Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

MUG Midwest meeting, 2019 edition, planning phase

I am currently thinking things over for a MUG Midwest meeting, similar to the one we had this year in Munster IN.  Here are some thoughts:

- Naturally, even though it's "Midwest", anyone/everyone is invited.

- If we get a date and location set up early, more people can participate, including those from more distant locations.

- I'm thinking it should be held in April, like last year.  Most of the snow should be gone from this area by then (although it did snow on us on the day we departed this year)

- We could bring our own beers, but unless we have someone who is BJCP or has similar qualifications, I'm not sure about making it a competition.

Some locations I'm considering are:

- Munster, home of 3 Floyds

- Columbus, specifically https://www.brewdog.com/usa/doghouse

- Cincinnati.  Lots of great breweries there, as well as in Northern Kentucky (specifically Braxton)

- Indianapolis.

- Louisville.  Yes, my home, but I know it well and know the best breweries.

I'm open to other location suggestions.  Also, I know that Louisville has a company that can take us by van to various breweries, so that we don't have to drink and drive.  I'm sure other communities have them as well, or we can hire an Uber van or some other company to truck us around.

Please feel free to post suggestions/comments here, or to me by personal message.

• Like 5

I vote Columbus Oh. There are TONS of breweries around here.... also... here are some pictures from inside Brewdog...

20180622_174320.jpg

20180622_175938.jpg

20180622_175806.jpg

20180622_192517.jpg

20180622_175120.jpg

20180622_192511.jpg

20180622_175056.jpg

20180622_192446.jpg

20180622_185411.jpg

20180622_181802.jpg

20180622_175954.jpg

20180622_192520.jpg

20180622_175052.jpg

20180622_185440.jpg

20180622_174933.jpg

20180622_185426.jpg

20180622_174746.jpg

20180622_185421.jpg

20180622_185414.jpg

20180622_174738.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 5:32 AM, MiniYoda said:

I'm open to other location suggestions.  Also, I know that Louisville has a company that can take us by van to various breweries, so that we don't have to drink and drive.  I'm sure other communities have them as well, or we can hire an Uber van or some other company to truck us around.

Please feel free to post suggestions/comments here, or to me by personal message.

Here's a suggestion:  I think the place is available and I'm pretty sure you could get a deal on the rent.  It might be a little tough getting flights in and out for the attendees, however.

Abandoned home Norway.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@D Kristof, It does look like the Cincinnati / Northern KY area is a great place to have a MUG meeting, and I'm all in.  However, due to financial, medical and work related issues, I won't be able to take the lead on planning an event.  I'd be happy to help you and others plan one, and would participate as well.

• Like 1

@hotrod3539, @scouterbill, @BDawg62, I am trying to figure out who voted, who didn't and for which destination. I'm also trying to establish a time frame. Miniyoda has suggested a Thursday through Sunday in early June. I tagged the three of you because you're my first guesses for 2 of the Cincy votes and 1 Louisville. 

• Like 1

It really shouldn't matter who voted for which place.  As long as we now know it might be in Cincinnati it doesn't matter if someone voted for a different location,  all are welcomed

14 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

It really shouldn't matter who voted for which place.  As long as we now know it might be in Cincinnati it doesn't matter if someone voted for a different location,  all are welcomed

Agree with you in general, but if somebody voted for Cincy but can't make the dates chosen... could be the difference between a gathering of 5 or more of us or the alternative of only 2.

I'd been considering coming this year to meet some of my forum friends but will the knee replacement, it's  too iffy.

My current job status makes June almost impossible.  I may or may not be working at that time so money will be tight.

The reason I suggested early June was to ensure people would have enough time to request off of work, find a hotel and make other travel arrangements.  Is there a weekend which is better for you?

On 2/13/2019 at 6:32 PM, D Kristof said:

@hotrod3539, @scouterbill, @BDawg62, I am trying to figure out who voted, who didn't and for which destination. I'm also trying to establish a time frame. Miniyoda has suggested a Thursday through Sunday in early June. I tagged the three of you because you're my first guesses for 2 of the Cincy votes and 1 Louisville. 

Sorry, I havent voted yet...lol June is a tough month for me to try and take time off as it is busy season. Generally it is frowned upon to take vacation May-October....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Sorry, I havent voted yet...lol June is a tough month for me to try and take time off as it is busy season. Generally it is frowned upon to take vacation May-October....

Nice to see you @hotrod3539. Been awhile i think

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Nice to see you @hotrod3539. Been awhile i think

Good to be around a bit! It has been a little while, work got stupid busy again...... we had a guy quit, another go out on medical leave so that's left just me to take care of about 1/3 of the state... its calming down now since we hired a couple more guys and the guy who went out on medical is coming back. 😊🍺

• Like 1

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:49 AM, hotrod3539 said:

I imagine this up and subzero down winter weather hasn't help keep things calm and steady in your line of work. When we do this would you need a vacation day for a Saturday?

13 hours ago, D Kristof said:

I imagine this up and subzero down winter weather hasn't help keep things calm and steady in your line of work. When we do this would you need a vacation day for a Saturday?

True story... lol 

Not generally but I wont know the oncall schedule for the month until a couple days before month start...which I keep complaining about. I wish they would do a two month schedule or give us more than a couple days. Makes scheduling stuff a bit more difficult. Depending on where we do this I would probably do a Friday through Monday kinda thing for travel and such. (4 day weekend mini vacation-esk kinda thing)

• Like 1

@hotrod3539, since your schedule is more restricted than ours, why don't you set the date that we hold this event?  I can do just about any weekend, as long as I know a weekend or two ahead of time.

@D Kristof, have you researched the beer tour busses?

• Like 1