Mr.Beer Community
Stevo0083

Diablo IPA with US-05

First beer brew in years. Today was brew day! 

Diablo IPA with US-05 

20181208_145950[4437].jpg

20181208_162818[4438].jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Stevo0083 said:

First beer brew in years. Today was brew day! 

Diablo IPA with US-05 

that's an old school LBK. I like it! hope your brew turns out excellent.

• Like 1

I did not know the LBK's changed. I'll have to check them out and see what the difference is.

3 minutes ago, Stevo0083 said:

I did not know the LBK's changed. I'll have to check them out and see what the difference is.

i think just the spigot. 

i like that hose barb on the spigot. that would be handy for a bottling wand or something like that.

• Like 1

On Sunday, December 09, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Jdub said:

i like that hose barb on the spigot. that would be handy for a bottling wand or something like that.

Oh how I wish the new spigots had that hose barb. Sliding the wand up in there on the new spigots leads to nothing but a mess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D Kristof said:

Oh how I wish the new spigots had that hose barb. Sliding the wand up in there on the new spigots leads to nothing but a mess.

i was wondering about that. i bought a bottling wand recently and noticed it fit inside the spigot. Fit pretty loose. Is that how it's supposed to be used?

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

i was wondering about that. i bought a bottling wand recently and noticed it fit inside the spigot. Fit pretty loose. Is that how it's supposed to be used?

That's weird because my bottling wand from MB fits so tight I have to twist and push to get it to slide in or pre wet it with sanitizer. Not super easy to get out after bottling either.

8 minutes ago, Cato said:

That's weird because my bottling wand from MB fits so tight I have to twist and push to get it to slide in or pre wet it with sanitizer. Not super easy to get out after bottling either.

hmmmm i bought mine from my HBS. fits in there perfect, but it's loose. maybe i'll try the MRB next time i order from them.

Just now, Jdub said:

hmmmm i bought mine from my HBS. fits in there perfect, but it's loose. maybe i'll try the MRB next time i order from them.

Yeah, might fit better. I bought an extra from MB to use with my brew buckets and it fits tight on my LBK's as well.

• Like 1

Difference in new LBK is the spigot which also has a different size fitting hole ( :-/)  but does come apart or cleaning ( 🙂 and the size of the top hole which makes cleaning easier. 

Mine though are also darker, making it very difficult to see the liquid levels - can't easily see liquid from outside or line from inside. Flashlight and tape markers help.

I just (Sept)  made a Diablo with  the Mr B yeast. Good but I should have put some aroma hop in.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Cato said:

Bought mine from MrBeer. It doesn't leak as much as it does fall out. Wrap tape around it, sanitize it...it still moves upward into the spigot blocking off all flow whenever I try to fill a bottle. Becomes a two hands job. One to hold the bottle, the other to hold the wand to keep it stationary.

15 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

Bought mine from MrBeer. It doesn't leak as much as it does fall out. Wrap tape around it, sanitize it...it still moves upward into the spigot blocking off all flow whenever I try to fill a bottle. Becomes a two hands job. One to hold the bottle, the other to hold the wand to keep it stationary.

Wow, I've had mine too far up and blocked some flow, but no way would it fall out. If it was loose I'd probably put a wrap of teflon tape on it.

47 minutes ago, Cato said:

Wow, I've had mine too far up and blocked some flow, but no way would it fall out. If it was loose I'd probably put a wrap of teflon tape on it.

that's what i think i will try, the teflon tape wrap. will test with water 1st!

• Like 1

The older Mr. Beer fermenters were designed to have a short piece of hose go over the spigot, and then onto a bottling wand.  That allowed a longer piece of hose to be used and the wand to be moved around a lot.

My batch priming process uses a 2.5 gallon slimline from Walmart.  The bottling wand fits into the spigot (which is very similar to the new Mr. Beer spigots), in fact you have to take a drill bit and turn it by hand in a new spigot to get it a tad bigger (and then wash and sanitize the spigot).  Rarely does it fall out.  

The newer fermenters are designed for the wand to go inside as noted.  If your bottling wand slips out, then the solution (beyond taping) would be to take the spigot and wand to your local hardware store (making sure they sell food grade tubing by the foot - Lowe's and Home Depot only sell 10 foot lengths now).  Get a section of hose that fits into the spigot, and then play around with hoses to go over the bottling wand, and connect them with an adapter to the piece of hose in the spigot.  Use hose clamps to hold the pieces of hose together.  Not pretty, but it won't undo as easily.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 7:23 AM, RickBeer said:

The older Mr. Beer fermenters were designed to have a short piece of hose go over the spigot, and then onto a bottling wand.  That allowed a longer piece of hose to be used and the wand to be moved around a lot.

My batch priming process uses a 2.5 gallon slimline from Walmart.  The bottling wand fits into the spigot (which is very similar to the new Mr. Beer spigots), in fact you have to take a drill bit and turn it by hand in a new spigot to get it a tad bigger (and then wash and sanitize the spigot).  Rarely does it fall out.  

The newer fermenters are designed for the wand to go inside as noted.  If your bottling wand slips out, then the solution (beyond taping) would be to take the spigot and wand to your local hardware store (making sure they sell food grade tubing by the foot - Lowe's and Home Depot only sell 10 foot lengths now).  Get a section of hose that fits into the spigot, and then play around with hoses to go over the bottling wand, and connect them with an adapter to the piece of hose in the spigot.  Use hose clamps to hold the pieces of hose together.  Not pretty, but it won't undo as easily.  

I have to transfer my wild ale into two gallon carboys from my lbk, i think ill just use my mini auto siphon after reading this thread. Then ill probably just throw it away. I ordered it on accident a long time ago