Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrewDog

Bottling/Conditioning in Growlers

Hello Mr. Beer Community.

At Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp event last year, I had a great conversation with a random elderly man as we both enjoyed our beers, living like kings enjoying endless beer. He told me “if you can boil water, you can make beer!” I never took that comment seriously, but now I find myself currently brewing my first ever beer. I got the Mr. Beer kit as a gift from my fiancé. I am new to brewing, but not new to beer 🤓

I have followed the brew kits directions to a T. My beer has about 10 days left till bottling/conditioning time. I am fortunate to live in Southern California, surrounded by local breweries and tasting rooms, and I have a collection of growlers from these breweries. Some are the flip top variety, some are screw cap, all are 64 oz. glass. When my beer is finished I plan to give the filled growlers to my beer buddies. My question is, can I bottle/condition in these containers? I plan on brewing mostly IPA’s, sours, goses, stouts. I’d like to avoid buying plastic bottles, conditioning them all individually and then filling growlers if I could avoid the extra step and expense. Thanks for reading. 

BrewDog

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrewDog said:

Hello Mr. Beer Community.

At Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp event last year, I had a great conversation with a random elderly man as we both enjoyed our beers, living like kings enjoying endless beer. He told me “if you can boil water, you can make beer!” I never took that comment seriously, but now I find myself currently brewing my first ever beer. I got the Mr. Beer kit as a gift from my fiancé. I am new to brewing, but not new to beer 🤓

I have followed the brew kits directions to a T. My beer has about 10 days left till bottling/conditioning time. I am fortunate to live in Southern California, surrounded by local breweries and tasting rooms, and I have a collection of growlers from these breweries. Some are the flip top variety, some are screw cap, all are 64 oz. glass. When my beer is finished I plan to give the filled growlers to my beer buddies. My question is, can I bottle/condition in these containers? I plan on brewing mostly IPA’s, sours, goses, stouts. I’d like to avoid buying plastic bottles, conditioning them all individually and then filling growlers if I could avoid the extra step and expense. Thanks for reading. 

BrewDog

The name brewdog is taken. How can you say this is your first batch when in fact you already have multiple breweries amd even one international one. I wont fall for this...

That wasnt very helpful was it...

anyway. Stay away from growlers. Maybe the flip top would work but still, embrace plastic for the time being. Its easier to clean up a bulged bottle vs glass shards from a bottle bomb. 

Read this forum front and back. It has a nice search option. Otherwise youll just get told to read the forum... 

• Like 2

Most growlers cannot take the pressure that builds during carbonating and conditioning.  Do not use them.

• Like 2

Always great to want to share your beers - Your friends and relatives will never leave! However, get the process down first. Growlers and flip tops for carbonation and conditioning are not a great idea, as per Rickbeer's post. Plastic is always easy and reliable. 

• Like 1

Amazon has nice stainless 1 gallon mini-kegs for $28; that’s what I’m using. Also, I think 2 liter soda bottles will work for a few batches, when I run out of kegs. My nephew has one of those fancy 1 gallon copper pressurized growlers with a CO2 cartridge. We’ll just pour a couple soda bottles into it when the beer is already carbonated and conditioned and he’ll be set.

I’m a returning noob myself. Where in SoCal are you?

I’m in Laguna.

@Lukon, I've been looking at investing in one or two of those. Can they be used for carbonating and conditioning?

Thank you

Yes, as far as I know, the stainless mini kegs are designed for high psi, even forced carbonation. I haven’t got that far with them yet. I’ve only got two, and my first Mr Beer batch is only 1 week into primary fermentation.  I read a bunch of the reviews on Amazon, and people are carbonating in them.

• Thanks 1