Mr.Beer Community
greyhound

BrewMax Booster won't dissolve??

I'm always having a problem getting BrewMax to dissolve completely.  Usually I'm reasonably successful after long term effort.  I pour slowly and stir constantly with a wire whisk but it always clumps and takes forever to get it to MOSTLY dissolve.  Is there a better way to address this issue?  And does the yeast finish the job on any small clumps in the wort?

2 hours ago, greyhound said:

I'm always having a problem getting BrewMax to dissolve completely.  Usually I'm reasonably successful after long term effort.  I pour slowly and stir constantly with a wire whisk but it always clumps and takes forever to get it to MOSTLY dissolve.  Is there a better way to address this issue?  And does the yeast finish the job on any small clumps in the wort?

i know they say to add it to cold water and stir it in till it dissolves. i usually add it at flameout at the same time i'm adding the HME can, LME....etc. Yes, i believe that yeast will chew up any chunks of sugar that are not dissolved, but i doubt they will stay clumps for long once they're in the wort. 

• Like 2

^^^^what he said ^^^^. Like a sugar cube in a bottle, it will dissolve. Regardless, the yeast will find it.

Pour slowly and stir when in cold water. I use a whisk as well and it dissolves nicely every time. I slowly pour about 1/2 the pack in and stir until disslove and repeat.

I find it clumps more in cold water.  So I add it after sparging any mashed/steeped grains, before bringing the water up to a boil.  It seems to take a lot less whisking to get it dissolved that way.

• Like 2

I just don't use booster anymore...….of course the DME I use in its place behaves the same and with that, I put the heat on and slowly whisk it in while the water heats up.  Works for me.  There are more ways to dissolve booster and DME than I can count.

• Like 1

Don't worry if it doesn't completely dissolve. The yeast will find their way. ;)

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 6:46 PM, Shrike said:

I find it clumps more in cold water.  So I add it after sparging any mashed/steeped grains, before bringing the water up to a boil.  It seems to take a lot less whisking to get it dissolved that way.

That's the same way I do it and it dissolves readily compared to using cold water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gophers6 said:

That's the same way I do it and it dissolves readily compared to using cold water.

I used MRB booster for the 1st time with this latest (my 7th) batch and you are right - it must be added to hot water and then slowly.  I was taken aback by how hard it was to get it to dissolve even tho I added it just after flame-out.  When they say "add it SLOWLY" they (MRB) weren't kidding.  I much prefer to be adding DME, which must also be added slowly for the same reason.

19 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

I used MRB booster for the 1st time with this latest (my 7th) batch and you are right - it must be added to hot water and then slowly.  I was taken aback by how hard it was to get it to dissolve even tho I added it just after flame-out.  When they say "add it SLOWLY" they (MRB) weren't kidding.  I much prefer to be adding DME, which must also be added slowly for the same reason.

When using DME I use the blender method.  It works like a charm.