Mr.Beer Community
ewildcat7

Pumpkin Rising

The holiday season has made me think of pumpkin beer.  I was looking through the Coopers and Mr. Beer recipes and found that they each have a beer called Pumpkin Rising.  They have similarities and differences.  So, I wanted to ask those on here who are more experienced than I am for their option as to which one you all think would be better based on the respective ingredients.  Here are the recipes:

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pumpkin-rising.html

https://www.mrbeer.com/pumpkin-rising-recipe

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

The holiday season has made me think of pumpkin beer.  I was looking through the Coopers and Mr. Beer recipes and found that they each have a beer called Pumpkin Rising.  They have similarities and differences.  So, I wanted to ask those on here who are more experienced than I am for their option as to which one you all think would be better based on the respective ingredients.  Here are the recipes:

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pumpkin-rising.html

https://www.mrbeer.com/pumpkin-rising-recipe

Thanks in advance!

Can only speak of MRB's recipe:  I'm fermenting it now as I write. Will finish on Monday.  It was fun (and easy) to make but I did change things just a teensy bit: using my wife's pumpkin spices versus the MRB or store-bought.  I think either would be good, but you'll hear more from the rest of the guys soon.  I think a lot of them have made this beer.  Only wish I had started mine a month sooner.

Which brings me to my question for other brewers who HAVE made MRB's Pumpkin Rising beer:  what do you guys think about using brown sugar (cane sugar & molasses) to bottle prime with for this recipe instead of the carbo drops?  I have two choices: light brown sugar and dark brown sugar.  The 'light' contains some invert sugar, the 'dark' just cane sugar and molasses.  Or, a 3rd option for me would be raw honey?

makes no diff what sugar you prime with except for maybe the amount to use being different based on type.  oh and brown 'sugar' tends to produce licorice flavors if used in batches. i doubt the priming amount will have any adverse effect. i used it in a stout once... ew. black licorice stout was not good. as for honey why waste good honey on priming?  the amount of sugar used for priming contributes nothing but co2 gas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Which brings me to my question for other brewers who HAVE made MRB's Pumpkin Rising beer:  what do you guys think about using brown sugar (cane sugar & molasses) to bottle prime with for this recipe instead of the carbo drops?  I have two choices: light brown sugar and dark brown sugar.  The 'light' contains some invert sugar, the 'dark' just cane sugar and molasses.  Or, a 3rd option for me would be raw honey?

Sugar dots work great for bottle priming.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

as for honey why waste good honey on priming?  the amount of sugar used for priming contributes nothing but co2 gas.

Well, I had read on one website offering a priming calculator that honey would "impart some floral notes" to the beer.  But this is why I asked you guys - to see if any had tried that and if it were true or not.  I still have enuf carbo drops but will be running low soon.  Just bouncing ideas off more experienced brewers like yourself...😎

7 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Table sugar.

Got lots of that!  😎

in order to impart any kind of real 'notes' you would have to use honey as an adjunct in the recipe...

in about a 12 oz bottle at 2 units of co2 (for illustration only) - you are using less than 2 grams of honey in one bottle.. less than TWO GRAMS. a TEASPOON is 7 grams.  so in 12 oz can you detect less than half a skimpy teaspoon of honey? i doubt it.. unless you use some really expensive funky manuka honey from new zealand and as expensive as that is, you'd be a fool to do so.

Sugar Amount in Grams Amount in Oz Amount in Cups
Corn Sugar 1.57 0.06 0.01
Sucrose
1.43 0.05 0.01
Turbinado
1.43 0.05 0.01
Demarara
1.43 0.05 0.01
Dextrose
1.57 0.06 0.01
Corn Syrup
2.09 0.07 0.01