Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cato

Mothership Witbier clone recipe

My somewhat cobbled together attempted clone recipe of New Belgium Brewing's Mothership Witbier. I used some info from their website, Briess Malts site, and Austin HomeBrew for the spices and scaled the 5 gal down to what I was intending on 2.63 gal. so I could net 2.5 gal after kettle and fermenter trub loss.

I should have used about 1/2 a gallon more strike water for this and I would have been much closer to my target wort volume and if it had come up short on OG I could have added some Pilsner LME to make up the difference which is what I usually do if my efficiency comes out a little shy. However, I wanted to see how it would turn out AG with no help from boosters or LME.

So I'll be a bit short on packaged volume on this one from trub loss in the fermenter, but was close enough on my OG 1.050 that I went with it and a wort volume of 2 gal.

If I can hit anywhere between 4.7-5% ABV I'll find that acceptable for this style and then it'll all be up to my spice additions to see if I'm in the ballpark.

I didn't realize at the time that @Nickfixit had done some considerable Witbier recipe experiments and could have been a big help in this but it's got another week and a half before cold crashing so we will see how I did before too long. Lol, then I can get some input and tweaks to do better next time on efficiency with my BIAB and gravity targets.

Most recipes favor WLP400 Belgian yeast but its been a bit hot for shipping liquid yeast and I felt safer using a packet of Safale T-58 dry yeast and I had it on hand.

Belgian Witbier-Mothership clone

Recipe Belgian Witbier-Mothership Style Witbier [Belgian]

Brewer Bob Batch 2.63 gal

All Grain BIAB

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity 1.054 OG Estimated FG 1.014 FG

Recipe Bitterness 11 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.3%

Recipe Color 4° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.1%

Ingredients

Quantity Grain Type Use

0.12 lb Flaked Oats [Briess] - (Unmalted) Body, mouthfeel and head retention Adjunct Mashed

0.50 lb Flaked Wheat [Briess] - (Unmalted) Adds body to Witbier Adjunct Mashed

2.50 lb Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US beers of all types Grain Mashed

2.00 lb Wheat (US) (Malted) Grain Mashed

Quantity Hop Type Time

0.50 oz Hallertauer (Germany) - Noble aroma and flavor very floral, earthy with a little spice Pellet 35 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes

0.01 unit Corriander Seed Spice Lemony citrus, spicy, orange flavor - Crush

then add 10 minutes before flameout

0.01 unit Lemon Zest  add 10 minutes before flameout

0.01 unit Orange Peel, Sweet Spice Sweey orange citrus - Add 10 minutes

before flameout

1.00 unit Safbrew T-58 Dry Ale Yeast Yeast Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

Mash at 152-155 for 75 minutes.

Boil for 40 minutes and add .5 oz of Hallertauer hops at 30 min

add 1/8 oz of lemon zest, .25 oz orange zest, and 1/4 oz of cracked coriander at 10 min.

Cool wort to 74F before pitching yeast T-58

ferment for 18 days and cold crash for 3 days then bottle

• Like 2

Should be good. With T-58 maybe more spicy?  I did not try this in a wheat. Should be tasty though.

What is a unit? You used this measure for a lot of things. Oh - is it the amount shown in notes? Why "units"?

16 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Should be good. With T-58 maybe more spicy?  I did not try this in a wheat. Should be tasty though.

What is a unit? You used this measure for a lot of things. Oh - is it the amount shown in notes? Why "units"?

Yeah, the unit thing in Qbrew came out a little weird but yes the amounts were in my notes. Lol, maybe I put them in the wrong section as yeast is usually referred to as a unit.