Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Whole Leaf Hops

Recommended Posts

What's the best way to deal with whole hops? I've got some citra that I'm going to dry hop with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 5:41 PM, epete28 said:

What's the best way to deal with whole hops? I've got some citra that I'm going to dry hop with. 

 

I can tell you what I tried but I'm not saying it's the best thing to do with the hops.  I brewed a delicious smelling hop tea by adding boiling water to 1/2 oz of Ekuanot Hops (pellets) in my french press.  I let that steep for about 5 minutes and then poured out one shot glass into each pre-carbo dropped bottle (ummm, it smelled delicious!).  Next, I added the cold-crashed beer into each 25 oz bottle straight from the fridge after crashing for 72 hours (per Rick Beer's suggestion).

 

The hop tea added to the bottle directly before bottling is supposed to impart the aromas and taste of the hops without adding the bitterness as when you hop it in the wort or in the keg directly upon addition of the wort.

 

Good luck on whatever you try.  I love experimenting - and it sounds like you do too.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

 

I can tell you what I tried but I'm not saying it's the best thing to do with the hops.  I brewed a delicious smelling hop tea by adding boiling water to 1/2 oz of Ekuanot Hops in my french press.  I let that steep for about 5 minutes and then poured out one shot glass into each pre-carbo dropped bottle (ummm, it smelled delicious!).  Next, I added the cold-crashed beer into each 25 oz bottle straight from the fridge after crashing for 72 hours (per Rick Beer's suggestion).

 

The hop tea added to the bottle directly before bottling is supposed to impart the aromas and taste of the hops without adding the bitterness as when you hop it in the wort or in the keg directly upon addition of the wort.

 

Good luck on whatever you try.  I love experimenting - and it sounds like you do too.  😎

I knew exactly what I was going to do, but the wonderful lady at my LHBS talked me into this purchase because she was out of citra pellets. Lol

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, epete28 said:

What's the best way to deal with whole hops? I've got some citra that I'm going to dry hop with. 

Whole leafs will float. Id recommend weighting them down in a hop sack with sanitized marbles or stainless ball bearings. My local hardware store has a drawer of chrome bearings that ive purchased previously. Those work also. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i use them just like pellets.after the boil i run the wort through a fine mesh strainer to aerate and grab hops and break matter.  use a little more leaf than you would pellet. as for whole cones i imagine you would also use a little more. pellets are concentrated goodness.

 

for a mr beer kit, buy a lb of dme or lme . lme is easier to deal with. do a small short boil of lme , water and hops like about 8-10 minutes if you want to add some hop goodness without adding tons of bitter.  or when your wort is in the lbk you can toss a handful or two of hop cones in a sanitized hop sack and tie it. then drop that into the lbk to dry hop.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Whole leafs will float. Id recommend weighting them down in a hop sack with sanitized marbles or stainless ball bearings. My local hardware store has a drawer of chrome bearings that ive purchased previously. Those work also. 

 

Well, that's interesting to the max.  Brewing with ball bearings....how clever.  Don't see why a smooth rock wouldn't also work?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to weigh down a hop sack i drop a shot glass in some star san... put it in the hop sack. just enough weight when it fills to sink.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 1:24 AM, zorak1066 said:

to weigh down a hop sack i drop a shot glass in some star san... put it in the hop sack. just enough weight when it fills to sink.

 

Perhaps you can give me an idea what in the he_k I'm going to do with this that the wife brought home today - from a Christmas Bazaar of all places!

Hops 11-2018.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what variety? cones or pellet? or leaves?

 

if they are aroma or flavor hops (ie low bittering) you can dry hop lbk batches.  (see above)

if they are bittering  hops (ie high alpha acid content) you can kick up the bitter on meh batches by adding a pound of lme fitting to the style, boiled with a gallon of water and a measure of the hops. boil for about 20 minutes , cool, strain... add to mr beer kit. ask for the amount to use when you know the kit... or plug and chug in a recipe calculator to see the impact on IBUs the addition would have.

