Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vfwrider316

Tepache

Has anyone on here tried this? Its a pineapple beer fermented from the skins. I was reading up on it and there is a lot of guessing game on fermenting time. Some said only 4 day other say 2. From what I learned here just doesn't seem right.  The OL lady like mixing drinks so I thought I would find out some more info.

Thanks

Never heard of it, so I looked it up.  It is not beer.  Beer has 4 ingredients - grain (most often malted barley), hops, yeast, and water.  Tepache has pineapple, turbinado sugar, palm sugar, coriander, grains of paradise, long peppercorns, cubeb peppers and water.  Or it has pineapple (peel and rind), piloncillo or brown sugar, powdered cinnamon.  Or there may be other recipes.  In short, it is a fermented pineapple liquor, not beer.  No grain, no yeast, no hops.  The only thing it has in common with beer is water.  

• Like 1

I LOVE Tepache! Especially the stuff made at Reverend Nat's Cidery in Portland, OR. As Rick correctly pointed out, it is not a beer. But it is not a liquor, either (liquor is distilled, Tepache is not). Tepache is a type of pineapple cider. And yes, it only takes a few days to ferment because it's not that alcoholic of a beverage to begin with. It only averages about 0.5% to 3% ABV. It uses natural yeast and bacteria found on the pineapple to ferment. It is typically mixed with beer to raise the ABV and temper the sweetness similar to a radler or shandy.

• Like 4

Thanks Josh. My wife refuses to drink my homebrew lol.  Just thought since I bought 1 of the gallon fermenters would try something different. She can mix her own beer with it.

• Like 2