Mr.Beer Community
pborder

Returning to Mr Beer

I had a Mr Beer system years ago before Cooper bought them and for whatever reason just stopped brewing.  I just got a new kit for Christmas with an Irish Stout refill.  I just started the stout and am interested to see how it turns out.  I am curious if it has changed with Cooper.  Right off I can see that the brewing process itself is a little easier than it was such as having just two lines marked 1 and 2 instead of measurements and the carbonation drops are definitely an improvement over having to measure out sugar.  I'll be interested to see if the beer is any different than I remember.

• Like 7

Hi PB,

I am returning myself. Hurricane Irma wiped out my supplies and its been rough recovering from that.

There's a lot of opinions about the drops. I was using glucose or corn sugar but most senior members like powder sugar.

Irish stout is a wonderful blend if bitters are desired. You can experiment with recipes once the process is relearned.

Best, M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pborder said:

I had a Mr Beer system years ago before Cooper bought them and for whatever reason just stopped brewing.  I just got a new kit for Christmas with an Irish Stout refill.  I just started the stout and am interested to see how it turns out.  I am curious if it has changed with Cooper.  Right off I can see that the brewing process itself is a little easier than it was such as having just two lines marked 1 and 2 instead of measurements and the carbonation drops are definitely an improvement over having to measure out sugar.  I'll be interested to see if the beer is any different than I remember.

MRB's come a long way since Cooper got 'em.  Some of the partial mash recipes make outstanding beers.

• Like 3

@pborder, @MnMBeer, welcome back. The Coopers products and proprietary Coopers fromdownunda yeast are vast improvements. As @Shrike commented, the partial mash recipes are very nice additions. Customer service is better. Many of the members participating in these forums have been here since before the transition and may be familiar to both of you. 

I too have recently come back! I am still batch priming though but love what I am seeing/tasting so far!

14 hours ago, pborder said:

Make sure to follow 3-4 and temperature control.

3 weeks fermenting with wort at 65 degrees.

4 weeks carbonating and conditioning in bottles at 70 or higher.

3 days in fridge for what you're ready to drink.

Irish Stout at around 24 hrs. Looking like a yeast party!  Not the best picture but the best I could do.

20181228_123525.jpg

• Like 4

Love to see those yeast doing their thing.

But be careful admitting to perving your beer.  You will get yelled at by @RickBeer 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just checked to be sure that they were doing their thang.  They can now party in peace for a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

Love to see those yeast doing their thing.

But be careful admitting to perving your beer.  You will get yelled at by @RickBeer 🤣🤣🤣

I perv mine all the time.  It's mine, I can look at it all I want!  😜 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i perv my fermenters when i can. buckets can be challenging.  ive a hard cider on the table at end of week 2.5  ive been watching. . . and. . . to prove it can be done, im lacto fermenting CANNED beets in the brine from my sweet potato experiment. i perv lacto bacteria too. they dont seem to mind.  i fully expect though that the texture will be more mushy than whole raw beets.. no worries.

wonder how many times you can reuse lacto brine before it starts making poopy of your fermentation?

8 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

i perv my fermenters when i can. buckets can be challenging.  ive a hard cider on the table at end of week 2.5  ive been watching. . . and. . . to prove it can be done, im lacto fermenting CANNED beets in the brine from my sweet potato experiment. i perv lacto bacteria too. they dont seem to mind.  i fully expect though that the texture will be more mushy than whole raw beets.. no worries.

wonder how many times you can reuse lacto brine before it starts making poopy of your fermentation?

I don't have an answer to that question.  But for the peppers I ferment for my hot sauces I use a tbsp of the brine from a previous batch whenever I start a new one, just to jump start fermentation.  I've never noticed any off flavors.  But then again, it's only a small portion of the total brine which is usually two cups.

And with that, I think we've fully hijacked this thread. :)

• Haha 2

the beauty of mr beer's system is its ease. one can always come back to it after storming off for whatever reason, losing interest, or when the smoke clears from familial turmoil and stuff.

plus... the lbk makes a great fermenter for just about anything... except beets. there i said it. now i dont feel so bad about hijacking the thread. i tried the canned beet ferment experiment. nice sour after 3 days and wow did those buggers foam!  i reused the entire brine without issue. the only complaint is that fresh beets have less muddy taste than canned. when i do fresh beet root it comes out like borscht. this time more like fizzy, sour, slightly muddy tasting soft beets... but i'll still eat it.  :)

• Haha 2