Mr.Beer Community
DrDave

My first bottling

Just finished bottling my first batch. I was skeptical that the beer was going to actually brew over the past three weeks, not sure why I didn’t have confidence but once I started bottling I was greeted with the most delicious bread like aroma, unmistakably beer (just flat of course). Had a little taste and was very good. You could also smell the alcohol so I guess the process worked. 

The bottling wand I bought proved useless. It fit nice but would barely flow. Yes I vented the top of the LBK, but even then. Ended up using a funnel and it worked fine.  Had enough brew for 8 and a half bottles. Can’t wait to try it. 

Interesting thing about the turb. You may recall my earlier post where my spigot was leaking and so would the wide mouth if I stood it on end. So I found an angle for the LBK where the solution wouldn’t rest against the spigot or lid. That’s how it brewed for three weeks. An artifact of this is that the turb accumulated in the back corner of the LBK away from the spigot. Because I didn’t have space in the refrigerator and garage is freezing cold, I had no convenient way to cold crash the brew. I decided since the turb was all down in the bottom back corner I would be ok. No problems bottling but I expect the beer will be cloudy/wheat like but that’s ok for this first batch. Next post will be taste testing the final product. 82C063F8-FBFA-422A-AF33-81FEA6117E0E.thumb.jpeg.24d7f29ec39dd511129193dc68dcfc7d.jpeg3FD7786D-2359-47E3-9C23-50CEE6484FBE.thumb.jpeg.9ba54a3ba9adf04f332c8cb7067bf758.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Just finished bottling my first batch. I was skeptical that the beer was going to actually brew over the past three weeks, not sure why I didn’t have confidence but once I started bottling I was greeted with the most delicious bread like aroma, unmistakably beer (just flat of course). Had a little taste and was very good. You could also smell the alcohol so I guess the process worked. 

The bottling wand I bought proved useless. It fit nice but would barely flow. Yes I vented the top of the LBK, but even then. Ended up using a funnel and it worked fine.  Had enough brew for 8 and a half bottles. Can’t wait to try it. 

Interesting thing about the turb. You may recall my earlier post where my spigot was leaking and so would the wide mouth if I stood it on end. So I found an angle for the LBK where the solution wouldn’t rest against the spigot or lid. That’s how it brewed for three weeks. An artifact of this is that the turb accumulated in the back corner of the LBK away from the spigot. Because I didn’t have space in the refrigerator and garage is freezing cold, I had no convenient way to cold crash the brew. I decided since the turb was all down in the bottom back corner I would be ok. No problems bottling but I expect the beer will be cloudy/wheat like but that’s ok for this first batch. Next post will be taste testing the final product. 82C063F8-FBFA-422A-AF33-81FEA6117E0E.thumb.jpeg.24d7f29ec39dd511129193dc68dcfc7d.jpeg3FD7786D-2359-47E3-9C23-50CEE6484FBE.thumb.jpeg.9ba54a3ba9adf04f332c8cb7067bf758.jpeg

Try the bottling wand using some tap water in your LBK but back it off a hair from being shoved too far up into the spigot. Shoved too firmly all the way right against  the ball valve will restrict the flow. A slight twist will loosen it a hair and the liquid will flow freely.

Congrats to your surviving some difficulties in your first batch!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cato said:

Try the bottling wand using some tap water in your LBK but back it off a hair from being shoved too far up into the spigot. Shoved too firmly all the way right against  the ball valve will restrict the flow. A slight twist will loosen it a hair and the liquid will flow freely.

This!  My first time using a bottling wand was very frustrating...until I learned to insert it all the way, then just pull it out a little (Giggity).  It worked like a charm after that.

And welcome down the slippery slope. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many of us don't cold crash. The yeast in suspension will settle during conditioning and your cold crash will occur during your three days in the fridge when your ready to try that first bottle.

• Thanks 1

Funnel might be aerating your beer, which is bad.

Practice wand with LBK filled with water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Funnel might be aerating your beer, which is bad.

Practice wand with LBK filled with water.

About the wand....mine arrived finally and I tried to use it when i bottled my last batch.  It didn't work very well.  Probably me.  I went back to the old fashioned way and just stuck the bottle under the spigot at a slant.  Much better

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cato said:

probably why my experience with the wand wasn't very successful.  I will try this next time i bottle, cause I like the idea of the wand... just not the results I got when I used it.  Maybe it was shoved up too far when I pressed the bottom of the first bottle against it too hard?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

probably why my experience with the wand wasn't very successful.  I will try this next time i bottle, cause I like the idea of the wand... just not the results I got when I used it.  Maybe it was shoved up too far when I pressed the bottom of the first bottle against it too hard?

Yeah, likely. Usually I have to adjust it at least once while bottling. Lot less trouble using it on my vertical fermenters since there's a short piece of hose between the spigot hose barb and the wand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

About the wand....mine arrived finally and I tried to use it when i bottled my last batch.  It didn't work very well.  Probably me.  I went back to the old fashioned way and just stuck the bottle under the spigot at a slant.  Much better

Theres two kinds of wands, spring and gravity. Gravity sucks, spring is awesome. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Theres two kinds of wands, spring and gravity. Gravity sucks, spring is awesome. 

The one I have has a spring but it kept air-locking, or something.  I got so frustrated with it on the 3rd bottle that I just pulled it off to go without - then realized I had forgot to flick the spigot's handle over first.  I lost a few ounces of the 3rd beer on the kitchen floor grasping (and gasping) for the handle.  Our dog thought that was an offering to her for being good -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again, practice using equipment with a fermenter full of water.  

I do not have the latest Mr. Beer LBKs, I've read that some find you have to move the wand around inside the spigot because of how it flows.  Pretty simply to take the spigot and look inside (holding it up to the light with it opened) to see the passageway, then play with the wand, again look through and see if the wand is blocking the passageway, etc, and then knowing how to position it when you're ready to bottle.

• Thanks 1