Mr.Beer Community
pborder

Light beer

The kit came with an American Light.  I generally don't drink light beers ( not even Sam Adams Light) so I wasn't too excited to see this.  It's been my experience that most light beers lack flavor.  Is this one different or is there something I should do to make it better?

If I were you, I would just brew it as is.  It is not going to be great beer but it will give you practice on your processes which is more important for a new brewer.

• Like 3

Yep, what BDawg said.  It'll help you get your process down.  And yes, it makes a rather bland beer.  So just drop a shot of bourbon in it when you drink them.  :)

Alternatively, you could set it aside until you've got some brews under your belt and then use it as a base HME for an existing MRB recipe.  Or you can try making your own.  I brew the CAL (Classic American Light) several times a year.  But I steep/mash some grains, add booster or LME, and use additional hops.  I've made some pretty tasty beers that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pborder said:

The kit came with an American Light.  I generally don't drink light beers ( not even Sam Adams Light) so I wasn't too excited to see this.  It's been my experience that most light beers lack flavor.  Is this one different or is there something I should do to make it better?

Lol, I hear you and I had the same in my first kit. I saved that one for awhile and brewed some other recipes until I got comfortable with the process and was getting some better results.

I did find a recipe and a use for it eventually that turned out pretty well, with better flavor and a bit more punch to it.