have those heavy duty cast iron continuous grates.

Finally my gut feeling that I'm buying from a firm that makes homebrew equipment, Nano brew equipment, and Professional Systems up to 20bbl. The principals started a brewery that's still in operation before embarking on the equipment side. Check out their web site, I guess that kind of sold me on them too.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ss-brew-kettles

I can add a thermometer later on the SS if I need too, but since I'm going to be doing some BIAB, I didn't want one poking holes in my bag since the kettle will be doing mash tun duty. Not a biggie though since you can put a bulkhead plug.

Either one should work fine though, I've just learned to go with my gut on what feels right for me. Ah, got notice a few minutes ago they created my shipping label and it should take about 5 days to get here from Calif.

I'm excited to have it! LOL, whats happened to me with this brewing thing that I'm getting giddy over a new kettle. Boys and their toys I guess. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cato said:

It's nearly a toss up as they are both the same capacity.

However, some of the factors that influenced me are;

3 piece valve on the SS vs 2 piece on the Anvil. ( I watched a vid on taking apart a 3 piece and they break down easily for cleaning)

The Anvil is shorter and squattier at 12" dia and 11 5/8 high, vs the SS 11" dia and 13.4 high. I figured that may work better for me in covering grains on small batch's as well as maybe better flame coverage on my gas stove. Not worried about the stability as I have those heavy duty cast iron continuous grates.

Finally my gut feeling that I'm buying from a firm that makes homebrew equipment, Nano brew equipment, and Professional Systems up to 20bbl. The principals started a brewery that's still in operation before embarking on the equipment side. Check out their web site, I guess that kind of sold me on them too.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ss-brew-kettles

I can add a thermometer later on the SS if I need too, but since I'm going to be doing some BIAB, I didn't want one poking holes in my bag since the kettle will be doing mash tun duty. Not a biggie though since you can put a bulkhead plug.

Either one should work fine though, I've just learned to go with my gut on what feels right for me. Ah, got notice a few minutes ago they created my shipping label and it should take about 5 days to get here from Calif.

I'm excited to have it! LOL, whats happened to me with this brewing thing that I'm getting giddy over a new kettle. Boys and their toys I guess. ;)

I just got excited over finding an online boil-off rate calculator! L:DL

Thanks for the above comparison -- I'm already thinking about 3-4 gallon mash-in-sack batches and both of these kettles would accomplish that nicely.  If it does come to retiring my 8 and 10 qt. Tfal stock pots, I'm having a 'retirement' party at my house with free beer!  

• Like 1

I just got excited over finding an online boil-off rate calculator! L:DL

Thanks for the above comparison -- I'm already thinking about 3-4 gallon mash-in-sack batches and both of these kettles would accomplish that nicely.  If it does come to retiring my 8 and 10 qt. Tfal stock pots, I'm having a 'retirement' party at my house with free beer!  

Ruh Roh, if you start thinking like that it becomes sooo easy to pull the trigger "Add to cart". I don't want to change my avatar to Eddie Haskell.

But, you're right that's what got me started, thinking that I needed some more viable options to try different things but stay within my fermenters as I don't have space for much more than two LBK's in the mini fridge.

LOL, on Homebrew web site I think it was or one of the BIAB sites I found tables this morning for preboil volumes, calculations for evap during boil, etc. Gonna have to go back and print those out.

• Like 1

For the record, my knowledge of whiskey is quite limited, let alone those produced from rye. :)

Optional Rock & Rye Baltic Porter

• Weyermann Dark Munich, 0.5 lb.
  • BrewMax Smooth DME
  • Mr. Beer Pilsner, 0.25 lb.
  • Flaked rye, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 1, 0.18 lb.
  • Carafa II, 2 oz. by volume
  • Patagonia Chocolate malt, 1 oz. by volume
  • Sovereign, 5.3% AA, 0.56 oz., 30 min.
  • Sovereign, 5.3% AA, 0.19 oz., 10 min.
  • Optional:  Light toast American Oak in Hochstadter's Slow & Low Rock and Rye Whiskey, added after primary fermentation
  • Danstar Nottingham

Cold-steep Carafa + Chocolate malts for a few hours prior to brewing.

Mini-mash remaining grains for 45 min. @ 152 F.

Sprinkle sparge grain bag with hot tap water.

Add cold-steep liquor with 15 min. left of boil.

Add HME @ flame-out.

Chill wort.

Ferment cool with Nottingham @ 58-60 ºF for the first 7-10 days, then allow fermentation to finish closer to ale temps.

OG. 1.068

SRM 32

ABV 7.6%

IBU 34

rocknrye.jpg

• Like 4

You guessed it -- it was that cute little 100 ml can prominently placed near the register checkout that sucked me right in.  How convenient!  I purchased 2 and used one to soak the oak while saving the other for an afterwork taste test.    

