Mr.Beer Community
TBONE 69

14 Days Into Fermentation

I am 14 days into my first batch of Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner. So far all has gone well..Will definitely go 21 days. Today I tasted it just to see how things were going, It tasted watery and not much flavor. Will another week add more flavor or will it come with conditioning?

You cant draw any conclusions about the final flavor from a sample you tasted during fermentation. It will change so much in the next 5 weeks. It's your 1st batch so I know you're anxious, but try to leave it alone. Remember, every sample you pull will take away from your yield.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

TBone,

If you pulled the sample from the spigot you need to make sure to sanitize it before pulling anymore of your beer from it. 

I know it is hard to wait but each of your children (beers) needs to grow up before you can see their full potential.  Leave it be for another week, taste a sample at bottling (I always do), but know that sample is very young and not fully developed yet.  By the time you are 75 batches in you can tell from this sample how the beer will turn out.  Carbonation adds a whole new level of taste and aroma that helps dramatically with the final product. 

Until you have several beers in your pipeline it can be difficult to be patient.  Do yourself a favor and buy a mixed 6 pack of craft beer bottles from your local supermarket or carryout.  Drink them while you are waiting and while drinking listen to podcast or read forums to fulfill your brewing addiction.  Or if you have the funds, get another LBK and start a second batch.

Welcome to the obsession we call brewing,

Dawg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

T Bone....my 1st batch in january i would look at it with a flashlight multiple times per day. didn't take me long to buy a second LBK. sometimes amazon or walmart have kits on sale that come with the keg. good way to get some variety going quicker. good luck!

• Like 1