Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cato

Red Irish Fail Ale

Today I bottled what was supposed to be my Irish Red Ale. Hmm, right now the caps are just labeled Irish Ale and thinking of reprinting my labels to WTF Ale (Why'd This Fail Ale?). Maybe Christina Hendricks went blonde today, maybe I got pranked, maybe I should call it Be-atch Gold Ale, Midas Touch Ale, Irish Curse.

You know that commercial where the guy has been wearing lederhosen thinking he was German and then gets his DNA test back and gets a kilt cause he's Irish or Scottish? I've been thinking I was brewing an Irish Red and turns out its a British Golden! Most likely if I tried to brew a British Golden Ale I would wind up with a perfect ruby red Irish.

Ah, learning curves. I respect the use of Roasted Barley and its way easy to overdo and get that ashtray aftertaste. I've used it several times now in Calavera Stout, Wee Heavy Winston,

both of those were Churchill recipes. My attempt at an Irish Red I just used .5 oz and that wasn't enough. This recipe I used 2oz. as I had read that for a 5 gal. batch no more than 3-5 oz were required.

This batch I hit the exact numbers through Qbrew that I had before for OG 1.055 and FG was 1.005 but with different ingredients as this batch was way more grain BIAB where first attempt I used a can of Maris Otter extract and not as much grain.

Alas, when the bottling wand filled and the hydrometer sample was taken I got more of a dirty blond color than the golden one of my first attempt. So it was a bit darker for sure but I didn't get the color range of red I was looking for. Not even close.

Taste from the hydrometer sample seemed fine, as I used UK Kent Goldings in the boil and also dry hopped with an ounce  of it 7-8 days before cold crash.

I'll move on to other beers in my queue that is mostly an alternation between a pale ale types and a darker brew for fall rotation.

Yeah, I'll come back and try it again cause I don't give up easily and its not that I'm missing the right flavor components, so I do get to enjoy my beer mistake, but I'm going to have to consider maybe my roasted barley was too old, or maybe some addition of Munich or Melanoidin, I don't know but it'll be back to the drawing board for attempt number 3!!

Yield was 21- 12oz bottles and one 12oz trub bottle that I'll sample in a few weeks. ABV was 6.5%, which was surprising since I used more water in the LBK hoping it would finish out around 5.8 but yeast will surprise you at times and so go with the flow on that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cato said:

Today I bottled what was supposed to be my Irish Red Ale. Hmm, right now the caps are just labeled Irish Ale and thinking of reprinting my labels to WTF Ale (Why'd This Fail Ale?). Maybe Christina Hendricks went blonde today, maybe I got pranked, maybe I should call it Be-atch Gold Ale, Midas Touch Ale, Irish Curse.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

😉

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

@Cato Live, Drink and Learn🍻

Yepper, wouldn't be any fun without some hurdles and challenges to overcome. I'll get there, maybe by the road less traveled but I will get there!

• Like 1