• Like 1

@Bonsai & BrewLol, I'm running behind on the Churchill's Challenge. Should get to brew maybe Wednesday or Friday. Bottling an IPA tomorrow.

However, looking forward to the Churchill's. Might be the trial run for the new kettle.

Assembly was easy and no leaks. My temp probe will reach down to 1.5 gal. mark, and just under 3 gal. mark covers the bulkhead where a Thermometer can be mounted. I think it should work pretty well for my size batches.

20180604_175918.jpg

20180604_174705.jpg

• Like 3

My first attempt at the Churchill's challenge did not go without some stress, but in the end I made beer.

1 can Hme- Churchills

1 brewmax LME-robust

4oz. 2 row

4 oz. Crystal 60

4oz. Vienna

.5oz. Roasted Barley

1/2 cup honey last 5 min. of boil

.5 oz. Willamette boiled 15 min.

.5oz. Willamette last 5 min. of boil

1.oz. Heather tips last 5 min of boil

Danstar Nottingham yeast

All grains mashed for 30 min at 160F

Overcooked my first mash because my temp probe wasn't deep enough in the mash water and was reading far less than actual. If it hadn't been for the roasted barley, I might have considered going with it, but there went my only Victory grains. Crap, my bad, but time to shift gears. So I had back up grains for all but the Victory, so subbed Vienna, changed to my digital probe and back to the races.

I've got a new kettle and it did it's part just fine. I really like having a larger size, as hot break is no biggie compared to worrying about boil over. Also, draining the wort  through a hose is super convenient.

So, with this now hybrid batch I was shooting for OG of 1.074, what I got was 1.067. Lol, might not be a Wee Heavy Winston, and not a Northern style English ale, but I'm holding out that it'll be tasty nonetheless.

20180606_153825.jpg

20180606_161023.jpg

20180606_153739.jpg

20180606_172941.jpg

• Like 5

Man, I have a few busy weeks and I'm getting left in the dust here! I was thinking about making some kinda horchata milk stout out of it. Def with cinnamon and lactose sugar. Maybe real rice milk? I haven't had time to give it the thought it deserves but I definitely intend to match the effort I'm seeing here

• Like 3

Well my Nottingham yeast has kicked into high Krausen on my Wee Heavy Winston, and always glad to see that. Who knows maybe it will get great attenuation and be a Wee Heavy instead of a Wee!

However it was really bugging me that I had to deviate from my recipe so I exercised my right as a consumer and ordered more grains including Victory, another Churchill, more Crystal 60, and while I was at it another CAL and American Ale for my Pale Ale with Mosaic that turned out so great for a easy drinking summer brew with a bit of ABV kick to it.

Lol, also added a can of those Raspberries thinking that a raspberry stout may be in the works.

I'm for sure going to have a second entry into the Churchill's challenge, @Bonsai & Brew . I got a few pounds of Golden Promise 2-row and will use part of it for an Irish red ale, but thinking i will use some for a Churchill recipe.

• Like 4

I bottled "Chartwell's" this morning at FG 1.013 and 9.0% ABV.  Now, hands-off till Christmas morning...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I bottled "Chartwell's" this morning at FG 1.013 and 9.0% ABV.  Now, hands-off till Christmas morning...

Nice!! You are a way more patient man than I!

I should be bottling Wee Heavy Winston on the 28th. Lol, depending on gravity it will likely be shortened to Wee Winston.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Nice!! You are a way more patient man than I!

I should be bottling Wee Heavy Winston on the 28th. Lol, depending on gravity it will likely be shortened to Wee Winston.

Little did I know it at the time, but after brewing Lock, Stock & Barrel Stout and then waiting 9 months to a year before enjoying it was definitely worth it.  Chartwell's has a similarly high OG, and with the amaretto/fig addition, it just seems like I should let this Old Ale get 'old' before tapping it.  Good luck with your Wee Heavy!

• Like 2

Cold crashing Wee Heavy Winston. Bottle it on Thursday.

• Like 1

Bottled Wee Heavy Winston- So named  early on by  @Bonsai & Brew , and my entry into his Churchill's Challenge.

Hydrometer sample was tasty, always a good sign.

My cobbled together recipe from checking out Northern English style ales, and Scotch Ales and marrying some bits of each.

1 can Churchill's HME

1 MB Robust LME

4 oz two-row Malt

4 oz. Vienna Malt

4 oz Crystal 60 Malt

.5 oz Roasted Barley

1/2 cup honey

1 oz Heather Tips

1 oz Willamete hops

1 packet of Danstar Nottingham Dry Ale yeast

OG-1.067

FG- 1.014

ABV- 6.9%

Mashed grains for 30 minutes at 160 F and sparged with 1 cup hot water.

Added LME and brought to boil and added .5 oz of Willamete for 15 min. and 1/2 cup of honey with 5 min. left in boil and then flameout.

