Mr.Beer Community
Axehead

Caramel Stout

My wife loves a Caramel Stout that a local brewery makes. It has a very sweet, rich, caramel flavor. I just ordered the St. Patrick's refill and was wondering if it's possible to make something like that with the LBK. I've made several different recipes with it, but I've only stuck to the instructions and added nothing, so I need to know what to add and at which stage to add it. Thanks!

Interesting question.  From what I have read here fermentation eats up the sweet. I like my stouts so I'll be watching this.

Many flavors in brewing are not made with the ingredients you think.  

"Hey, that honey beer really tastes like honey!"   From honey, right?  Nope - honey dries out a beer, the honey flavor comes from honey malt.

"Hey, I like that citrus flavor is this beer!"  From fruit, right?  Nope - usually from hops.

"Love the chocolate in this beer!"  From melting a chocolate bar, right?  Nope, can't do that, has fat, ruins beer.  From Chocolate Malt grain, very small amounts.

"Hey, I like that caramel flavor in that stout!"  From melting caramels, right?  Nope - from the addition of caramel malts usually.  

When you progress to steeping grain, you would steep some Caramel/Crystal grains, perhaps 40 or 60.  

• Like 3

As Rick said, I'd go with some Crystal 60*.  Have you done partial mash brews before?  If so, I'd start with steeping 4-6oz as a baseline and adjust up or down as needed based on the result.  A Robust and/or Smooth LME would also add some flavor and richness.

*Here's the description of Crystal 60 from MRB's website:  "Crystall 60 is a widely used and versatile medium crystal malt that will contribute a rich sweetness, pleasant toasted bread notes, and a pronounced, full caramel flavor with a light reddish hue. Use 1-4 oz in numerous beer styles for enhanced body and foam stability as well as additional flavor and color."

• Like 3

Thank you, RickBeer and Shrike for your tips. I have not done any steeping yet, only what the instructions say for using the LME. Can you direct me to where I can find info on the steeping process with an refill like the St. Patrick Stout? Like...how long to steep them and when to add them in the process? Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, Axehead said:

Thank you, RickBeer and Shrike for your tips. I have not done any steeping yet, only what the instructions say for using the LME. Can you direct me to where I can find info on the steeping process with an refill like the St. Patrick Stout? Like...how long to steep them and when to add them in the process? Thanks again!

Here's a link to a partial mash recipe using the St. Pat's.   Follow the instructions but substitute the crystal 60 for the other grains in step 2.

It may seem more complex, but it's not really.  And you can brew some great beers with just a bit of added grain.

• Like 2