Mr.Beer Community
DrDave

Leaking Spigot

Mixed up my first batch using the Mr. Beer kit fermentor and checked it this morning to discover this (see first photo). Spigot is leaking. I turned it from the outside twice to try and tighten it up but didn’t help. I tried remedying the situation by gently standing the fermenter on its end but then the brew leaked out around the lid. Finally I found a small range of angle where the brew was neither against the spigot or the lid (see photo). Guess I have to leave it like this for 3 weeks. My question is can anyone think of another solution and will my beer still turn out? I probably lost two cups of solution from the bottom overnight. 

D157A3FC-ACEE-47DD-9839-883F56B89A15.jpeg

EEFC77DA-E2A1-4F0B-89E0-F15508592F79.jpeg

Yeast and wort is it relatively forgiving combination. Give it three weeks and your beer should turn out fine as long as you can maintain wort temperatures in the 64° to 68° range.  As far as the spigot is concerned, is the leak coming from the actual spigot or from where it connects to the LBK? If it's coming from where the spigot connects to the LBK,  that's probably due to the fact that the molding of the LBK has left small ridges where the 2 halves meet. You can use either Emery cloth or fine grain sandpaper to very gently smooth those out. If the leaking is coming from the spigot, you will need to take the spigot apart and check all of the mating surfaces. There might be a deformed o-ring or the spigot is not fully tightened down. You'll need to take the spigot apart anyway to clean it once you bottle this batch and that would be a good time to do your inspection. It's always a good practice to fill the LBK at least half full of water and let it sit for 20 minutes to half an hour to check for any leaks before filling with the wort. This batch has shown you why. You might want to go ahead and order another spigot just to have on hand. I have a few spares myself, because they don't last forever.

RDWHAHB ('R'elax, 'D'on't 'W'orry 'H'ave 'A' 'H'ome 'B'rew)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The "leak" has been discussed several times, in different threads. The solution appears to be a light sanding of any burr on the LBK, and re-seat the gasket (correctly oriented) hand tight. Just my experience, but once I got the spigot correctly seated and tightened, I have not touched it again (correct - I do not disassemble it to clean). A complete sanitation of the whole LBK with the spigot in place works for me. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. That helps. Yep looking closely I think there is a slight ridge to the seam so I suspect it’s the interface and not the spigot leaking itself. They should really take care of that ridge in the manufacturing process. I’ll have to wait for this batch to finish before disassembling and sanding. Thanks. 

i know this doesnt help now but im 3 for 3. all 3 of my lbk's needed sanding around the outside edges. when i tested them initially for leaks as per the instructions they all failed right out of the box. many batches later they all work great now!

• Thanks 1

Also make sure that the washer is properly installed (next time).  Flat side goes towards the spigot, rounded side goes toward the LBK.  Then HAND TIGHTEN ONLY, about 1/4 turn past tight.  Then, as recommended prior, fill with water (I put in the same level as my beer will be to match the pressure), and let sit for 1/2 hour.  Sometimes it has to be retightened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1