Added Churchills HME and hopsack with .5 oz of Willamete and 1 oz of heather tips, then mixed with chilled spring water in LBK and pitched yeast at 74F.

Fermented for 18 days at 64F and cold crashed for 3 days.

Yield was 18 12 oz glass bottles and one 740ml PET.

Oh yeah, Got to try out my new bench capper. I like it. Easy to adjust and spring loaded with a positive stop when the cap is completely crimped.

20180628_114908.jpg

• Like 5

Okay, I'll be brewing my entry on my Twitch stream tomorrow, here's a sneak peek at the recipe:

Horchata Brown Ale

1X Churchills HME
1X Golden LME
2 oz Cara wheat malt
2 oz Vienna malt
4 oz lactose sugar
S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

1 week before bottling:

1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vanilla extract

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Okay, I'll be brewing my entry on my Twitch stream tomorrow, here's a sneak peek at the recipe:

Horchata Brown Ale

1X Churchills HME
1X Golden LME
4 oz Cara wheat malt
2 oz Vienna malt
4 oz lactose sugar
S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

1 week before bottling:

1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vanilla extract

Cool, I'll try and tune in to see that! Looks to be an interesting recipe! Lol, I'm totally ignorant of what Horchata means, so Google here I come.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MRB Tim said:

Horchata Brown Ale

1X Churchills HME
1X Golden LME
4 oz Cara wheat malt
2 oz Vienna malt
4 oz lactose sugar
S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

1 week before bottling:

1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vanilla extract

Did someone say dessert?  Nice!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cato said:

Lol, I'm totally ignorant of what Horchata means, so Google here I come.

For the lazy: Horchata is a Mexican soft drink (of a variety called aguas frescas). It's sweetened rice milk with vanilla and cinnamon.

2 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

For the lazy: Horchata is a Mexican soft drink (of a variety called aguas frescas). It's sweetened rice milk with vanilla and cinnamon.

Google it last night and also found some links to various recipes for Horchata beer.

• Like 1

Happiness is- Wee Heavy Winston

This turned out very well. I've never had a Scotch Ale nor a Northern English Ale and this was a bit of both styles combined with an added kick to cross into the wee heavy territory.

I feel like its probably a very tasty, balanced stout. Not near as rich and complex as the Calavera Stout.

This was the sample trub bottle 15 days after bottling . If it doesn't improve with conditioning, I'd be well pleased with this brew as it stands today.

I got lucky with this recipe, I know that, but it's still nice to have a success.

20180713_164226.jpg

20180713_164514.jpg

20180713_165108.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Happiness is- Wee Heavy Winston

This turned out very well. I've never had a Scotch Ale nor a Northern English Ale and this was a bit of both styles combined with an added kick to cross into the wee heavy territory.

I feel like its probably a very tasty, balanced stout. Not near as rich and complex as the Calavera Stout.

This was the sample trub bottle 15 days after bottling . If it doesn't improve with conditioning, I'd be well pleased with this brew as it stands today.

I got lucky with this recipe, I know that, but it's still nice to have a success.

20180713_164226.jpg

20180713_164514.jpg

20180713_165108.jpg

Nice job!🍻

• Like 1

Nice job!🍻

Thanks! I'm well pleased with this one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Look what @Cato started -- I'm drinking my trub bottle of 9% ABV Chartwell's! :)

image.jpeg

Nice! I was excited to try mine, and wanted to before I left for vacation. I don't like leaving the trub bottles in the conditioning containers for more than a few weeks since they seem to carbonate very quickly.

So, how was it? A lot of mine usually still taste green, but some surprise me at how good they are at that stage.

10 hours ago, Cato said:

Nice! I was excited to try mine, and wanted to before I left for vacation. I don't like leaving the trub bottles in the conditioning containers for more than a few weeks since they seem to carbonate very quickly.

So, how was it? A lot of mine usually still taste green, but some surprise me at how good they are at that stage.

It tasted about what I expected after just a month of conditioning as the high ABV is overpowering the malt profile somewhat.  I like it though and it should develop nicely by Christmas.:)

With @Cato on vacation, I though I just as well drink the trub bottle of Rock & Rye Baltic Porter too.  This one is definitely a contender, haha.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 8:16 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

With @Cato on vacation, I though I just as well drink the trub bottle of Rock & Rye Baltic Porter too.  This one is definitely a contender, haha.

Lol, Cato is back from a great vacation! Had some very good home brews that my brother in law brought. He uses Northern Brewer kits and they were quite tasty.

The Fams favs of mine were the Tangerously Hoppy, Witch's Flight, @Creeps McLanesaison, and yes finally a vote for my Wee Heavy Winston! 

Glad to be back home,lol, need to diet now for sure.

