Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spoodge

Looking for opinions.....

I’m sure I’m going to get a lot of doo doo for this question but here goes....

Can I brew a batch with just DME?  I don’t have any grains or hops laying around. Ive done it as a yeast starter but was wondering if  the results would be drinkable... if so what volume of DME Should be used in lbs for a  mrB kit? Could I use tea bags for grains to add something different??? Just thinking outside the box.  

Ok folks have at it. I’m looking forward to your answers.  

Definition of beer - water, grain, hops, yeast.

Without all 4, you cannot brew beer.

If you don't use hops, you have no preservatives for one.  And, you have no bitterness to offset the malt.  

• Like 1

Many, many extract brewers brew with just DME for the wort.  But they also use hops; as RickBeer says, it really ain't beer without hops.

As far as how much DME equates to a MRB recipe, approximately eight ounces of DME produces about 1% ABV.  So based on that, for a 4% ABV beer you'd want about two pounds of DME, three pounds for a 6%, etc.  Note, though, that the yeast you use will also affect those ABV levels.  You can plug what you're using into QBrew or other brewing software to get truer numbers.

But really, you're going to want some hops.  People brewing only with DME have hop schedules that can be 60-75 minutes long.

• Like 1

You need hops, at least a bittering addition.  Without hops you don't have beer.

Here is a simple DME 2.25 gallon recipe.

Blonde Ale

2.5# Pale DME

.25oz Columbus (Tomohawk)   60 Minutes

.25oz Columbus (Tomohawk)   15 Minutes

.50oz Cascade                                  1 minute

1 pkt   US - 05 yeast

• Like 1

Man has been brewing "beer" for nearly 10k years. Hops are only a relatively recent addution to brewing. Without hops for bittering I think it's called gruit. Regardless, I think there are recipes online using spruce tips and other vegetation for the purpose of bittering.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

You need hops, at least a bittering addition.  Without hops you don't have beer.

Here is a simple DME 2.25 gallon recipe.

Blonde Ale

2.5# Pale DME

.25oz Columbus (Tomohawk)   60 Minutes

.25oz Columbus (Tomohawk)   15 Minutes

.50oz Cascade                                  1 minute

1 pkt   US - 05 yeast

Gonna give this a try

• Like 1

All great answers so far...how about I use some tea bags as a dry hop ingredient? What do you think the outcome would taste like? Is it Worth a shot or would I be wasting some good DME?

If you can’t tell I’m out of ingredients and don’t wanna go to the Local brew shop until after Christmas. I’m not short on beer but need to get my brewing fix on.  🍺 Cheers!

Sure.  Tea and hops are almost the same thing... 😬

Beer requires hops,  for bittering, aroma, taste AND to preserve the beer, as explained prior.

You can't use tea, or dirty socks (Hoppy has tried).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok.... thanks for all the answers...guess I’ll have to wait. All good stuff.  I was really thinking I was on to something.  Guess I have to add brewing ingredients to my Christmas wish list.  

Thnx again for the download of knowledge. 

Human kind has been drinking fermented grains and fruits for 10,000 years as stated. Some anthropologists suggest that this was the foundation for civilization. However, what these beverages tasted like (according to re-creations) were not what most people would consider very good. Stick to malted barley, hops, yeast and pure water for beer (as we know it by modern definition).  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

Human kind has been drinking fermented grains and fruits for 10,000 years as stated. Some anthropologists suggest that this was the foundation for civilization. However, what these beverages tasted like (according to re-creations) were not what most people would consider very good. Stick to malted barley, hops, yeast and pure water for beer (as we know it by modern definition).  

I think this is the episode im looking for. One of the few episodes i listened to again after it was done. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/beersmith-home-and-beer-brewing-podcast/id398500515?mt=2&i=1000390524145