Mr.Beer Community
cconstantine307

Temperature Controller

Wanting to turn my old dorm mini-fridge into a fermenting fridge. Interested in buy the InkBird Controller off the website but am wondering if it would work with a small dorm fridge? I've been fermenting brews in a closet, but my newest recipe is calling for a bit warmer of temps than I'm willing to keep my apartment over the winter months. Any help is appreciated, thanks! And yes, I know I could just brew a different beer but my heart wants what my heart wants lol!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cconstantine307 said:

Wanting to turn my old dorm mini-fridge into a fermenting fridge. Interested in buy the InkBird Controller off the website but am wondering if it would work with a small dorm fridge? I've been fermenting brews in a closet, but my newest recipe is calling for a bit warmer of temps than I'm willing to keep my apartment over the winter months. Any help is appreciated, thanks! And yes, I know I could just brew a different beer but my heart wants what my heart wants lol!

You can heat and cool with the inkbird. I use a small 4.4 cu ft fridge in my garage and have a $25 fermentation heater that will kick on when needed and keep two fermenters within a degree of where I set it. Its a great little set up and will let you do ales or lagers whatever time of year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cato said:

You can heat and cool with the inkbird. I use a small 4.4 cu ft fridge in my garage and have a $25 fermentation heater that will kick on when needed and keep two fermenters within a degree of where I set it. Its a great little set up and will let you do ales or lagers whatever time of year.

I'm interested in this as well.  If I understand correctly, the Inkbird is the sensor that turns a heater on or off?  And the $25 heater you mention is ____?  I have the mini-fridge and I have 2 fermenters that I would like to control.  Also, C, when you mention that you can cool AND heat with the Inkbird, how do you cool with it?  Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is how I learn.  Anyone can answer who would like to.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

I'm interested in this as well.  If I understand correctly, the Inkbird is the sensor that turns a heater on or off?  And the $25 heater you mention is ____?  I have the mini-fridge and I have 2 fermenters that I would like to control.  Also, C, when you mention that you can cool AND heat with the Inkbird, how do you cool with it?  Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is how I learn.  Anyone can answer who would like to.  Thanks

The Inkbird has 2 outlets it will control to your settings. You plug your fridge into the cool side outlet, and your heating pad into the other. My fridge is in my kitchen so I don't use the heat outlet. Some people drill a hole to run the sensor wire through the fridge wall; I just have it running through the door opening. With the fridge set at maximum cooling, the Inkbird turns the power to the fridge on and off. The refrigerator's built in thermostat never controls operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

The inkbird is a temp controller that cuts the fridge on and off to maintain your setting. So you set it for say 65F and it will cool down to that temp and then shut the fridge off, or if it gets too cold it will kick the heater on. I don't use the heat side of it in the summer but it has a plug for the fridge, cool side, and a plug for a heat side, which I use when it gets to fall and winter weather.

It's programmable for both cooling and heating. Hard to beat for $40. The heater I use is a thin mylar sheet with heat strips embedded in it. I wrap it around my stainless fermenters, or for the LBK's, I just position it loosely by one and it'll keep the interior of the fridge close to the set temp. Works well.   https://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Brewer-COMINHKPR125665-Fermentation-Heater/dp/B01J1WZNM2/ref=asc_df_B01J1WZNM2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198078807540&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4557556369717772742&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008537&hvtargid=pla-349654863042&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 7:01 PM, D Kristof said:

The Inkbird has 2 outlets it will control to your settings. You plug your fridge into the cool side outlet, and your heating pad into the other. My fridge is in my kitchen so I don't use the heat outlet. Some people drill a hole to run the sensor wire through the fridge wall; I just have it running through the door opening. With the fridge set at maximum cooling, the Inkbird turns the power to the fridge on and off. The refrigerator's built in thermostat never controls operation.

Ingenious.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 7:06 PM, Cato said:

The inkbird is a temp controller that cuts the fridge on and off to maintain your setting. So you set it for say 65F and it will cool down to that temp and then shut the fridge off, or if it gets too cold it will kick the heater on. I don't use the heat side of it in the summer but it has a plug for the fridge, cool side, and a plug for a heat side, which I use when it gets to fall and winter weather.

It's programmable for both cooling and heating. Hard to beat for $40. The heater I use is a thin mylar sheet with heat strips embedded in it. I wrap it around my stainless fermenters, or for the LBK's, I just position it loosely by one and it'll keep the interior of the fridge close to the set temp. Works well.   https://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Brewer-COMINHKPR125665-Fermentation-Heater/dp/B01J1WZNM2/ref=asc_df_B01J1WZNM2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198078807540&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4557556369717772742&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008537&hvtargid=pla-349654863042&psc=1

Thanks a ton Cato.  You and Kristof have made me understand what it is you're both doing.  Now I think I can make my system work something like this too.  I found an Inkbird on Amazon.  The heater I will follow your link!  Really appreciate your help here, thanks!

• Like 2