• Like 3

With several Churchill's in inventory, I'm taking a shot at a Belgian Dark Strong Ale:

Oxford Quad

Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.

Weyermann Light Munich, 0.5 lb.

Weyermann Pilsner, 0.5 lb.

Mr. Beer Booster, 0.78 lb.

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.2 lb.

Weyermann CaraBelge, 0.2 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.2 lb.

Fuggle, 0.5 oz., 4.9% AA, 20 min.

SafAle BE-256 Belgian Ale yeast

Vanilla extract, 0.75 tsp. added following primary fermentation

OG was 1.072

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

With several Churchill's in inventory, I'm taking a shot at a Belgian Dark Strong Ale:

Oxford Quad

Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.

Weyermann Light Munich, 0.5 lb.

Weyermann Pilsner, 0.5 lb.

Mr. Beer Booster, 0.78 lb.

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.2 lb.

Weyermann CaraBelge, 0.2 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.2 lb.

Fuggle, 0.5 oz., 4.9% AA, 20 min.

SafAle BE-256 Belgian Ale yeast

Vanilla extract, 0.75 tsp. added following primary fermentation

OG was 1.072

That'll be a tasty one!

I have a couple cans left as well.

3 hours ago, Cato said:

That'll be a tasty one!

I have a couple cans left as well.

I hope so!  It will be interesting to see how 2 packs of booster fill in for Candi sugar in this recipe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I hope so!  It will be interesting to see how 2 packs of booster fill in for Candi sugar in this recipe

Lol, I spotted that in your recipe, and just recently got some D-90 Candi syrup to have on hand when the mood strikes for a dark Belgian.

• Like 1

Just now, Cato said:

Lol, I spotted that in your recipe, and just recently got some D-90 Candi syrup to have on hand when the mood strikes for a dark Belgian.

Yesterday's impromptu brew session was just for fun as I was missing several key ingredients (Candi sugar, Saaz, and Styrian Goldings to name a few).   I finally had to make a trip to the LHBS because I did not even have any Belgian yeast on hand!  I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here but that would take the fun out of it.:D    

• Like 2

Trub bottle of Oxford Quad.  I had my reasons for trying this Belgian Dark Strong after just 2 weeks of carbonation, but after drinking it on an empty stomach, I've forgotten them.  TGIF!

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Busted...

Churchill's Tropical Stout

• Churchills Nut Brown Ale
  • Maris Otter
  • Dark Munich
  • Simpsons Roasted Malt
  • Crisp Chocolate Malt
  • Cacao nibs
  • Flaked barley + flaked oats
  • English Progress hops
  • Fuggle hops
  • Mangrove Jack's UK Dark Ale M03

And who doesn't want to see the only known photo of Winston in a bathing suit?

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Busted...

Churchill's Tropical Stout

• Churchills Nut Brown Ale
  • Maris Otter
  • Dark Munich
  • Simpsons Roasted Malt
  • Crisp Chocolate Malt
  • Cacao nibs
  • Flaked barley + flaked oats
  • English Progress hops
  • Fuggle hops
  • Mangrove Jack's UK Dark Ale M03

And who doesn't want to see the only known photo of Winston in a bathing suit?

image.jpeg

You're definitely dominating the Churchills Challenge! I need to get brewing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cato said:

You're definitely dominating the Churchills Challenge! I need to get brewing!

Alas, I had no lactose on hand to complete this recipe so instead I'm fermenting with Mangrove Jacks UK Dark Ale yeast.  From several past experiences, I'm hoping this yeast will leave plenty of residual sweetness. 🍻

• Like 1

I bottled Churchill's Tropical Stout @ 'FG' 1.020.  So I've got the residual sweetness that I was hoping for but ABV barely makes it for the style at 5.5%.  The hydrometer sample is quite nice though with roasty chocolate and dark malt flavors.  

• Like 5

I had a Chartwell's Special Christmas Ale while cereal-mashing some wheat for a Belgian Witbier recipe -- worth the wait!🍻

image.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I had a Chartwell's Special Christmas Ale while cereal-mashing some wheat for a Belgian Witbier recipe -- worth the wait!🍻

image.jpeg

I still have a couple Churchill's in the pantry. My previous brews with it had a bit of a bitter finish, so I'll have to come up with something sweeter on my next recipe. Lol, plus I'm kinda overstocked with darks right now and struggling to reach for anything with roasted barley.

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

I still have a couple Churchill's in the pantry. My previous brews with it had a bit of a bitter finish, so I'll have to come up with something sweeter on my next recipe. Lol, plus I'm kinda overstocked with darks right now and struggling to reach for anything with roasted barley.

I understand your dilema -- for a while there it seemed that everything in inventory was dark.  I am looking forward to the upcoming rotation of Commons, Pales, Alts and (even) IPAs.  Good luck with your next entry in the Challenge!

• Like 2