 

when you open the bag for first use, you can transfer the rest to a mason jar. if you have one of those jar that you can suck out the air from even better... or transfer to a ziplock bag.. use a straw to suck out the air.. seal.. put in another ziplock bag and store in your fridge.  over time they start to lose 'freshness' but ive used whole hops that were in the fridge for over a year and a half without any noticeable loss in quality.

 

now, thank your wife for supporting your hobby and get busy brewing!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

what variety? cones or pellet? or leaves?

now, thank your wife for supporting your hobby and get busy brewing!

 

They're not pellets but 'look' to be cones.  The seller told her what they were, but she can't remember.  (my wife is entirely unfamiliar with hop names or terms).  The seller also told her that besides brewing, they could be used to make a "pleasing bath ingredient"... "adding aroma and soothing feeling to the skin."  Indeed.!!

I lack any hop sacks at this time but have some coming in the mail.  I wish I knew more about them but I'm certainly not going to waste them in a bathtub.  I guess they will have to remain one of my future 'secret' ingredients, secret even to me.  There's at least a couple pounds in this vacuum packed pouch.  $10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take a cone... rub it in your palm between your hands. wear gloves if you have super allergen sensitive skin. smell it.

 

does it smell floral? piney? fruity? earthy?

it is a heavy smell or just a hint?

 

another thing you can try is steep some in hot water like a tea. take a taste. is it grassy? citrusy?

 

these things will give you a good idea how to use them. a common hop variety people grow is cascade. it is a bittering hop that has a grapefruity taste in beer. to me it smells a little piney.

 

you could do a mini 1gal beer of just some dme (1#) and maybe a 1/4 oz of cone? boil for 20 mins.. at 8 mins left  toss in another 1/8 oz. flame out. chill... strain. toss in sachel of coopers fromunda yeast (under the lid)... ferment and try it. see what the hops taste like to you.  should give you a 1 gallon sampler beer at about 4% and about 20-30 ibus (guessing not knowing what variety they are)..  i used cascade as a guesstimate.  they could be anything really. if it comes out really bitter or really tasting like citrus or tangerines... or mellon.. or grass.. you can get a better idea of how to use them.

 

i had a bunch of really old stale hops that still had some flavor and had not gone cheesy yet. i ground some up and mixed it with salt to use as seasoning. that was odd.. but not unpleasant.  made everything i put them in slightly bitter. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

take a cone... rub it in your palm between your hands. wear gloves if you have super allergen sensitive skin. smell it.  does it smell floral? piney? fruity? earthy?  it is a heavy smell or just a hint?   another thing you can try is steep some in hot water like a tea. take a taste. is it grassy? citrusy?

 

these things will give you a good idea how to use them. a common hop variety people grow is cascade. it is a bittering hop that has a grapefruity taste in beer. to me it smells a little piney.

 

you could do a mini 1gal beer of just some dme (1#) and maybe a 1/4 oz of cone? boil for 20 mins.. at 8 mins left  toss in another 1/8 oz. flame out. chill... strain. toss in sachel of coopers fromunda yeast (under the lid)... ferment and try it. see what the hops taste like to you.  should give you a 1 gallon sampler beer at about 4% and about 20-30 ibus (guessing not knowing what variety they are)..  i used cascade as a guesstimate.  they could be anything really. if it comes out really bitter or really tasting like citrus or tangerines... or mellon.. or grass.. you can get a better idea of how to use them.

 

 

Thanks Zorak.  That's some excellent advice and I will definitely try it.  I'm searching around now for something to store the opened hops in once I break seal on this vacuum bag.  There's a LOT of hops in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mason jars work nice as do ziplock bags for hop storage. just keep them in your fridge, sealed tight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like vaccum sealed bags. If the bag has an oz in it, i can take 1/2 out and then seal it back up. Zero oxygen is a great thing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...