Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tjndaltx

Mr Beer American Lager Temperature

Hello gentleman (women) am I being politically correct?????

I would appreciate some advice.

I've had the Mr. Beer American Lager fermenting for about two weeks. I've got the LBK inside a plastic bin surrounded by frozen water bottles. It took me a while to get the temperature reading right but the temp inside the plastic bin was about 42 degrees. I think that lager is supposed to ferment at 45 - 55. I've since got the temp up to about 50 degrees.

With the 42 degree temperature have I compromised by brew in any way?

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, tjndaltx said:

I've had the Mr. Beer American Lager fermenting for about two weeks. I've got the LBK inside a plastic bin surrounded by frozen water bottles. It took me a while to get the temperature reading right but the temp inside the plastic bin was about 42 degrees. I think that lager is supposed to ferment at 45 - 55. I've since got the temp up to about 50 degrees.

Thank you.

If you're using the Mr Beer Fromdownunda yeast under the cap, you're way too cold. That yeast is an ale yeast and needs to be in the low 60's. You may have put your yeast to sleep and need to warm them up to get fermentation going. 

• Like 1

Wow, duh. Didn't intend to do that.

Okay, I'll remove the frozen ice bottles and warm up the keg.

Considering it's been fermenting for two weeks at too low a temperature how long should I allow it to ferment at a the higher 60's temp?

Thank you.

That depends on how much fermentation has occurred. Only way to tell is with a hydrometer or refractometer. The Mr Beer systems don't rely on those but Mr Beer does sell them. For now, leave the lid on the keg. Move the keg to a warmer area. Shine a flashlight into the keg from the bottom. You're looking for a layer of sediment. When fermentation is complete you will usually have about 1/4" thick layer. At the temperatures you've held your keg, your fermentation is not complete. Next shine the light in from one end. You're looking for a bubbles, foam, a ring on the side walls.  

At a temperature in the low 40s fermentation either stopped or never started to begin with. Warm up the keg to 62 to 66 degrees and let it ferment for at least 2 weeks, probably 3 weeks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @BDawg62, I was beginning to feel like I was alone on this ledge. LOL. Appreciate the comments from more experienced and knowledgeable brewers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tjndaltx said:

Thank you.

While the name says "Lager", it isn't.   It's crucial that a new brewer follow Mr. Beer's directions to learn the process.  There are very, very few lager recipes on the Mr. Beer site.  

• Like 1

If you kept the temperature that low from day one, probably nothing fermented. The good news is that the yeast are going to be OK. Most likely they have re-hydrated themselves, balanced themselves in terms of osmosis, but have not really started the fermentation process or reproduction. Truthfully, my gut feeling is to give the whole process a full three weeks again (yes I know that seems like a waste of two weeks gone by). Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

• Like 1