Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Rooster

Wort, Yeast & Temperature

Not until Zombie Dust clone was made, it was realized that yeast was being pitched into an unknown wort temperature.

US-04 was pitched into 70 degree wort, then LBK was moved to a 60 degree basement.

What is the proper safe range to pitch yeast into wort ?

Thanks

Fire Rooster,

Pitching into 70 degree wort is OK but it would be better to be a little cooler.  When the yeast are first pitched is the most critical time for flavor developement since that is when they are making sure they have enough population to do the job at hand.  During this time if it is too warm, they will put off flavors that may not be desirable.  Once fermentation starts temperature is still important but not quite as critical as in the beginning. 

If my wort is too warm when I am ready to pitch, I put my fermenter in my fermentation chamber and cool it to below where I want to ferment and then pitch.  If you don't have a fermentation chamber a cooler with ice bottles or your refrigerator will work to cool the wort.  As long as your sanitation practices are good, you could wait 12 hours to pitch at the proper temperature.  Every beer that I brew gets pitched at 62 (it don't do lagers yet) and then adjusted for fermentation temperature based on the yeast.  Belgians and Saisons are allowed to raise to the mid 60s with all other ales remaining at 62 for the next 3 days before being allowed to rise. 

Dawg

22 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Not until Zombie Dust clone was made, it was realized that yeast was being pitched into an unknown wort temperature.

US-05 was pitched into 70 degree wort, then LBK was moved to a 60 degree basement.

What is the proper safe range to pitch yeast into wort ?

Thanks

For ales I've often read below 80. Personally I try to pitch within the temp range on the yeast packet. S-05 seems pretty forgiving in its pitch as I've not had any issues pitching from 63-75F.

BDawg62 & Cato, thanks, corrected yeast it was US-04 not US-05.

My thoughts exactly, pitching would of been best with a lower wort temp.

All the Mr Beers I've made, wort temp pitching yeast? who knows.

And the killer is that I have a real good kitchen laser digital temperature gauge, just point and shoot, very accurate.

If you follow the Mr. Beer instructions, i.e. putting one gallon of cold water into the LBK, then adding the contents of the pot (made with the amount of water it specified), then top off with cold water, your pitching temp will be perfect.  

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

If you follow the Mr. Beer instructions, i.e. putting one gallon of cold water into the LBK, then adding the contents of the pot (made with the amount of water it specified), then top off with cold water, your pitching temp will be perfect.  

No subtle shot at Mr Beer was intended.  Going forward I am looking at all variables, and taking nothing for granted within my control.

I'm sure the temperature was perfect, but in the future I will know exactly what that is.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

If you follow the Mr. Beer instructions, i.e. putting one gallon of refrigerator-temperature cold water into the LBK, then adding the contents of the pot (made with the amount of water it specified), then top off with cold water, your pitching temp will be perfect.  

I made a small addition to your statement.

i am impatient and usually pitch hot and worry about cooling to fermentation temp later.  as long as you arent pitching into scalding hot wort, and you work to bring down the temps it shouldnt hurt anything.  i have pitched yeast into 80+ degree wort with no ill effect. of course it takes ice forever to drop temps to 64f but i cant tell any off flavors.

the important thing is that you want to avoid thermal shock i think. if you rehydrate, your wort temp should be no more than 10-15 degrees f different than your hydrating water temp. ex rehydrating in 98f water... pitching into 62f might cause shock.