Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

Watching Tim's video on racking mead to secondary

I am a wee bit confused. Tim adds nutrient to the mead that he has just racked from the primary. Presumably racking implies that the active fermentation is just about coming to an end so there is virtually no more fermentable sugar for the yeast to work on AND assuming that he uses about 2 lbs of honey/gallon (an SG of about 1.070 or an ABV of about 9%)   yeast cannot take up more nutrient with that amount of alcohol in solution - so what was the purpose of adding more nutrient? Moreover, if you simply add more nutrient than the yeast can handle then either the nutrient will lie around creating off flavors (or flavors you did not intend) OR you simply encourage other microbes by providing them with nutrients they can use. What is the benefit then of adding nutrients so late in the process?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brewer said:

What is the benefit then of adding nutrients so late in the process?

You're not the boss of me, @Brewer, I do what I want. Seriously though, I did it in the melomel because I'd like it if the yeast could ferment some of the sugars from the fruit. In the one I'm going to hop, I did it out of habit, suppose it wasn't strictly necessary. Good thing Fermaid is cheap. 

Yeah, but the inexpense is one thing. My concern is two -fold - 1) the yeast at this stage cannot in fact take up any nutrient (sorry cannot find the reference but I think it is in the Scottslab handbook) and 2) if they cannot then that nutrient is going to flavor the mead AND is going to be a treasure chest for any lurking microbes.