Mr.Beer Community
Zoot Horn Rollo

Old LBK Markings (Quart/Liter) VS new markings (1 & 2)

Hello again, It's been quite a while since I posted. Haven't brewed in a few years (just too damned hard to control temps at my old Santee CA residence). Well, moved up to WA last year and really have no excuse not to give homebrewing another spin. Ordered a couple of recipes and broke out my old kits. Instructions for brewing now indicate that liquid levels should be set at Mark 1 and then filled to Mark 2 level on LBKs. My old LBK's still have the old quarts/liter markings so, I'm curious...can I still use my kits? What is the equivalence between the old markings and the new? Thanks for any help.

Best, Zoot

18 minutes ago, Zoot Horn Rollo said:

What is the equivalence between the old markings and the new? Thanks for any help.

Best, Zoot

I expect as soon as Rick Beer sees your question you'll have an answer you can trust.  There's a lot of home-brew knowledge residing on this forum and new brewers like myself are learning a lot from a lot from them. 

I suspect your old-style LBK will work fine if you equate your quart marks to gallon marks.  The new instructions have you add 1 gallon of chilled water to the LBK before pouring in the hot wort.  Add the wort.  Then, after stirring well, you top off that mix with more chilled water to the 2 gallon mark.  Stir again, then pitch the yeast.  Do not stir after pitching.  Since 4 quarts = 1 gallon, you should be able to easily figure that out.  Welcome back!

Mark 1 - 4 quarts 

Mark 2 - 8.5 quarts / 8 liters

Just fill it like you used to.

20 hours ago, Zoot Horn Rollo said:

Hello again, It's been quite a while since I posted. Haven't brewed in a few years (just too damned hard to control temps at my old Santee CA residence). Well, moved up to WA last year and really have no excuse not to give homebrewing another spin. Ordered a couple of recipes and broke out my old kits. Instructions for brewing now indicate that liquid levels should be set at Mark 1 and then filled to Mark 2 level on LBKs. My old LBK's still have the old quarts/liter markings so, I'm curious...can I still use my kits? What is the equivalence between the old markings and the new? Thanks for any help.

Best, Zoot

Welcome back to the forums. 

• Like 2