Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdub

Grain Shelf Life

Hey forum friends, I have a giant bag in my garage fridge of various grains. Mostly leftovers from PM MRB recipes and bags of random grains I got from my LHBS. How long are they good for? Let's assume they've been in the fridge and will be until I need them. I am trying to see if I should have any particular sense of urgency to brew with them, or make up another "leftovers" batch. Is there a decrease in mash efficiency the longer they sit? Also, do you guys/gals fridge leftover hops? or do you freeze them?

JDub in TX

41 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Hey forum friends, I have a giant bag in my garage fridge of various grains. Mostly leftovers from PM MRB recipes and bags of random grains I got from my LHBS. How long are they good for? Let's assume they've been in the fridge and will be until I need them. I am trying to see if I should have any particular sense of urgency to brew with them, or make up another "leftovers" batch. Is there a decrease in mash efficiency the longer they sit? Also, do you guys/gals fridge leftover hops? or do you freeze them?

JDub in TX

First of all, i dont believe a fridge is the best place to store grains. You want a dry, cool place. A fridge is moist, unless they are in a vacuum sealed bag id pull them out. 

Heres what i would say, assuming the dry, cool storage. Otherwise you can get a musty flavor and decreased efficiency.

Cracked grains- use asap, prob no longer than a few weeks with out problems

whole grains- up to a year. Asap is always better but a few months will be no problem, a year at most.

hops are affected by time, temp, and light. Freeze them in a vacuum sealed bag. These too will diminish, the degree depends on the variety. BeerSmith has a nice tool built in to the recipe builder which takes into acct the age of hops. The flavor will change also. Lets say columbus hops, they have great flavors to begin but as they age they can give off flavors of onion and clove, most hops may get a grassy taste over time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

First of all, i dont believe a fridge is the best place to store grains. You want a dry, cool place.

Did I mention I live in North Texas? Dry cool place.....does not compute. no basements here. and all my grains are already cracked.

2 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Did I mention I live in North Texas? Dry cool place.....does not compute. no basements here. and all my grains are already cracked.

Sounds like you have a brew day coming up... i do the same thing when i have grains that have just been sitting around too long. Throw them in a kettle and work with what you have. Possibly you could post what you have laying around in the choose my brew thread and we can all have a go at what would be a good brew?

10 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Sounds like you have a brew day coming up... i do the same thing when i have grains that have just been sitting around too long. Throw them in a kettle and work with what you have. Possibly you could post what you have laying around in the choose my brew thread and we can all have a go at what would be a good brew?

THAT is an excellent idea. I will post my inventory soon and see what you guys suggest. I admit, I am learning about what goes well with what. I have a dark brew in bottles right now that I called Jdub special dark, which was a mish mash of different leftovers. I have another in my LBK right now that I call Spitball Ale b/c it is from a PM kit and some other leftovers. I have them all loaded in BS so I can refer back to them if I need to, or want to repeat.

I've been vacuum sealing my grains when I get them in and then just store them in a plastic tote upstairs. The base malts rotate out pretty quickly, but I'm in the same boat with all these odd lots of specialty grains. I don't think they'll spoil anytime soon being vacuum sealed, but they have to be slowly degrading.

All my hops have been in the fridge and not the freezer, so that's definitely an issue.

I hate the thought of purging, but maybe I'd be better served to do that in January.

• Thanks 1

sounds like i need to ask for a vacuum sealer for christmas!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Im sorry to tell you but you may be on the naughty list... i hope you have a birthday soon

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Im sorry to tell you but you may be on the naughty list... i hope you have a birthday soon

i think you're probably right. wife is getting tired of all the beer talk. birthday shortly after christmas!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jdub said:

They come in quite handy; I received one for Christmas a few years ago and use it often.

• Like 1