Mr.Beer Community
greyhound

Looking for an older Surly Dog IPA recipe

I think MrBeer changed this recipe in the last 12 - 18 months.  I brew a batch as a Christmas gift each year and I don't think this year's recipe (2018) was the same.  Does anyone have a printout containing the older recipe list of ingredients and brew instructions?

Thanks in advance

Not sure of the exact instructions of the original recipe. But you can probably follow the current instructions with the old recipe ingredients. . Here is the original ingredients. 

Surly Dog IPA
2 American Ale HME
2  1/2 oz Centennial hops
1  1/2 oz. Columbus hops
1 cup honey
US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

Thanks Cisco.  That's what I was looking for.  Old recipe used 2 packets of Centennial and 1 of Columbus hops; new recipe 3 packets of Columbus.  That aside, recipes and brewing instructions are identical.  But when I did the new recipe, it came out quite a bit darker and flavor not the same as before (I've brewed this recipe 4 -5 times now).  Could the different hops make that difference?  Wondering if the American Ale SME is different now??  

3 hours ago, greyhound said:

Thanks Cisco.  That's what I was looking for.  Old recipe used 2 packets of Centennial and 1 of Columbus hops; new recipe 3 packets of Columbus.  That aside, recipes and brewing instructions are identical.  But when I did the new recipe, it came out quite a bit darker and flavor not the same as before (I've brewed this recipe 4 -5 times now).  Could the different hops make that difference?  Wondering if the American Ale SME is different now??  

Do you remember what the expiration date on the can of HME was?  As HME gets older, it darkens a bit.

Afraid not. Will just have to try again - and look at expiration date. Change of hops shouldn’t make that much difference should it?