Mr.Beer Community
Palmiter1

Dry hopping/cold crashing

I'd like to dry hop my brew for the last 72 hours but also cold crash at the same time. Will this effect the aroma? Or should I dry hop for 72 hrs then cold crash. Thanks in advance 

8 minutes ago, Palmiter1 said:

I'd like to dry hop my brew for the last 72 hours but also cold crash at the same time. Will this effect the aroma? Or should I dry hop for 72 hrs then cold crash. Thanks in advance 

Depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Most people dry hop at warmer temps to get fruity aroma. Dry hopping while cold will give a more grassy aroma which most people are not going for. Plus hops have sugars which will cause a mini fermentation. Better to dry hop warm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Most people dry hop at warmer temps to get fruity aroma. Dry hopping while cold will give a more grassy aroma which most people are not going for. Plus hops have sugars which will cause a mini fermentation. Better to dry hop warm. 

I don't know how things will turn out with my mini-experiment but I dry-hopped directly into the empty bottle (with carbo drops) with a warm tea, (made with hot water and 1/2 oz hops) pressed from a French Press.  The aroma coming from the tea was heavenly.  I can only hope some of that delicious aroma will impart itself to the beer which was added to each bottle immediately after the cold crash.  Should be interesting to find out - can't wait.  (1 oz hop tea per 25 oz bottle).

I usually dry hop the last 5 days before cold crashing.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I usually dry hop the last 5 days before cold crashing.

This seems to be the most popular way to do it (dry hop).  I chose a different...path.  Just for fun. 

1 hour ago, Mic Todd said:

This seems to be the most popular way to do it (dry hop).  I chose a different...path.  Just for fun. 

That's okay Mic, you might discover something doing that!

However, I shouldn't encourage you too much as the mad scientist guys diskapear fairly quickly and I really want to see if @RickBeer is going to 

A. Send you a long range shock collar for Xmas

B. Make a Mic Todd doll that he can hang from the rafters of his brew cave and thwack with the dough in paddle every time you mention adding sugar adjuncts to your recipes.

Just kidding  in fun here after a few brews on a rainy evening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think he might be using pins in that Mic doll of his (as we write) instead of a paddle.  But not to worry, I don't think I'll be going anywhere soon.  Unless one of my experiments prove fatal. 🙂

• Haha 1